Covers Which You Prefer to Originals

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
In Flames we trust!

EDIT: I like music threads and spreading music to people who may like it so I'll add more (a lot of hard rock/metal stuff)]

Hope someone enjoys any of those, I spent a while on this edit :p

EDIT #2
thats officially all

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
I've always preferred Opeth's cover of Soldier of Fortune to Deep Purple's original of the song. Mostly because I don't like Coverdale's voice, like at all. And I do adore Åkerfeldt's voice.

<youtube=7vYixpbff9Y>

Doog0AD

Apr 23, 2010
BreakfastMan said:
Wait, didn't we have this same thread a couple months ago? I think so.

OT: Nightwish's cover of Over Hills And Far Away is better than the Gary Moore original IMO. I mean, the original is good, but Nightwish did it so much better.

The cover:
The original:

EDIT: I agree with you on Madworld too. Yeah, the original Tears for Fears version is good, but Jules just seems to get across what the song is about so much better. The music in the Tears for Fears version is just way too upbeat for a song whose chorus contains the line "the dreams in which I'm dieing are the best I've ever had".
...HERESY!

That being said, my own personal favorite "cover that's better than the original" is B.B King's "The Thril is Gone" (no, that wasn't actually written by him). Another really spectacular one is Eric Clapton's Crossroads, technically a Robert Johnson cover, although the difference in musical style is so big that it's hard to call it an actual cover. It's more of an homage.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Anything covered by Richard Cheese becomes awesome.
The original The cover
The original The cover
The original The cover

TyrantGanado

Oct 21, 2009
Rage Against the Machine's cover of How I Could Just Kill A Man has more oomph than the Cypress Hill version. For that reason I suggest it as my offering.

TobiasFunke

May 17, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
Mostly just Pearl Jam's cover of Last Kiss.

Though I do like AiC's Would covered by Opeth as a metal song. I would say its better, but that band probably did the best job at not just covering, but transferring genres.
Opeth's cover of Would is amazing as is everything Pearl Jam does brilliant choices :)

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
TobiasFunke said:
emeraldrafael said:

Though I do like AiC's Would covered by Opeth as a metal song. I would say its better, but that band probably did the best job at not just covering, but transferring genres.
Opeth's cover of Would is amazing as is everything Pearl Jam does brilliant choices :)
I never knew Opeth covered that until your post (which is odd because I really like both AiC and Opeth. Thank you sir.

Err, guess I quoted the wrong guy. oh well lol

Adamc-mh

Jun 6, 2010
White Strips cover of One More Cup Of Coffee was a little better than Dylan's more or less because it doesn't feel worn out by the end. Also not so sure if it would be counted as a cover but Lou Reed's cover of Satilite of love

iphonerose

May 20, 2011
Sweet dreams as mentioned above is a classic but also
i think the man who sold the world nirvana is better than the bowie version:

and

hallelujah jeff buckley is better than the leonard cohen version:

and finally i prefer the smashing pumpkins version of landslide to fleetwood mac

But with all that said, you really have to appreciate the originals for all these songs!

TobiasFunke

May 17, 2011
KefkaCultist said:
TobiasFunke said:
emeraldrafael said:

I never knew Opeth covered that until your post (which is odd because I really like both AiC and Opeth. Thank you sir.

Err, guess I quoted the wrong guy. oh well lol
Either way you came across an amazing cover :)

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Viking Incognito said:
Aside from the ones you said already, I prefer the Alien Ant Farm version of smooth criminal.
I'm a fan of Fall Out Boy's cover of Beat It, too.

And the Glee cover of Don't Stop Believin'
Actually, on a Michael Jackson theme (ish), I loved their mashup of Thriller too.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Heartbeats - Jose Gonzalez
Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
Hurt - Johnny Cash
So What - Metallica
And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda - The Pogues
The Man Who Sold the World - Nirvana
Way Down in the Hole (The Wire theme) - The Bind Boys of Alabama
Rosalie - Thin Lizzy

Sentient6

Nov 26, 2009
Motorhead - Whiplash (originally by Metallica)
Motorhead - Enter Sandman (or. Metallica)
Motorhead - Breaking the Law (or. Judas Priest)
Motorhead - Hellraiser (or. Ozzy)
Motorhead - It's a Long Way to the Top (or. AC/DC)
Nevermore - Sound of Silence (or. Paul Simon, iirc)
Slayer - Born to be Wild (or. Steppenwolf)
Blind Guardian - In-a-gadda-da-vidda (or. Iron Butterfly)
Iced Earth - Cities on Flame (or. Blue Oyster Cult)
Exodus - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (or. AC/DC)
Iced Earth - God of Thunder (or. KISS)
Primal Fear - Kill the King (or. Rainbow (RJ Dio's band))
In Flames - Land of Confusion (or. Genesis)
System of a Down - Metro (or. Berlin)
System of a Down - Snowblind (or. Black Sabbath)
Cradle of Filth - Temptation (or. Heaven 17)

Those are just off the top of my head.