COVID-19 Vaccine to be Available to All Adults by May 1st

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Basically, during a primetime speech, Biden is apparently going to order all states to make the Covid 19 vaccine available to all adults by May 1st, according to his administration.

This doesn't mean all adults will actually be able to get the shot on May 1st, mind you. It just means that they will be eligible should the vaccine be avaiable.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
It'll be curious to see how that actually works. According to my states current roadmap, we won't even have gotten to 16 year old's and older with underlying health conditions vaccinated by May (that is the group I'm "supposed" to be in and according to our current chart, that is supposed to start between May and June).

While I can appreciate them wanting to get this show on the road, it's a dangerous game being played if there are still people out there SUPER vulnerable to COVID having their shots delayed because Karen doesn't want to have to keep wearing a mask in Target because it infringes on her rights or some shit and she jumps in the line ahead of them...

Though our timeline is expected to move up considerably according to unofficial channels so maybe this issue will be a moot point once that "officially" happens. There just seems to be a LOT that can go wrong with an announcement like this but presumably Biden and The US Government has a lot more information on what they expect our vaccination levels to be.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
This is actually bad. He's basically saying it's a free for all, by May 1, where everyone is going to fight for appointments as if they were the next-gen consoles.

Also, my state is doing 50 plus, and it's impossible to get an appointment, and all because we don't want to waste shots.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This is actually bad. He's basically saying it's a free for all, by May 1, where everyone is going to fight for appointments as if they were the next-gen consoles.

Also, my state is doing 50 plus, and it's impossible to get an appointment, and all because we don't want to waste shots.
Keep in mind May 1st is over a month away, considering the purchases Biden has the fed making for vaccines and the newer single dose Pfizer, there is a decent chance this is a realistic time table. Assuming the mutations/anti-vaxxers don't fuck with things.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008

That's my big worry. I was kind of hoping that with this news, Minnesota would update their COVID Shot eligibility but as of right now at least, it's still marked 16+ with underlying health conditions as being eligible in May (which is when Biden is saying everyone needs to be eligible for).

Having to hide myself from the world for so long because having Asthma and getting a disease that attacks lungs seem like a really bad combo (how in the hell The CDC doesn't consider Asthma as a "High Risk" disease baffles me) but now there's the real possibility that I'm going to have to fight a bunch of perfectly healthy people for a vaccine is a very worrying prospect...

I'm REALLY hoping this Roadmap gets updated because I do not look forward to the fight if I just get tossed into the mosh pit with everyone :(

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Keep in mind May 1st is over a month away, considering the purchases Biden has the fed making for vaccines and the newer single dose Pfizer, there is a decent chance this is a realistic time table. Assuming the mutations/anti-vaxxers don't fuck with things.
Funny enough I am so angry, and the pessimistic part of me wants more people to not want to take the vaccine so that I or my parents or my family can get it.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Funny enough I am so angry, and the pessimistic part of me wants more people to not want to take the vaccine so that I or my parents or my family can get it.
I mean I can understand the underlying idea behind this but vaccines work in a non-intuitive way. Even if it takes you awhile to be able to get, if more and more other people get it, you and your family get some protection from it just because the possible disease vectors are reduced.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I mean I can understand the underlying idea behind this but vaccines work in a non-intuitive way. Even if it takes you awhile to be able to get, if more and more other people get it, you and your family get some protection from it just because the possible disease vectors are reduced.
Except I still can't get an appointment. No matter how many times I look online.

My state should have done 55-60, then 50-55. This is all stupid PR anyways. Being eligible does not mean getting it. All the appointments are booked.

Reactions: tippy2k2

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Except I still can't get an appointment. No matter how many times I look online.

My state should have done 55-60, then 50-55. This is all stupid PR anyways. Being eligible does not mean getting it. All the appointments are booked.
I know some people with diabetes that have gotten the vaccine but my folks who are certainly in the age group haven't been able to yet. Still, as long as more and more people are getting it then we are being helped.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

That was Jan 21.

As of the time of when I posted this, we're at 98,203,893 doses administered, with 10% of the US population fully vaccinated.

We're at day 50.

He's going to blow past his goal with 49 days to spare.

Florida is already amending the age limit for those who can sign up for vaccine. No one here can take it under a certain age unless you're a first responder

Governor DeSantis has expanded the groups eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine in Florida. Beginning March 3, eligible residents include:

• Long-term care facility residents and staff;
  • Persons 65 years of age and older;
  • Persons under 65 deemed medically vulnerable by a physician;
  • Health care personnel with direct patient contact;
  • K-12 school employees 50 years of age and older;
  • Sworn law enforcement officers 50 years of age and older; and
  • Firefighters 50 years of age and older
I'm not going to say it's going to be easy to get the vaccine. But if we keep chipping away at the number, we will eventually all get it. It's up to us to stay as safe as possible, be extra cautious than you were before, and keep ourselves healthy so we can return to normal.

Reactions: Worgen

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'm not going to say it's going to be easy to get the vaccine. But if we keep chipping away at the number, we will eventually all get it. It's up to us to stay as safe as possible, be extra cautious than you were before, and keep ourselves healthy so we can return to normal.
Define "all". Even if it's possible that everyone can get it, a lot of people will refuse because 'Merica.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Define "all". Even if it's possible that everyone can get it, a lot of people will refuse because 'Merica.
More like some people will reject it, most won't get it, and some will get it.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It'll be curious to see how that actually works. According to my states current roadmap, we won't even have gotten to 16 year old's and older with underlying health conditions vaccinated by May (that is the group I'm "supposed" to be in and according to our current chart, that is supposed to start between May and June).
I'd be surprised, unless your state is overwhelmingly poor on the vaccine administration. There should be another 100+ million shots administered nationwide by the end of April, which means a full third of the USA could be vaccinated, so all people in vulnerable categories (elderly, relevant health conditions) should be done by then at which point it may as well be opened to everyone.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I'd be surprised, unless your state is overwhelmingly poor on the vaccine administration. There should be another 100+ million shots administered nationwide by the end of April, which means a full third of the USA could be vaccinated, so all people in vulnerable categories (elderly, relevant health conditions) should be done by then at which point it may as well be opened to everyone.
Presumably this will all push up like we expect it to. We're at (according to them at least) 70% of 65+ seniors having their shots, which was like...three weeks earlier than expected.

The Johnson & Johnson vaccine seemed to be a real game changer in the timeline so my hope is that they just are being overly cautious with the timeline (under promise and overdeliver) but it'll be a lot more comforting to me if the sped up timeline gets officially recognized :D

I get why people like Gregar and myself are a little worried about this announcement but I'm a lot more optimistic that their timeline will prove to be perfectly fine and my worry of The Mosh Pitt style fight for vaccines between people who are high risk and people who are perfectly healthy is nothing but doom and gloom pessimism from being so used to being let down by our government.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I get why people like Gregar and myself are a little worried about this announcement but I'm a lot more optimistic that their timeline will prove to be perfectly fine and my worry of The Mosh Pitt style fight for vaccines between people who are high risk and people who are perfectly healthy is nothing but doom and gloom pessimism from being so used to being let down by our government.
I think it's fascinating that having so spectacularly ballsed up handling covid, the USA and UK pretty much nailed the vaccine stuff spot on. The USA may have been helped in this by the departure of President SunnyD.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I think it's fascinating that having so spectacularly ballsed up handling covid, the USA and UK pretty much nailed the vaccine stuff spot on. The USA may have been helped in this by the departure of President SunnyD.
I've made it no secret that Mr Nothing will Fundamentally Change is not a guy I like but credit where due (assuming the Mosh Pitt Fight doesn't occur), the handling of the vaccine rollout part has so far gone very well.

Results do vary state to state of course but the Federal part of the vaccine rollout has gone about as well as it could have as of now at least.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I know some people with diabetes that have gotten the vaccine but my folks who are certainly in the age group haven't been able to yet. Still, as long as more and more people are getting it then we are being helped.
It's insane, they should have done a lottery system based on risk group, and age.

It's a free for all, and while I usually like to help protect the global south, I am skeptical of us exporting our vaccines as well. Because if one top 3(J&J, Pfizer, or Moderna vaccine) gets shipped on the US government's dime despite the fact that my family doesn't take vacations that often, and my mother can't get it, I will be livid.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It's insane, they should have done a lottery system based on risk group, and age.

It's a free for all, and while I usually like to help protect the global south, I am skeptical of us exporting our vaccines as well. Because if one top 3(J&J, Pfizer, or Moderna vaccine) gets shipped on the US government's dime despite the fact that my family doesn't take vacations that often, and my mother can't get it, I will be livid.
Eventually it will be available to everyone. The bigger risk is that states open before that time and shit gets fucked again.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Because they are the world's imperialists.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Eventually it will be available to everyone. The bigger risk is that states open before that time and shit gets fucked again.
Eventually or available does not mean getting an appointment before May 1.

I just went to my county appointment websites. All appointments are booked from today to April 30. And Biden wants to have this available to everyone by May 1.

I will tell you who is getting it people who. (not people who are getting it who need it)

Know how to navigate medical-based appointments

Connected, or rich people

In theory, people like me have lots of free time and can get on a waitlist, and can go anywhere within 30 minutes for possibly wasted doses. (Also if you have free time, you can get on a waitlist)