COVID-19 Vaccine to be Available to All Adults by May 1st

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Refrigerated trucks are nothing new, especially when talking about medical supplies - a lot of injected mediations have to be kept cold to stay good. Depending on how cold we're talking either a refrigerated truck or shipping it in a dewar - neither is super difficult.
These vaccines needs to be stored at particularly cold temperatures; some say -20oC and others -70oC, although it may depend on how soon the vaccine is expected to be used. This is far from insurmountable, but nor is it totally straightforward, as very few refrigerated trucks are designed for that sort of coldness and there are huge quantities of vaccine to deliver.

I would also guess they are not using a dewar: that's going to be stupidly expensive and impractical. Conventionally most chemicals companies pack these sorts of unstable molecules for transit (e.g. for biological research) in a polystyrene box filled with dry ice. I'm guessing they are probably using something intermediate between polystyrene and a dewar filled with dry ice.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
It was kind of a pain in the dick (reminded me too much of trying to get a Series X but instead of doing all the work only to be told I can't buy a console, I do all the work only to be told JK NO APPOINTMENTS LIKE WE SAID THERE WERE LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL) but I got myself an appointment!

While still slightly a shit show as there is currently a mad rush to get the vaccines and getting an appointment is far more about luck than it is about anything else (I WFH so I can just sit here and hit refresh constantly), it seems to not be a huge issue yet. Although that's easy for me to say seeing as I have my appointment setup, I can't imagine what kind of a pain this would be if you weren't tech savvy.

Hopefully that's something that will also improve as the floodgates opening to everyone JUST opened now so in theory it'll calm down a bit more as a few weeks go by...

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Yeah, I'm not even going to bother trying until sometime around mid-April.
I basically just got lucky. If I didn't have Asthma, I'd probably have just waited for a few weeks for some of the demand to drop and supply to go up but I have no idea how COVID would react to my stupid broken body so I went to my computer every few minutes and hit refresh and hoped I'd luck out.

Even though we're still "supposed" to be under the mask mandate, I'm seeing people playing fast and loose with those rules more often now as people go Chin Diaper on it or have their nose uncovered or in a few cases, they just don't have their mask on period. So I figured it was worth the time and effort it would take to try to get the vaccine the second I was able to given my health history...

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I got my first Pfizer shot yesterday

Except for an incredibly strong desire to go buy a Zune player, I feel pretty much fine. Arm is a little sore but otherwise fine (my head hurts but that was a preexisting condition with my chronic headaches so I'm not sure if this is "normal Tippy headaches" or "vaccine headaches"). I have heard though that if the vaccine is going to hit you like a truck, it is shot #2 that does it...

Getting an appointment is still nothing but a giant clusterfuck right now. As stated before, I just got insanely lucky that a time popped up when I happened to hit refresh on the page and I know at least a handful of higher risk people who have been doing what I did and hitting refresh every few minutes just hoping for something to show up to do so. If you go way out of the cities (like...2+ hour drives), it's a bit easier to find the shots but not everyone can just do that...

On the plus side, every doctor I've talked to about it has said that they are expecting more and more vaccines to show up and the demand to start slowly dwindling (since once you have your shot, you presumably have stopped trying to get an appointment) so hopefully wtihin the next few weeks, the prediction that getting the COVID vaccine will be just as easy as signing up for your flu shot will come to pass.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Here's a really sad thought: I'm having some regrets about getting into shape and losing so much weight. If I hadn't, I'd still be obese and qualify for "early" vaccination in our country.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Here's a really sad thought: I'm having some regrets about getting into shape and losing so much weight. If I hadn't, I'd still be obese and qualify for "early" vaccination in our country.
Yeah, being obese also made you qualify for other special health "extras".

You're definitely better off now.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I would argue the increased risk due to obesity of being hospitalized or dying from covid if you had contracted it over the course of the last year strongly outweighs the decreased risk of contraction for the last couple months of waiting for vaccination.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Make sure you report that - otherwise it could be an important side effect that goes unrecorded.
There are some wierd side effects out there.

Though I think I'd be okay with a temporary boost to my knowledge of Judaism through the beard would be an annoyance. Is the beard mandatory? I don't think I've ever seen a photo of a rabbi without a beard and I don't know any rabbis in real life.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Got my second Phizer shot a week ago. Felt generically shitty for a few days. Roommate got laid out for two days with COVIDish symptoms.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Got my 1st dose of the Moderna vaccine.

So far side effects are mild.

Also, possibly unrelated, I've got that one nickleback song stuck in my head.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Getting my first shot next week.

I wasn't planning on getting it for a while. I'm not in a high risk group and I didn't really feel like waiting in line or trying to fight the appointment website. Then the company I work for bought a load of the pfizer vaccine to vaccinate all employees who want it, family members of employees, and anyone an employee lives with including roommates which is a pretty sweet deal.