COVID-19 Vaccine to be Available to All Adults by May 1st

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Eventually or available does not mean getting an appointment before May 1.

I just went to my county appointment websites. All appointments are booked from today to April 30. And Biden wants to have this available to everyone by May 1.

I will tell you who is getting it people who. (not people who are getting it who need it)

Know how to navigate medical-based appointments

Connected, or rich people

In theory, people like me have lots of free time and can get on a waitlist, and can go anywhere within 30 minutes for possibly wasted doses. (Also if you have free time, you can get on a waitlist)
All the people I know that got the vaccine so far have had diabetes or are health care workers. I suppose the healthcare worker technically has connections but the others are just higher on the need aspect.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
All the people I know that got the vaccine so far have had diabetes or are health care workers. I suppose the healthcare worker technically has connections but the others are just higher on the need aspect.
All the people you know are anecdotical. I am talking about trends for example.

So now I have to fight for vaccines as if it's a goddamn sneaker or PS5 with bots in the fray. Bullshit it's just a way the rich, technically technology-adapted, and so fore are taking advantage of the system against those who can't afford to pay.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

So now I have to fight for vaccines as if it's a goddamn sneaker or PS5 with bots in the fray. Bullshit it's just a way the rich, technically technology-adapted, and so fore are taking advantage of the system against those who can't afford to pay.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
If this were a more lethal disease I would be dead, and so would my family along with a significant portion of America.

This will likely be the most important post I post, but life is an arms race whether you want it or not.

When you are born depending on your zip code, location, country, and etc., your destiny is already being shaped but has not been formed completely.

When your 4 depending on whether your parents have read to you or not, or how many diseases you have, it will impact your life.

When you're in primary school, and secondary school(or elementary, and middle), how well you do in your subjects will determine how well you do in high school

When you're in high school how well you do in your subjects, outside of school activities, and friends will determine how well you do in college. Also whether you have taken AP classes.

When you in college what you major in, and what you invest your time, and money in will determine the rest of your life for most, but not all.

When you get out of college, and or trade school what job you get in the beginning will determine your salary for your working years.

When you retire is only when your life-based grade-card comes in, and for those who have done well in the above, they will reap the rewards.

And at EVERY stage someone(more likely hundreds of millions to billions) is competing against you.

This is the tale of the pre-scarcity world

My college didn't teach me any of this, my parents didn't know, I had no mentors telling me this. I am going to try to change my life with this information, but it won't help other cards have already been stacked against me, but I sure as shit am not coming in last.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
This pandemic really made me realise how significant a centralized healthcare system is.

Like, the handling of COVID in the UK has been absolute dogshit, but that's mostly on the government. One thing I can say is that the vaccine program is going pretty well, and that is clearly due to the presence of a centralized national health service.

I was called up for my first injection a couple of weeks ago. I made an appointment for the next day, queued for about an hour and it was done. My parents had their first injection a couple of months ago, some of my friends are getting called up now. Basically, it really hammers home the importance of having a single body with access to all the relevant information and which can prioritize people on a national level.

By the way, if you're getting the first injection, be ready to maybe take a day off. My household all had the pfizer vaccine and we all felt really out of it for a day or so. For me it wasn't bad, I just felt like I'd eaten an edible or something, but my housemate and parents felt pretty rough afterwards.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
If this were a more lethal disease I would be dead, and so would my family along with a significant portion of America.

This will likely be the most important post I post, but life is an arms race whether you want it or not.

When you are born depending on your zip code, location, country, and etc., your destiny is already being shaped but has not been formed completely.

When your 4 depending on whether your parents have read to you or not, or how many diseases you have, it will impact your life.

When you're in primary school, and secondary school(or elementary, and middle), how well you do in your subjects will determine how well you do in high school

When you're in high school how well you do in your subjects, outside of school activities, and friends will determine how well you do in college. Also whether you have taken AP classes.

When you in college what you major in, and what you invest your time, and money in will determine the rest of your life for most, but not all.

When you get out of college, and or trade school what job you get in the beginning will determine your salary for your working years.

When you retire is only when your life-based grade-card comes in, and for those who have done well in the above, they will reap the rewards.

And at EVERY stage someone(more likely hundreds of millions to billions) is competing against you.

This is the tale of the pre-scarcity world

My college didn't teach me any of this, my parents didn't know, I had no mentors telling me this. I am going to try to change my life with this information, but it won't help other cards have already been stacked against me, but I sure as shit am not coming in last.
What the hell are you talking about? I mean I know what you are saying but this doesn't really matter with the vaccine since we are still increasing production and the more people have it, the less likely you are to get infected even if you haven't been able to get it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Once supply starts reaching parity with demand, this should become less of an issue. It's just the staggering scale of this whole thing is the problem and it's been like 4-5 months since the first Vaccine was announced. The fact the previous administration in the US never really gave a shit about Covid meant that distribution and production ramp up was starting from a place far behind where it really should have been.

We've got, aprox 8 Billion people in the world and 330 million(or 210 million adults) or so in the US alone and most of them will need 2 doses each to reach immunity status(factor in the 80-95% effectiveness). I mean, that's a staggering number of people to produce and distribute to and it was always gonna take time. Even if the first world nations get fully vaccinated this year, or at least Herd Immunity levels, we've still got the rest of the world which will take quite a bit longer if they ever do.

At least there's not a bunch of COVID scalpers(that I know about, anyway), though the PS5 thing is also a supply issue(because of the lack of microprocessors to make them)

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

On one hand, I will be competing with all other 16+ in Ohio, on the other hand.

1615919303437.png

Reactions: Kyrian007

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Like, the handling of COVID in the UK has been absolute dogshit, but that's mostly on the government.
Indeed. The two primary reasons for the utterly awful UK response were; 1) the late, poorly-communicated, inconsistent lockdowns (for which the government takes responsibility, as these were entirely their calls); and 2) the abject failure of the test-and-trace system (for which the private company Serco is to blame, as well as the government for handing the contract to them in the first place).

None of this is on the NHS, who have responded very well, and handled vaccine distribution successfully. Only to be handed a real-terms wage cut by the government... all while the government rides high in opinion polls as a direct result of the successful vaccination effort.

I fucking despair.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
By the way, if you're getting the first injection, be ready to maybe take a day off. My household all had the pfizer vaccine and we all felt really out of it for a day or so. For me it wasn't bad, I just felt like I'd eaten an edible or something, but my housemate and parents felt pretty rough afterwards.
My mum said the same thing -- she basically had a two days of flu symptoms then was okay. I'm going to schedule a day off for mine. And eat an edible.

all while the government rides high in opinion polls as a direct result of the successful vaccination effort.

I fucking despair.
Prior to the last two or three years I hadn't given much thought to leaving the UK -- I'm fairly settled here, have a nice house, steady work, lots of tools, and things are mostly okay. But if I can make it work now, it's gotta happen. Like, what the fuck happened?! (Obviously I should have done this before Brexit.)

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
I find it kinda hilarious America had trouble wearing masks but we can somehow vaccinate more people in a single day than most countries have vaccinated so far

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I find it kinda hilarious America had trouble wearing masks but we can somehow vaccinate more people in a single day than most countries have vaccinated so far
There's no money to be made in people having masks. But when Health Care Industry can make some money, you better fucking believe they're going to be super efficient about it!!!

So I suppose that's one benefit to having an awful for-profit health care industry? Biden was right all along when he said he'd veto M4A!

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Just spoke to my doctor, apparently, the J&J or Johnson, and Johnson vaccine is mostly done in rural areas whereas the more potent Moderna, and Pfizer vaccines are given to more willing people in cities due to it being 2 shots which sucks since I wanted the J&J one.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Just spoke to my doctor, apparently, the J&J or Johnson, and Johnson vaccine is mostly done in rural areas whereas the more potent Moderna, and Pfizer vaccines are given to more willing people in cities due to it being 2 shots which sucks since I wanted the J&J one.
That and IIRC, Moderns and Pfizer have to be kept super cold where J&J can be room temperature and be fine. So getting J&J to rural areas is much easier than getting the other two there.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
That and IIRC, Moderns and Pfizer have to be kept super cold where J&J can be room temperature and be fine. So getting J&J to rural areas is much easier than getting the other two there.
Plus, J&J requires only one dosage. Might be a significant convenience for people who need to drive miles to a nearest shot station.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008

This was exactly what I was worried about with this announcement by Biden...

We're skipping over a bunch of high risk diseases and frontline workers who get to deal with the public and just opening it up to everyone instead. Which I guess ultimately would happen anyway and maybe this won't be a giant clusterfuck. I guess only time will tell...

EDIT: According to my Physical Therapist (who would be considered a health care worker and therefore gets the emailed information from the government and whatnot about the vaccine stuff), evidently we're expecting a huge boost in our vaccine supply next week so this is basically in anticipation of that and not risking losing shots. Be interesting to see if this plays out like they want it to or if it'll end up being a fight where a ton of perfectly healthy people jump the line ahead of people who are more vulnerable to COVID or if there will be enough supply for at least most vulnerable to get their stick.

Last edited:

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
My mum said the same thing -- she basically had a two days of flu symptoms then was okay. I'm going to schedule a day off for mine. And eat an edible.
I had my first Moderna shot weekend before last. Had a large painful knot at the injection site for three days and a headache for a couple of hours after the shot but was otherwise OK. My wife had bad nausea for a couple of days. I would have tried your last suggestion, but my workplace tests so I have to avoid that stuff.

Had to drive to a Walgreen's in the middle of nowhere to get it though.

Refrigerated trucks are nothing new, especially when talking about medical supplies - a lot of injected mediations have to be kept cold to stay good. Depending on how cold we're talking either a refrigerated truck or shipping it in a dewar - neither is super difficult.

Plus, J&J requires only one dosage. Might be a significant convenience for people who need to drive miles to a nearest shot station.
For me, that was over an hour down a tiny 2 lane road that was literally the only road through there. Pretty area though. Also wasn't the nearest place one could be administered, was just the one that had some cancellations and thus we could get in at. Actually two counties away form home. I'm actually pretty close to another place they're administered there just weren't slots available there.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Refrigerated trucks are nothing new, especially when talking about medical supplies - a lot of injected mediations have to be kept cold to stay good. Depending on how cold we're talking either a refrigerated truck or shipping it in a dewar - neither is super difficult.
My recollection is it has to stay below freezing and there's not a lot of room for error in this as it doesn't take more than a few hours of room temp to destroy the vaccine.

While yes, we do have tech to get these shots where they need, that is one complication J&J doesn't have, making it lower risk to bring to the rural middle of nowhere places. That's why J&J has been the more popular vaccine in rural areas for the government; just has less things that can go wrong with it getting it where it needs to go (plus J&J requires one shot instead of two, making it more likely people will get their full dosages since they'll likely have to drive a decent way to get to their shots if they live in places where your nearest neighbor is three miles down the road. If they have to do it twice, more likely they won't).