Cowabunga Collection!: It's Totally Tubluar!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Loving this collection already. I'll try the online tomorrow, as I am just doing single player stuff for now, and checking the bonus features.

@Dalisclock, will I need a prayer when I get to the DAM level? Will I be forsaken?

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Loving this collection already. I'll try the online tomorrow, as I am just doing single player stuff for now, and checking the bonus features.

@Dalisclock, will I need a prayer when I get to the DAM level? Will I be forsaken?

I suggest praying to whatever God(s) you believe in and then a couple more to be safe.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I finished the Arcade Game (NES). Easier than the first NES games, but still tough. Konami and many game companies hated kids renting these games. Who's idea was it for a single score system. Every enemy is worth 1 point. Even the tougher variants and mini bosses. If you play the Japanese version, your jump kicks do double the damage as a special attack, and it goes for pinball scoring. This makes it easier to gain extra lives. You fight less enemies in the Japanese version too. I beat the game with 1 life left. This collection does the unfortunate thing of locking achievements behind the USA versions of games only. You want to the achievement of beating the game? You have to play and beat the American version! Beating the Japanese versions does nothing. What is with Konami Collection games doing this? Castlevania and Contra Collection did the same thing! You can still use the lives cheat and not get penalized, so their are some saving graces.

I will say this game and Manhattan Project have variety in level design and enemy types. MP has the most and better variety of course, but it's still amazing. All that enemy variety, even though you're fighting the same Foot Ninjas 80-85% of the time, but a different color outfit and weapons. Though the further you go, most of the purple Foot Ninjas get additional moves, along with some the colored variations. They even have level specific ones where they will throw snowballs or sand in your eyes depending on the game. Goes to show what you can accomplish with limited hardware.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I finished Manhattan Project. Definitely the best of the NES games, but is the longest. The final level is a straight up marathon, and you only get pizza after difficult sections. One before the mini boss, and then another a few screens afterward. Konami went all out on this, and was their last Turtle brawler (I did not say tournament fighter) on the NES. Everyone important is here. Controversy to say, MP has the best Super Shredder fight. TinT and HPSH (he's slightly faster than his SNES counterpart) have mirror each other, but Super Shredder attack patterns are so simple they make him a joke. Other than easy to dodge one hit kill, there is not much challenge. While MP_SS fights like a cross between Akuma and Ryu. His fireball can turn you in to a baby turtle, but it won't kill you in one hit. It'll take a 1/3 of your health. Fun game, but still difficult.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I tried the online, and it definitely needs work. Two people usually wors between fine to surprisingly decent. Get more than two, and the delay hurts so much. DE should have used rollback net code, but since Konami is funding the compilation, they went for the cheap standard. Hyperstone Heist works good online, but the person playing with me dropped out, because they were not used to the game's difficulty and controls and assumed he could just button mash his way out. They were doing okay, except when encountering bosses.