CPEC Is off to a fine start

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I'm also curious just how well known this symbol is.
It's not.

Like...I'm aware of the Swastika obviously and the SS Thunderbolt but had you shown me this symbol and asked me what it meant, I probably would have guessed some kind of Cancer Awareness Fund (specifically Breast Cancer with their pink ribbon design). I honestly don't know if this is something you would expect the "common" person to know or not.
Swastikas and SS thunderbolts are probably the limits of stuff that looks obviously and distinctly Nazi. That German cross with the arms flaring out is probably heavily associated with the Nazis, although has a much longer and wider tradition with Germany.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
If I saw that rune out of context, I'd dismiss it as generic fantasy or something.

However, having been shown the context, I don't see why we should give them the benefit of the doubt. This is the stuff dog whistles are made of, casual coincidences that are only really meaningful to their intended audience.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Might be coincidental, might not be. Of course, if it's actually the latter, appearing like it might be the former is also intentional.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nazis always have a habit of ruining and shiting all over everything. Color me shocked. šŸ˜²

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Any gaff the Democrats make, whether intentional or not, everyone is on them for not knowing better and being disappointing.

I see no reason not to do the same for the Republicans.

If they can try to bring down President Obama and the First Lady over the Terrorist Fist Jab, I can marvel over the Odal.
a) The "terrorist fist jab" started as a random user comment on the internet, it got picked up as something to mock by the media. A Fox News anchor used the phrase as a pre-commercial "you'll have to stay tuned to find out if this is a terrorist fist jab", and it wasn't in the actual piece, and the anchor apologized for it, and then lost their show for it anyway. This is not a good example of the right being unfair to the Obamas.

b) There's a difference between being on someone for a gaff and making accusations of malice. When Joe Biden says "poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids", that's a gaff that he was deservedly mocked for, but nobody to my knowledge was suggesting that was a deliberate statement secretly intentionally showing other racists how racist he is. It's one thing to say "look, their artsy stage design is moderately reminiscent of an obscure symbol that Nazis used, what a funny gaff", it's another thing to fill a thread with "oh, they're using Nazi symbols to show how racist they are, I'm not surprised."

Edit: The CPAC stage isn't the same shape. First, the shapes are upside-down from one another. Second, the rune is made of a continuous line of constant thickness, but the central square of the CPAC stage is wider than if it were the empty space surrounded by the lines, so the lines change thickness, unlike the rune. The rune has short tails, about half the length of the center square, where the stage has tails that stretch almost as long as the center stage. The tails of the rune turn up about the thickness of the line away from the center square, where the stage has more open space than that. And probably most notably, the stage has an extra segment connecting the two tails that isn't in the rune ever at all. If they were drawing an odal rune, they did a really crappy job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
And Trump's now the frontrunner in the Republican primary. I knew this impeachment bullshit won't work. Just stop him from taking office again. It's easier than impeachment.

Source: https://apnews.com/article/barring-trump-holding-office-again-f477c7ddc7ad0cc91a5fb86d12b007f0
Of course hes the front runner, he was literally just kicked out of office and has a weirdly devoted base. It is totally pointless to even talk about this so soon, no one heard of Obama before he was in the primary process. But they can't stop him, republicans realize hes got a very strong base and are worried that anyone he primaries against someone who doesn't kiss the ring will lose their primary.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
And Trump's now the frontrunner in the Republican primary. I knew this impeachment bullshit won't work. Just stop him from taking office again. It's easier than impeachment.

Source: https://apnews.com/article/barring-trump-holding-office-again-f477c7ddc7ad0cc91a5fb86d12b007f0
Thank God that he is.

His actions have already caused 44,000 voters to leave the Republican Party.

If that doesn't sound like much, but remember.

Arizona was won by 10457 votes.

Georgia was won by 11779 votes

Wisconsin was won by 20682 votes

Have Republicans not learn and make the divide bigger. Just because you hear the loudest voices, doesn't mean they are necessarily the voices you need to listen to.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
If I saw that rune out of context, I'd dismiss it as generic fantasy or something.

However, having been shown the context, I don't see why we should give them the benefit of the doubt. This is the stuff dog whistles are made of, casual coincidences that are only really meaningful to their intended audience.
The only reason to give them the benefit of the doubt is because a dog-whistle implies subtle, and plausible deniability, and the Trump cult is beyond that. When pastors around the nation said Trump was like King Cyrus as a pass for Evangelicals to vote for him, that was a dog-whistle. Now they're literally praying to a golden statue of him.
When Sarah Palin said Republicans don't lose, they simply rearm and reload, that was a dog-whistle. Then they stormed the Capital building with guns and bombs.
Today's Republicans are too brazen to do 'dog-whistles'. I fully expect "Hail Trump" to be chanted at CPAC, and for them to call him the legally elected President of the United States, and he'll run on a platform of President for Life.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Maybe. But are they going to stop voting Republican?

There's a possibility that Trump will drive the Republican Party to extremes that will electorally bury it. But on the other hand, the 2020 election tells us that actually even if maybe 20-30% of the Republican Party hate that stuff, they'll vote for it anyway because they hate the Democrats more.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
The rune connection seems like Apophenia to me.

I think the bigger story is the golden statue of Trump. I know that not all Republicans are Christians, but you guys do remember what the Bible says about these sorts of things, right?

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I think the bigger story is the golden statue of Trump. I know that not all Republicans are Christians, but you guys do remember what the Bible says about these sorts of things, right?
Thou shalt worship no other gods before Trump. If thine RINO offends thee, pluck it out.

Reactions: Hawki

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
The rune connection seems like Apophenia to me.

Christian iconoclasm has almost always been pretty weak. People like their shinies.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Thou shalt worship no other gods before Trump. If thine RINO offends thee, pluck it out.
Some people have literally stated that Trump is a prophet. Thankfully, the Bible contains a helpful guide on how to spot false prophets.

"But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, is to be put to death.ā€
You may say to yourselves, ā€œHow can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?ā€ If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously, so do not be alarmed.

- Deuteronomy 18:20-22, Douayā€“Rheims 1899 American Edition

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Thank God that he is.

Have Republicans not learn and make the divide bigger. Just because you hear the loudest voices, doesn't mean they are necessarily the voices you need to listen to.
You said that, but they are suppressing the votes in all of those states, and it's very well that Trump could win again. I would rather have a Mitt Romney than a Trump because Romney doesn't put kids in cages, doesn't incite hatred 24/7, and isn't a bigot even if he is a war-monger, and a neoliberal.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Thank God that he is.

This is exactly the argument many factions in Germany made about Hitler and I do not buy it even if I donā€™t think Trump is nearly as capable as Hitler and his movement.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
People bitched about Qanon all 2020 and now you guys are bringing this up?! Congrats Obsidion, you are now a Qanon member. Holy shit, the fucking reach of this.

I can see how you'd get that stage design naturally without knowing the rune. A large central area as centre stage, with two wings for peripheral staff and stuff to go on. The "cut-outs" between the central square and the wings act as a design feature to make it more interesting than a boring right-angled "V" shape justting forwards, and possibly also for off-stage camera access and angles, etc. Once you've got that shape of the stage space, picking out the rune in the floor design intuitively follows.
A fucking reasonable response!

Congrats, you fell for the priming and gladly went with it. Holy shit the about face everyone just pulled in this thread could've broken their necks with how hard it was.

Last edited:

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
It's not.
To normal people. Nazis like it a lot though, particularly because itā€™s a symbol that wonā€™t get them in trouble and especially if theyā€™re pagans or esoterics. I severely doubt thatā€™s what happened here, you donā€™t do a dog whistle like this on a huge platform that might be seen by the most terminally ideological of your base but will be meaningless or negative for everyone else, but among that tiny group of the true ā€œfascist vanguardā€ it is pretty popular, so you shouldnā€™t write-off all use of it.

This is probably just a coincidence though, and the least consequential piece of pandering to societyā€™s gravediggers of the entire event if it were intentional.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Because then you won't get said benefit back either?