Crackdown's Coming In 2015, Trailer Shows Agency Hasn't Lost Its Touch

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Crackdown's Coming In 2015, Trailer Shows Agency Hasn't Lost Its Touch

The Los Muertos boss is having a really bad day, and I think he may have scratched his pool table too.

Read Full Article

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So is this one of the typical bullshit trailers that has little or nothing to do with actual gameplay or do you really get to demolish buildings?

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
I call BS on the content of the trailer, inasmuch as it relates to gameplay.

Style-wise I'm delighted to see that we've finally put enough time between now and 9/11 that the demolition of entire buildings ( with staggering collateral damage ) is now something the good guys do. That god that shit ain't associated with anything else anymore. Ditto car bombing.

Also, yes, I am aware this is a work of fiction for a game which was marginally more serious in its premise than the Saint's Row franchise. If this didn't strike anyone else as even moderately weird, well? well, then I'm a bit surprised but I apologize for my over-reaction.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Its just a pre rendered trailer. A pwetty cool one but still. Sigh* E3 is now just one overblown marketing singularity.

Dont even get me started on the apparent 'coverage' my xbox links me to

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Roofstone said:
That told me absolutely nothing about the game.

BUT!
It was totally rad.
Strangely enough... this could be a farming SIM and I would still buy it after that trailer.

Stupid over the top hype marketing, stop appealing the the 5 year old in me!

OT - If this is actually achievable in game, good bye reality!

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
CriticalMiss said:
So is this one of the typical bullshit trailers that has little or nothing to do with actual gameplay or do you really get to demolish buildings?
You better be able to! I mean if you can't then that is the biggest kick to the face sense the last time I over exaggerated. I can't think of a good reason for them not to let you blow up buildings. Crackdown has always had a nice simple art style that is easy on the hardware and we had destructible city spaces in games on the Xbox 360.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I love me some Crackdown (they should call this new game Crackdown Resurrection), but hell if the in-game voiceover guy doesn't sound so over the top as to be comical, like the cassette guy's voice from the movie In & Out.

Still, the trailer did its job, it got my attention. Unfortunately I highly doubt that the physics model in the actual game will be able to handle demolished buildings, unless last year's 'power of the cloud' carries any actual meaning.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
nomotog said:
CriticalMiss said:
You better be able to! I mean if you can't then that is the biggest kick to the face sense the last time I over exaggerated. I can't think of a good reason for them not to let you blow up buildings. Crackdown has always had a nice simple art style that is easy on the hardware and we had destructible city spaces in games on the Xbox 360.
Red Faction Guerrilla let you blow up buildings and that is a 5 year old, open world game that was on last gen consoles. Just to name one.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
It looks more like 1 than 2, which is a good thing, but as it's a CG trailer pffft.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Lack of anything concrete about gameplay aside, the idea of a new Crackdown has me intrigued.

Intrigued, but not hopeful. Ruffian seriously dropped the ball with Crackdown 2. What wasn't just a tedious retread of the first game was insipid, uninspired, or dull.

Granted, this one isn't being developed by Ruffian, but David Jones (original creator) and his team at Cloudgine will need to do a lot to redeem the series.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
jFr[e said:
ak93]
OT - If this is actually achievable in game, good bye reality!
First through my mind after everything is said and done. But then Mr Logic came in and slapped me across the face. What the hell would I do after I finished leveling the city in the first 30 mins. (And you know I would try) The remainder of the game would have to take place in the piles of rubble or the city magically rebuilds everytime you crash gas tanker. So either you're ultra badass that can beat someone down with a car then fling said person into the stratosphere. Or you're just destroying cars, gas stations, and random store fronts. Love the vid, but that's the point; make you interested. Nothing to do with the gameplay at least 80% of the time.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
Elijah Newton said:
I call BS on the content of the trailer, inasmuch as it relates to gameplay.

Style-wise I'm delighted to see that we've finally put enough time between now and 9/11 that the demolition of entire buildings ( with staggering collateral damage ) is now something the good guys do. That god that shit ain't associated with anything else anymore. Ditto car bombing.

Also, yes, I am aware this is a work of fiction for a game which was marginally more serious in its premise than the Saint's Row franchise. If this didn't strike anyone else as even moderately weird, well? well, then I'm a bit surprised but I apologize for my over-reaction.
The Crackdown series actually has you playing as what are arguably villains. You're cops, but you're led and bred by a government that is moustache-twirlingly evil, it's kinda disturbing in a lot of ways. You are most assuredly NOT the good guys.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Baron_BJ said:
Elijah Newton said:
Style-wise I'm delighted to see that we've finally put enough time between now and 9/11 that the demolition of entire buildings ( with staggering collateral damage ) is now something the good guys do. Ditto car bombing.

Also, yes, I am aware this is a work of fiction for a game which was marginally more serious in its premise than the Saint's Row franchise.
The Crackdown series actually has you playing as what are arguably villains. You're cops, but you're led and bred by a government that is moustache-twirlingly evil, it's kinda disturbing in a lot of ways. You are most assuredly NOT the good guys.
Honestly, thank you for the heads up. As you could probably tell from my post I'd not played Crackdown and appreciate you taking the time to correct me.

It looks like you edited the post down a bit from what got sent on to me, but I should probably clear something up. First I'd had more caffiene in my system when I was typing it up than was socially useful. Second, I don't have a tie to 9/11 in the sense that I lost someone I know (ditto car bombings) and I hadn't intended to sound like I did.

What I do have is a personal connection to videogames. Of course not everything has to meet with my approval, it's a big friggin' world and there's plenty of room for satire, commentary, etc etc. Still, when I see something in a game that makes me look askance I don't see anything wrong with calling it out simply as a fan of games in general.

With my perspective cleared up, I'll stand by my initial comment - it seems weird to me. I do appreciate the clarification that these aren't heros, though. That makes a difference as would knowing more about the story and setting. I've got to go with what I see in the trailer, though, and it doesn't elaborate much.