Cracked Aquarium Launches Sharks at Shoppers

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Cracked Aquarium Launches Sharks at Shoppers

A cracked shark tank has left fifteen shoppers injured and three sharks dead.

The logic behind putting an aquarium in a shopping center is simple: People like to look at fish. Give them a pleasant place to do it and add a few shops, and the rest pretty much takes care of itself. Filling your tank with sharks instead of tropical fish is also pretty reasonable: People like sharks - at least when they're separated by a few inches of thick glass. Remove the glass, though, and you've got a problem, as a number of shoppers - and sharks - discovered in the most unpleasant way possible a few days ago. A cracked aquarium at a shopping center in Shanghai unleashed a torrent of shark-infested water on a number of unsuspecting consumers, leaving fifteen people injured and depriving the aquarium of three sharks.

Security cameras captured the whole sordid affair, which began innocently enough, with four shark aficionados enjoying the view before being swept away in a deluge of broken glass and saltwater. The remaining patrons evacuated to higher ground, while a few brave souls ventured back towards the installation to photograph the unfortunate sharks. Three of these lemon sharks [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_shark] succumbed to either injury or asphyxiation. While no shoppers died, fifteen were hurt - at least four, presumably, by concussive force.

This event is likely to go down as something of a footnote in local Shanghai history, but at least it'll be something for those present to tell their grandkids. "Did I ever tell you about the time that a shark came flying at me on land?" If this story has a moral, I'll be damned if I can figure it out, but just be careful the next time you visit a shark tank. As any good diver knows, the environment is a much bigger threat to you than the sharks themselves. Now, let us share a moment of silence for these three perfect killing machines.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qSMH0v125Tk#!]

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
This sounds like the injuries were due only to the the glass and water, not the sharks. That much water and glass being thrown at people would be just as harmful if it contained sea bass, even if they were not mutated or ill-tempered.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
McMullen said:
This sounds like the injuries were due only to the the glass and water, not the sharks. That much water and glass being thrown at people would be just as harmful if it contained sea bass, even if they were not mutated or ill-tempered.
Yeah it is a bit sad to see such headline-behavior on the Escapist.
I am not calling out a case of KOTAKU just yet (i was there when it all went down pretty fast. X-( ) but it is still a bit sad.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
...Why would you use the word "launches"? I just imagined a shark propelling it's self out the aquarium as though shot by a cannon.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
"So I went to the shop to get a tin of Tuna, imagine my surprise when I came home with a shark!"

Oh I can see it now...

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Is this shopping centre a front for a Bond villain or is that just how they deal with shop lifters there? Because I cannot think of another reason for them having a shark aquarium.

Riobux said:
...Why would you use the word "launches"? I just imagined a shark propelling it's self out the aquarium as though shot by a cannon.
Perhaps it was some daring escape attempt by the sharks that was not properly thought through.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Riobux said:
Perhaps it was some daring escape attempt by the sharks that was not properly thought through.
"Awright. What we do is we slam into the glass a few times over night until the glass is weaken, and then during the thickest crowd we can, we'll slam into the glass lightly, enough to smash it. Then, it's up to you guys to launch yourself as hard as possible into the customers, try to go for the head, or at least the chest. Once our captivators are dead, we'll escape."

And sadly, it didn't kill any shoppers.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
See, this is why aquariums of sharks are a bad idea... unless you're a Bond villain or something...

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Reading that article is certainly a relief. From the title I understood that somehow Cracked.com had acquired an underwater ballista and several sea predators. Not that I wouldn't put it past them...

josemlopes said:
Could have been worse...
I watched all 4 minutes waiting for it to crack. Really disappointing, would not recommend.

Jul 15, 2008
Riobux said:
Riobux said:
"Awright. What we do is we slam into the glass a few times over night until the glass is weaken, and then during the thickest crowd we can, we'll slam into the glass lightly, enough to smash it. Then, it's up to you guys to launch yourself as hard as possible into the customers, try to go for the head, or at least the chest. Once our captivators are dead, we'll escape."

Shark 2: "but sir..."
Shark 1: "what now?"
Shark 2: "how are we supposed to breath once the tanks broken?"
Shark 1: "We've been through this before. There is enough water in here for us to flood the ground floor and move quickly back to the sea"
Shark 2: "I think you are greatly over estimating are chances"
Shark 1: "I think I'm getting sick of your negative attitude"
Shark 2: "Well there is no need to get angry"
Shark 1: "Alright then if your so smart, let's here your idea to get us out of here.
Shark 2: "Perhaps we should wait and befriend a small child who doesn't have many real friends, so that he takes pity on us and after a series of events helps us in a last minute desperate bid for freedom"
Shark 1: "That is the most stupid plan I have ever heard. Where do you get these silly notions?"
Shark 2: "Well I saw on the screen of the tv st..."
Shark 1: "Enough! We go ahead as planned"

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
[sub]Must be a slow news day...[/sub]

*ahem*

Well, at least no people were killed.

Shark 1: "We've been through this before. There is enough water in here for us to flood the ground floor and move quickly back to the sea"
Shark 1: "Alright then if your so smart, let's here your idea to get us out of here.
Shark 2: "Perhaps we should wait and befriend a small child who doesn't have many real friends, so that he takes pity on us and after a series of events helps us in a last minute desperate bid for freedom"
Shark 1: "That is the most stupid plan I have ever heard. Where do you get these silly notions?"
Marry me.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Riobux said:
Riobux said:

Shark 1: My...My god...My plan...It failed...I...
Shark 2: I CAN'T BREATHE!
Shark 1: That's right...I'm sorry soldier, but a death on the battlefield is better than a death in a POW camp.
Shark 2: BUT SIR! I...I have children! I have a wife!
Shark 1: I know private, so do I. However, it is freedom or death, and we've been out-witted by the evil tyrannical dictatorship that is man. Let us...Let us just go to sleep and be free...Free forever...

Jul 15, 2008
Riobux said:
Riobux said:
Riobux said:

Shark 1: That's right...I'm sorry soldier, but a death on the battlefield is better than a death in a POW camp.
Shark 1: I know private, so do I. However, it is freedom or death, and we've been out-witted by the evil tyrannical dictatorship that is man. Let us...Let us just go to sleep and be free...Free forever...
Meanwhile in the ocean...

Shark Jnr: "Mother when's daddy coming home?"
Mother Shark: "Oh dear sweetheart, I'm afraid daddy is... sleeping with the fishes now"
Shark Jnr: "Oh, so he'll home real soon then?"
Mother Shark: "No I mean he's... he sleeps in the big ocean in the sky"
Shark Jnr: "So... you mean he's...*sniff*...dead?"
Mother Shark: "I'm sorry Junior"
Shark Jnr: "NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I swear I'll revenge you father! I will hunt down and kill everyone of those two legged land fish they call man!
Mother Shark: "Don't you think you are being rash here Junior?"
Shark Jnr: "Damn it mother stop calling me Junior! Call by my father's name... Jaws."

*cut to black*

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I do feel bad for the sharks, especially since the people just stood there and took pictures instead of picking them up and rushing them to the nearest fishtank.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Riobux said:
Riobux said:
Riobux said:

Shark 3: Damit guys what... the $&@!... The tank was heaven we... got free food and...

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Akisa said:
Riobux said:
Riobux said:
Riobux said:

Shark 3: Damit guys what... the $&@!... The tank was heaven we... got free food and...
Shark 4: Oh, so you're happy to spend the rest of your life behind a wall just for a few meals? Some shark you are! Back home, before all this, I was an actor! I was the greatest shark actor of all time! My movies bridged the gap between Tiger and Hammerhead! What were you? Some chum-factory chump?