Craftwork

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
geizr said:
First, if the only effect you've seen complaining have is it only made things worse that's you. In my experience the only thing that gets anything at all out of these companies is the constant complaining. Companies also don't listen to any old whiner that complains and then does what they want like you seem to think, they listen to the legions that complain and do what they want. If the number of complaints are large enough then they know it's legitimate and listen.

Second, there's a massive difference between buying games just because you enjoy the gameplay and just buying up any old crap regardless of how much you're being screwed by it. The former is someone buying games for a legitimate reason and the latter is someone just buying up anything like an idiot. If this incredibly obvious fact is not obvious enough for everybody I don't particularly care about those that don't get it.

It's not being unwilling to stand behind my own statement or cowardly when I point out when people I'm not even referring to try to call me on my statement.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
blackrave said:
Iron sights?
Is it diamond sights if you put it on the diamond pickax?

And what does FTB stand for? Feed the beast? I'm really out of the loop as far as Minecraft goes and recently I downloaded the Feed the beast launcher so it's the only FTB I know.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
blackrave said:
Iron sights?

And what does FTB stand for? Feed the beast? I'm really out of the loop as far as Minecraft goes and recently I downloaded the Feed the beast launcher so it's the only FTB I know.
Yes, ftb in minecraft-slang stands for Feed the beast, at least in the modding community of minecraft. Although i don't really aggree with the initial post that it can be seen as something positive from the minecraft developers that mods add a lot of stuff and continue to evolve the game in new and interesting ways.
Minecraft doesn't have a particulary great mod support, most of that comes from minecraft forge which was done by modders basically. The main reason why the modding community is as great as it is for minecraft is that the game is written in java, which is an easy language to write in so there are plenty of people that are able to make mods for minecraft.
Actual Updates tend to break all the mods that are developed for the game.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
major_chaos said:
immortalfrieza said:
And I wish people wouldn't get offended by statements very obviously not referring to them. If you and others like you buy games solely because you enjoy the gameplay then my comment has nothing to do with you.
Really? Because I bought Diablo 3 and Destiny (always online), I bought Dead Space 3 and Mass Effect 3 (Microtransactions), I buy CoD and AC from time to time (Yearly sequels), I bought DLC map packs for games like Titanfall, so how exactly am I not "part of the problem"?
I know I'm not the intended target of your ire, but I just wanted to chip in: You are part of the "problem", but I'm not going to fault you for it if that's what you enjoy. I'll simply ask that you pay attention to reviews and news so that you're getting the best possible version of what you enjoy because all of those are (or will be) franchises with entries that vary in quality.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
BiH-Kira said:
blackrave said:
Iron sights?
Dammit, stop ruining my joke :p

You don't explain that it stands for Feed The Beast

Amaror said:
Yes, ftb in minecraft-slang stands for Feed the beast, at least in the modding community of minecraft. Although i don't really aggree with the initial post that it can be seen as something positive from the minecraft developers that mods add a lot of stuff and continue to evolve the game in new and interesting ways.
I never said that it's something "positive"
I just said that it will be long time until we run out of content.
Hell, by that time I may even succeed in making world pseudo-spherical

Minecraft doesn't have a particulary great mod support, most of that comes from minecraft forge which was done by modders basically. The main reason why the modding community is as great as it is for minecraft is that the game is written in java, which is an easy language to write in so there are plenty of people that are able to make mods for minecraft.
It does suck that mods provide better experience than official updates.

Actual Updates tend to break all the mods that are developed for the game.
That is why ability to revert updates is awesome.

I'm currently on Unleashed, but I don't like that water is so empty
I'm thinking to moving to Monster

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
immortalfrieza said:
First, if the only effect you've seen complaining have is it only made things worse that's you. In my experience the only thing that gets anything at all out of these companies is the constant complaining. Companies also don't listen to any old whiner that complains and then does what they want like you seem to think, they listen to the legions that complain and do what they want. If the number of complaints are large enough then they know it's legitimate and listen.
I think you misunderstood my implication. I?m not trying to imply that complaining results in things getting worse; I?m trying to imply that just complaining is not as effective or efficient as simply closing the wallet. Also, as I mentioned or tried to imply, it is fine to also provide direct feedback (hopefully informative, rather than just the general ?cause it sucks?) why you are closing your wallet.

About the only time I?ve really seen complaining work is when the company is directly addressed by petition (for example, the recent event with Target and GTA V), but even so, the petition has to be backed with a threat of loss of patronage (i.e. closing of the wallet). However, all too often what I?ve observed is people just complaining randomly on forums on the Internet. Maybe other companies read forums on the Internet to gauge response and make adjustments, but my impression so far has been that game companies are not doing that. Otherwise, they probably would have changed 5-10 years ago. And, yes, as far as I have seen, the gaming community has been making the same basic complaints toward game companies for nearly a decade.

immortalfrieza said:
Second, there's a massive difference between buying games just because you enjoy the gameplay and just buying up any old crap regardless of how much you're being screwed by it. The former is someone buying games for a legitimate reason and the latter is someone just buying up anything like an idiot. If this incredibly obvious fact is not obvious enough for everybody I don't particularly care about those that don't get it.

It's not being unwilling to stand behind my own statement or cowardly when I point out when people I'm not even referring to try to call me on my statement.
When you make a blanket, unqualified statement, as you did, then it is non-obvious the separations you mean. It's obvious to you because you are the one making the statement, but others can not read your mind. Qualifying it after the fact when someone points out the offense is not standing behind the original statement, especially when you do so in a manner that does not acknowledge the error and further compounds the condescension towards the offended person by suggesting they lack in your intelligence to perceive the "obvious". Just my opinion.

ADDENDUM: I am beginning to feel that maybe this is just a point where we have to agree to disagree before either of us become disagreeable.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
I give it a few months at most before someone makes a mod which adds turbans to creepers in minecraft

KingsGambit said:
I have to admit any punchline, point or message from the strip is lost on me. Was there a point or was it just a joke?
It's a jab at how AAA shooters almost always have dark skinned people as the enemies (The turban on the creeper) as well as their fondness of "Cinematic" moments (The plane crash) and QTE's (Press X to build cover)

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I suppose I have no reason to complain as long as there are good games I can play instead. When navigating a minefield of disappointing games, it's handy to have an army of overeager, pre-ordering buyers to step on the mines for me. Then when they raise a stink about how disappointing the game was, it's like having a big red "DO NOT STEP HERE" sign hanging over a potential purchase.