Crazy EDF: 3 Portable Ad Captures the Spirit of the Series

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Crazy EDF: 3 Portable Ad Captures the Spirit of the Series

Much like Earth Defense Force itself, this trailer is cheesy and all the better for it.

To the right is the four-minute, live-action commercial for the upcoming Vita title, Earth Defense Force 3 Portable. The trailer is directed by famed Japanese B-movie director, Moniru Kawasaki. Executive Koala is Kawasaki's most famous film, but his true magnum opus is Crab Goalkeeper [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHjB9oOwlPI], a film the director described as "like Forrest Gump, but with a crab."

So, the trailer. I don't speak a word of Japanese, but the short film, complete with its bad dubbing and cheesy special effects, is an obvious homage to the B-movies and tokusatsu (special-effects) flicks Japan was known for before the advent of CGI. It's pretty much exactly the type of film that inspired Earth Defense Force in the first place.

See all those civilians fleeing the totally convincing giant ant at around the one minute mark? They're all fans of the game who applied to be extras via the game's official website. As if the sheer joy of playing a part in this masterpiece wasn't enough, the extras were also paid in special gifts and the opportunity to play an early copy of the game.

Earth Defense Force 3 Portable is a Vita port of the game North American gamers know as EDF 2017. It adds four-player support and a host of new missions to an already astoundingly addictive budget title. It also marks the return of Palewing, a unit players haven't seen since Earth Defense Force 2.

EDF 3 Portable launches on the 27th of September in Japan, but there's no news of a western release as of yet. Given that EDF 2017 sold impressively well in the west given its budget, I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement about an English release sometime soon.

Source: YouTube [http://youtu.be/aX_WfWD_5Eg]

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I L-O-V-E this series!

I REALLY hope it gets a NTSC-U release.

Though, you have to wonder...
Why wasn't 'Insect Armageddon' ported instead?

Also:
There's black people in Japan?
WHO KNEW!
;P

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
This... this is awesome beyond all words. It's a shame that I don't have a Vita, and that Insect Armageddon was a bit of a let down. But still, that commercial was just hilarious.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I loved playing Insect Armageddon but to my knowledge EDF: 2017 was a 360 exclusive so I wasn't able to play it and as much fun as I had playing Insect Armageddon, I don't think I'll be willing to shell out for a PS-Vita for another Bug-Blasting-Bonanza

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well they certainly have the right idea, now if they could only find the right people to make it properly.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Tanis said:
I L-O-V-E this series!

I REALLY hope it gets a NTSC-U release.

Though, you have to wonder...
Why wasn't 'Insect Armageddon' ported instead?

Also:
There's black people in Japan?
WHO KNEW!
;P
Insect armageddon was ported to xbox, dunno about other platforms. It was given "a limited release", meaning that the batch sent out on launch day was the only one sent out.

I really hope it is released in west though. I don't have a vita and probably won't for a while, but I love EDF and I wanna see it get as many fans as possible. Hell, give me a small budget, and I'll direct the western trailer.

Man, there needs to a whole movie like that. I literally clapped my hands in childish glee seeing the gloriously OTT EDF troops.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Oh god, that is the best thing. So damn cheesy, I was laughing in glee the entire way through.