Create Your Very Own Browser Adventure With StoryNexus

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Create Your Very Own Browser Adventure With StoryNexus

[vimeo=51454267]

The creators of Fallen London are handing you the tools to build your own stories, and perhaps even make some cash.

Fair warning: What I'm about to tell you may ruin your workday. Failbetter Games - the folks behind The Escapist's own 2009 Best Browser-Based Game, StoryNexus [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/7270-The-Escapist-Awards-2009-Winners-Announcement.2], and if you've got a creative bone in your body, it might just help you create a masterpiece.

Like Echo Bazaar (now renamed Fallen London), Cabinet Noir, and the upcoming The Silver Tree, the text-based adventures you can build within StoryNexus can be as straightforward or complex as your heart desires. The gameplay amounts to little more than making choices from a menu, leveling skills, collecting items, and making more choices. But as Fallen London has proven, the simple mechanics can lead you through a rich and exciting world filled with seedy characters and difficult decisions.

Of course, when it comes to creating your very own adventure, the creative onus falls on you. But StoryNexus makes fleshing out your tale an easy affair, with a healthy collection of images and icons to give the experience a professional shine. You can edit your story on the fly, and even add your own personal images if you're artistically inclined.

What's more, if you put in the time to make your adventure a truly engrossing experience, you could even make a few bucks through the sale of in-game virtual currency. 60% of the revenue brought in by each game goes directly to its creator. You can also gain recognition for your hard work through World of the Season, an event in which judges - including our very own Susan Arendt - scour the community for the best user-made experiences.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
This looks pretty cool. I might have to try this out when I have less things competing for my time.

Jan 27, 2011
0_0

Oh wow. As someone who considers himself something of a writer, I think I'll look into this.

Along with the entire rest of the internet. *sighs, knowing he's going to get no views/participants*

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
How do you actually use it? I clicked on the link and was brought to Fallen London.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Korten12 said:
How do you actually use it? I clicked on the link and was brought to Fallen London.
Yeah same.

Go into your search bar and put storynexus.com after you set up a fallen london account.

OT: I don't think I can resist this...
well who the fuck needs to do AP homework ANYWAY.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I am simultaneously ecstatic that this gives everyone the chance to be Emily Short and outraged it gives everyone the chance to be Zynga.

Oh well. I repeatedly said Mass Effect is a game about talking to aliens in space hampered by inexplicable shooting sequences, so I'll get to work on a game about talking to aliens in space without any shooting to see how well it does.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Saviordd1 said:
Korten12 said:
Yeah same.

Go into your search bar and put storynexus.com after you set up a fallen london account.

OT: I don't think I can resist this...
well who the fuck needs to do AP homework ANYWAY.
Have you figured it out yet?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
It looks cool and I did get a chance to play around with the tools myself for a bit, but I must bring a word of warning right now.

Apparently the influx of people wanting to check out the creating tools was so great that things have kinda shut down right now.

I read on their blogs that they expect it to level out in a few hours, but if anyone is having trouble logging in or creating an account, that's why.

FYI, this is how I got in:
http://storynexus.com/s

But like I said, probably not gonna work for most people right now.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Learning they're giving away the game-writing program for free: Interest caught.
Learning I have to create an account with their website to do it: Interest lost.

Guess I should have expected there to be a catch.