Creating Pokemon Is No Cakewalk

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
Really? Fucking really? It's that difficult to come up with Pokemon? So they wind up with stupid shit like this?:

This is not difficult. Hell, I could have just looked at Gaga and a fucking McCracken cartoon and get that.

May I direct you to a far better Pokemon design?
http://darksilvania.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1w35fb
It's not even difficult to come up with names for new Pokemon.

Please, get the whiny folks out of your design team, and put this guy in.

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
Well they must've run out of blood, sweat, and elbow grease a long time ago because there hasn't been a charming Pokemon since the second generation. Pokemon was my lifeblood when I was a child and it's disappointing that the best part(the actual pokemons)are so uninspired now a days.

And the new legendaries? Come on, draw some odd dragony thing a 6 year old finds cool add more spiky bits and a few z's in the name you pretty much got them.

I think they forgot that pokemons are supposed to be animals, not some robot/alien/random object hybrid.

SuperDash

Oct 15, 2010
PayJ567 said:
What a fucking load of motherfucking horse shit. If these cunts think sitting there drawing a load of bullocks is hard fucking work they are fucking living in a dream world.

Fucking morons, oh man I have to design a load of colourful animals and get paid considerably well to do it. Sometimes the air conditioning hums too loudly and I get cramps in my hand.

Fuck off you spoilt little wankers.
Someone obviously knows nothing of how art actually works. You don't start off drawing cartoons if you want to be a good artist. You have to spend years learning how to draw realistic proportions before you can accurately apply them to a cartoon.

Though I do think a lot of these designs had nearly no effort thrown into them, I still enjoy them. It's always exciting when you don't know what the pokemon you catch are going to look like when they evolve and ect.

SuperDash

Oct 15, 2010
PayJ567 said:
Milesprowler said:
PayJ567 said:
What a fucking load of motherfucking horse shit. If these cunts think sitting there drawing a load of bullocks is hard fucking work they are fucking living in a dream world.

Fucking morons, oh man I have to design a load of colourful animals and get paid considerably well to do it. Sometimes the air conditioning hums too loudly and I get cramps in my hand.

Fuck off you spoilt little wankers.
Someone obviously knows nothing of how art actually works. You don't start off drawing cartoons if you want to be a good artist. You have to spend years learning how to draw realistic proportions before you can accurately apply them to a cartoon.
How is that in anyway relevant to my point in anyway? Do you think you are an artist? Did I offend you?
Yes, I am an artist.

The point is, art isn't as easy as you're trying to make it seem. Designs take hard work to come up with and years of training to be able to put correctly to paper.

TheGameXXVII

Feb 1, 2010
IxionIndustries said:
those are hardly great designs.
what was he thinking when designing those rats?
"you know what would these better? MORE WHITE BITS"
if he were to remove a few of pointless white bits, then i would probably like them more.

oh, and it grinds my gears when people use "Pokemons" as a plural for Pokemon.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
TheGameXXVII said:
IxionIndustries said:
if he were to remove a few of pointless white bits, then i would probably like them more.

Those are bones, and they are not all rats. It's a flea, a rat, and then a possum. It's better than the shit I've seen come from the legit Pokemon desginers.

Oh and by the way...

TheGameXXVII

Feb 1, 2010
IxionIndustries said:
TheGameXXVII said:
IxionIndustries said:

Those are bones, and they are not all rats. It's a flea, a rat, and then a possum. It's better than the shit I've seen come from the legit Pokemon desginers.
that doesn't exactly counter my point that the "bones" are sticking out of almost every available space, making it a clusterfuck of white.

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
Neptunus Hirt said:
Tom Goldman said:
Pokabu, a fire-pig, was designed around the fact that pigs roll in mud. It shoots fire out of its snout to cool off instead of getting all dirty.
fire out of its snout to cool off
fire to cool off
The reasoning for a lot of Pokemon and their attributes has always baffled me.
Mrkittycat said:
It shoots fire out of its snout to cool off instead of getting all dirty.
But fire heats things....
I don't understand
Okay. I have to clear this up. I am in no way a supporter of Pokemon, but I am a supporter of playing Devil's advocate.

It makes perfect sense, when you think about it. Pokabu can't get rid of excess heat, the heat builds up inside of it with no way to release. To get rid of that heat, it converts it into fire, which it then shoots out of it's nose. Not really that far-fetched, and a far cry from the most ridiculous Pokemon out there.

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
TheMaddestHatter said:
It makes perfect sense, when you think about it. Pokabu can't get rid of excess heat, the heat builds up inside of it with no way to release. To get rid of that heat, it converts it into fire, which it then shoots out of it's nose. Not really that far-fetched, and a far cry from the most ridiculous Pokemon out there.
Yeah, OK, that makes sense. I don't get how it has anything to do with the "pig" design (one is releasing heat through the mouth, the other is cooling off using mud), but whatever. At least it isn't as ridiculous as Magcargo's body temperature of 18,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

Ah, Pokemon.

Dan E

Jun 16, 2010
I play pokemon to this day and still love the art style. Just some of them look a tad off but the rest are really cool.

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
you know what you could do to have less work...STOP MAKING MORE FUCKING POKEMON!!! use the ones you got already to make a different game!!! do i have to say it... really?! it doesnt even have to change that much... pokemon...3-D... the same game as pokemon red-black... but in 3-D...no! i dont mean a 3DS kinda 3-D...i mean a 3 dimensional game...like the kind you tried before but didnt put as much work into, make that...then i could die in peace...the new pokemon game for the Wii is almost what im looking for, battles look half decent, but can u only battle as pikachu? thats lame... and i dont think u can catch any pokemon either... so yeah...make a 3D pokemon game...

nosafetynets

Sep 27, 2010
Jabberwock xeno said:
kparmenter said:
I think the worst part is their inability to come up with decent names... That would almost make up for the lack of creativity - or over-creativity - in the design of the pokemon themselves.
Most of them are rather complex and clever...
Some, perhaps. But most, far from. If you call clever making a play on the English name for the animal/plant/object/mineral the pokemon is supposed to somewhat resemble or an action the pokemon does and adding onto it (Rattata, Raticate, Sandshrew, Magneton, Squirtle, Mankey, I could go on and on in the original 150 but I'll spare you the rant), sure. There are some fun names in there, I'll grant you that. I'm a die-hard pokemon fan, have been since I was young. But I'll pass on a lot of the names - particularly outside of the first 200 or so. After that, most of the good names were taken. I don't begrudge the designers their hard work, I just find it mildly amusing and sometimes a little wearying.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Brotherofwill said:
Wow, seems like we got the problem there. 17 people? That's way too much. That actually explains a lot, like why the Pokemon look like such a mess and look so un-unified (for lack of a better term). Get a small team of 1-3 skilled artist, let them go wild. That way the Pokemon will look like they actually exist on the same planet.
I'd hardly say that's any different from the real world. Can you really look at the countless species we have on Earth and say they all look like they're suppose to come from the same planet?

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
TheGameXXVII said:
IxionIndustries said:
TheGameXXVII said:
IxionIndustries said:

that doesn't exactly counter my point that the "bones" are sticking out of almost every available space, making it a clusterfuck of white.
That one thing sure has quite a clusterfuck of bows on it. Yet at least the rat is a skeleton, so it fucking makes sense.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
kparmenter said:
I think the worst part is their inability to come up with decent names... That would almost make up for the lack of creativity - or over-creativity - in the design of the pokemon themselves.
To be fair, that's more of the localization team's problem. They need to get the folks who did Mario and Luigi on that, ASAP.

faceless chick

Sep 19, 2009
yes they still look like shit.
i remember how i invented pokemon back when i was 12..draw whatever comes to mind and give it a funny name. voila!
only thing is i couldn't cash in on it >.>

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
To be fair, drawing over 600(?) sprites each with a couple of frames of animation and different stances depending on status effects(that's what I understood, if I was wrong, then sorry) is quite a workload. Same with designing the damn things.

Also, as a challenge to anyone who cares, come up with 600 pokemon, names and all, and don't run out of ideas.