Creator of the First Pop-Up Advertisement Apologizes

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
roseofbattle said:
It all started when a car company bought a banner ad celebrating anal sex.
I'm more interested in who thought that was a good idea. "X brand car, it's for sodomites!"

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
I'm not really sure where the correlation between him making pop-ups and the internet's business model as a whole came from. I mean the majority of ads online aren't pop-ups so I'm not really sure his creation really had as huge an effect as he seems to be implying, aside from pissing people off, it certainly had that effect.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
RaikuFA said:
FalloutJack said:
You know what? I can find it in my heart to forgive this guy. I have just enough good in my to believe that he had no idea what he hath unleashed. I believe that whole-heartedly and sincerely.

However, the guy that made TALKING ADS... THAT ASSHOLE HAS TO PAY!!!
Worst offender? The one that goes SAY SOMETHING!!! Whomever invented that needs to be charged with the worst crimes humanity has to offer.
SAY SOMETHING!!! WhhAAAAAT?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
nevarran said:
You cannot stop the progress, if he hadn't done it, someone else would've.
^Most sensible response.
If he didn't create the pop up ad, someone else would have.
It was inevitable.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
What's with guys with Zucker in their name that destines them to inadvertently(well, maybe not the case with Zuckerburg) make some sort of evil that poisons the internet for years? Anyone with those six letters together in your name, please don't go into a computing field. Stick with marine biology, civil engineering, etc. You might accidentally create a flash script that can hypnotize people into buying into all those scams on the banners adds. /joke

I was about to say what Atmos just above me said. Things have been invented within days of each other with the inventors not knowing a thing about the other's ideas. People are always finding solutions to a problem; he just got the "anal sex mobile" problem first. It's just too bad Zuckerman didn't have the mindset of today's tech world to patent that little bit of code. He (if the company he worked for wasn't one of those that steals your ideas with one of those clauses in the contract) could have wielded the power to let only the least intrusive ad campaigns through (or he could have becoming stinking rich since power corrupts).

Now if you will excuse me, I've got to get rid of this nutjob calling himself the WWWYZZERDD.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
nevarran said:
You cannot stop the progress, if he hadn't done it, someone else would've.
That sums up my thoughts on the matter. It's not like if he hadn't then we wouldn't have web adverts. I can't imagine it was too complicated to do, especially considering what the internet is capable of now.

As others have said though - whoever created audio ads have a special level of hell waiting just for them.

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
I do remember there being methods of stopping these even back in the early Windows 95/98 days. Alas, We can't actually discuss this lack of effects of popups on modern websites in any proper way. As There's an elephant in the room which is not allowed to be mentioned, ergo making the entire debate null and void.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I find it ironic reading an article about the dawn of distracting Web ads while my left and right sides of my screen are flanked by Diablo III: Reaper of Souls.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Objectable said:
Why hasn't that man been drawn and quartered?
For the same reason Oppenheimer and Einstein weren't drawn and quartered for making the nuclear bomb. He didn't mis-use it, those who just took their designs and ran with it did.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
If not him then someone else would have done it, so i forgive him. But the guy who created that popup from hell that is impossible to get rid of without killing chrome though task manager deserves a special place in hell, i'm just glad that it's pretty rare.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Shanahanapp said:
I'm not really sure where the correlation between him making pop-ups and the internet's business model as a whole came from. I mean the majority of ads online aren't pop-ups so I'm not really sure his creation really had as huge an effect as he seems to be implying, aside from pissing people off, it certainly had that effect.
Thats because rvery major browser, including IE, blocks popus by default eithout any additional software. And you need someshdy code to overwrite it. Meanwhile roaring full sound jeep ads covering text you want to read - good enough for the escapist. Seriuosly, websitea need to take advertisements lessons from reddit. The site is full of ads, bou you wount say that at first sight and the best thing is they dont get annoying.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Seeing how obnoxious and prevalent pop-up advertising is, I'm sure that Mr Zuckerman is crying all the way to the bank. But if it wasn't him who invented pop-up advertising, someone else would have done.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
"I'm sorry," Zuckerman wrote. "Our intentions were good."
Hmm, now where have I heard this before...oh yeah that's right!

Miles Dyson: "How were we supposed to know?"

Sarah Connor: "How are you supposed to know? Fucking men like you built the hydrogen bomb. Men like you thought it up. You think you're so creative."

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
happy_turtle said:
I do remember there being methods of stopping these even back in the early Windows 95/98 days. Alas, We can't actually discuss this lack of effects of popups on modern websites in any proper way. As There's an elephant in the room which is not allowed to be mentioned, ergo making the entire debate null and void.
Bolo The Great said:
And yet here at the escapist we still can't discuss methods to make the web less of "an advertising-rampant fiasco". Seems legit.
Oh, you mean Adblock? That thing which prevents ads from popping up when you visit websites. Which you can download for free and find easily through Google. That thing?

Last I checked, mentioning it is perfectly legal. You just can't encourage people to use it or basically admit to using it on this site.

Anyway, back on topic, while pop up ads are annoying those little bastards that come up and play audio and video clips when you roll your cursor over them are the worst. Pop up ads I'm at least aware of and can ignore or close. But those I don't even notice until they are screaming at me and they are always in some location that I can't help but go over at some point. I've seen them on plenty of sites and they are annoying as Hell.

This guy may have unleashed something that snowballed into what it is today, but I doubt he foresaw what it would become. I can't say I feel sympathy for whatever car company bought a banner celebrating anal sex, which has nothing to do with that thought reminding me of Southland Tales, I assure you.

Still, he isn't evil. Just a guy who was doing his job. And it certainly isn't the worst thing a person could invent. It's not like he invented guns that fire chainsaws and and handed them out to criminals.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
kailus13 said:
roseofbattle said:
It all started when a car company bought a banner ad celebrating anal sex.
I'm more interested in who thought that was a good idea. "X brand car, it's for sodomites!"
Mr Garrison, clearly.

Alternatively, maybe they were extremely forward thinking and thought that this was the next step in advertising after half naked people fawning over a car just wasn't going far enough anymore.

Alternatively alternatively, someone was a bit too literal with the phrase "sex sells".