Creator of Yu-Gi-Oh! manga found dead at 60

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Kazuki Takahashi, whose popular manga comic series Yu-Gi-Oh! became a global franchise including TV shows, films and a hugely successful card game, has been found dead in the sea in Japan.
The 60-year-old died after an apparent snorkelling trip near the southern Okinawa Island, the coastguard said.
He was found off the coast wearing an underwater mask, snorkel and fins, an official for the city of Nago added.
"We are investigating the case as both a possible accident or crime," he said.
Yu-Gi-Oh!, which means King of Games, is about spiky-haired teenager Yugi, who receives an ancient puzzle that awakens in him the alter ego of an Egyptian pharaoh. He then solves conflicts using games.
It was published in Japanese comic magazine Shonen Jump between 1996 and 2004, and in 1999 was turned into a real-life trading card game.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Rest in peace big man. This is definitely unfortunate. I still remember the first time I saw Yu-Gi-Oh.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Reminiscing about the anime after seeing a tweet from the JP and EN voice actors tweet about this. Man the anime had some good voice acting, and I don't mean in a "I was so moved by the emotion of their performance" or something like that, but how they really put a lot of personality into the characters.

90s dubbing certainly wasn't stellar a lot of the time (to put it mildly) but it certainly had some great character voices at times.

Reactions: BrawlMan