Creepiest Moments You've Had... in Non-Horror Games

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
Witty Name Here said:
Welcome to the forums, by the way! Hope you enjoy being a member of the Escapist community!

Anyways, for me it would have to be when you run into the "crawler" for the first time in Fable 3. The game was all upbeat and fun, but then it starts going into plain C'thulhu territory. There were also certain "Demon Doors" in Fable 2 that were plain horrifying. Like the room full of an army of statues.
Oh gods, I remember those demon doors, there was one where you walk down this pretty path with lantens an trees and enter a fairytale cottage at the end, except the moment you walk thrugh th door it turns into a dark disturbed world were the cottage is a burnt out husk and the lanterns and trees are replaced with iron maidens and caes with human remains. Freaked me the fuck out the first time...
Also anything in Fable 2 or 3 involving chesty. If you've played it you'll know.

Anyway what I thought of first was Mass Effect 2 when you see people being liquified into grey paste.

zane224

Mar 26, 2010
Drakengaurd for the PS2 had a part where a 9 year old little girl is dancing and twirling, laughing and singing and then her eyes start to glow red and her voice goes from a little girls high pitch to a demonic low while singing, "You cant spell Slaughter without Laughter!"

A more recent one would be from Borderlands 2 when a Maniac was running at me shouting "I'm going to lick every inch of your corpse!"

blaize2010

Sep 17, 2010
Full said:
IIn Far Cry 3, during one of the hunting missions, this one was for crocodiles.

I never saw one in the game before, so I didn't know what to expect. I was searching around this dock area for I'd say around five minutes, when I decided to jump in the water to look for them. Then the camera did a jarring-as-hell forced snap backwards and HOLY FUCK TEETH, BITING, THING! GAH, MASH!

It was waiting for me. I just know it.

Not to mention afterword, I got jumped again, but this time it was by approaching one that was just floating frozen in place. I don't know anything about crocodiles and how they act, so I thought it was glitched stuck or something.

It wasn't.

Pause>cancel mission
It was sharks for me. I had my eye on one I had just killed, and I didn't notice the other

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
Witty Name Here said:
Welcome to the forums, by the way! Hope you enjoy being a member of the Escapist community!

Anyways, for me it would have to be when you run into the "crawler" for the first time in Fable 3. The game was all upbeat and fun, but then it starts going into plain C'thulhu territory. There were also certain "Demon Doors" in Fable 2 that were plain horrifying. Like the room full of an army of statues.
Don't forget the one that's a nice pretty house when you're walking through the yard and then when you actually enter the house it turns into dead stuff everywhere.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
Wenseph said:
Also, I hate moments where you're in water and there's monsters down there with you. I think there's something like that in Majora's mask, where Link has to swim down into a deep hole where there's large sea snakes or something. I might be remembering it wrong. Guild Wars 2 is kind of the same, since I don't only dislike water combat, but I don't like being under water at all.

Large underwater areas in 3d environments scare the living shit out of me in video games. ESPECIALLY when the enemies are bigger than you. I wonder if it's because of some primitive instincts or something.

Cookiegerard

Aug 27, 2009
I recently started playing Age of Empires 2 again, and I had built a fairly decent sized wall around my land.

Literally just outside my gates, an AI villager walked up, killed a deer, and instead of, like normal villagers, collecting the meat, the villager just walked away. It was incredibly creepy as this is an AI I was playing against. It might as well have been "come at me bro"

Nicolairigel

May 6, 2011
Dunwich Buildinf and Dead Money both from the fallout games gave me the chills, But I feel I Have to but the Feros Colony From the first Mass Effect Series.

There was the incredibly appropriate weird mystery music that played throughout the entire mission, It kept an air of unknown horror which was threatening the colony. I really became illegitimately creeped out when you run into this one colonist hiding is some random area who is screaming about some mental torment, saying how "It's like running through a thorn bush, the more you struggle the more the it stings" or something like that.

blaize2010

Sep 17, 2010
ron1n said:
Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

Lucien Lachance.

As stupid as it might sound, the first time he appeared mid-sleep, it jump scared the crap out of me. Did not see that one coming.

Was made all the more terrifying by that damned creepy voice of his.
The entire Dark Brotherhood drama had an air of creepiness about it. The grim unrelenting preparation to kill your brothers, Mathieu Bellamont's deal with his mother, talking to the Nightmother in the grave, Lucien Lachance after the, yknow. The whole being burned alive upside down. It sucks, too, the guy was pretty cool after the whole murder people for a dead chick thing.

dudehead

Jul 21, 2008
Lewg999 said:
Not intentionally creepy since its a glitch rather than a gameplay element but Skyrim produced one genuinely creepy moment for me. At a character's funeral where the entire town came out to watch I got as far as burning the body before , as the body turned to ash , The entire populace just froze. Staring , dead eyed , at a burning corpse. They didn't even blink. I couldn't progress or attempt to continue without resetting the console so for 5 minutes I was left with a crowd of static zombies , some of them carrying torches , staring intently at a burning corpse.

It was unnatural to the level of unsettling me.
Lewg999 said:
Not intentionally creepy since its a glitch rather than a gameplay element but Skyrim produced one genuinely creepy moment for me. At a character's funeral where the entire town came out to watch I got as far as burning the body before , as the body turned to ash , The entire populace just froze. Staring , dead eyed , at a burning corpse. They didn't even blink. I couldn't progress or attempt to continue without resetting the console so for 5 minutes I was left with a crowd of static zombies , some of them carrying torches , staring intently at a burning corpse.

It was unnatural to the level of unsettling me.
gah I've had the worst urges to play Fallout 3 recently, and I'm really considering creating a new character and playing it for the first time in months just to explore that building at lvl 2 or something.

Find a hunting rifle, some bullets, and grab the Lucky Shades and then head in.

God I'm gettin all excited.

Anyway, on topic, one time I was exploring vault 87 (I thinks it is) and I was trying to conserve by backing from a radroach slowly and shooting it one at a time with my assault rifle

then I backed into a wall

then the wall yelled "FOUND YOU" and I screamed so loud I knocked over a glass and threw my headset/controller across the room.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Dino Crisis 2. For some reason, the areas with the poisonous plants always scares the living hell out of me. I think it's because of how formless they are, so it's harder to decipher any intentions from them, so it lead to a very atmospheric few moments as I was sure they were going to do something but they never did. They constantly bided their time, and it just some how got to me.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
spacecowboy86 said:
This came at the perfect time! I've been replaying psychonauts and I just found the "Milla's dark secret" room
That, and the asylum. No one called attention to those clouds...

Epicspoon said:
May as well actually contribute something.
*Creepy Watson snip*
Unintentionally hilarious.

Unintentionally terrifying.

CNKFan

Aug 20, 2008
In Hitman 2 Silent Assassin the garden area that you go to between missions there is a scarecrow the TURNS ITS HEAD TO STARE AT YOU!!!! I forgot all about that untill last night when I started playing the new Hitman triple pack thing.

Malfy

Jul 16, 2010
Full said:
IIn Far Cry 3, during one of the hunting missions, this one was for crocodiles.

I never saw one in the game before, so I didn't know what to expect. I was searching around this dock area for I'd say around five minutes, when I decided to jump in the water to look for them. Then the camera did a jarring-as-hell forced snap backwards and HOLY FUCK TEETH, BITING, THING! GAH, MASH!

It was waiting for me. I just know it.

Not to mention afterword, I got jumped again, but this time it was by approaching one that was just floating frozen in place. I don't know anything about crocodiles and how they act, so I thought it was glitched stuck or something.

It wasn't.

Pause>cancel mission
There's also a side mission in FarCry 3 where you have to investigate a "pool" in a cave because of three patrons that never returned from it. The music ramps up as soon as you discover the bodies, and left wandering "so what happened to them" as you try to exit the cave...and get your answer.

Just did that mission last night.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
The Dunwich building in Fallout 3 never creeped me out that much; after fighting through all of the vaults I felt it had a significantly less satisfying payoff (I also apparently never stumbled across the related quest in one of the add-ons, so I missed out). Generally, Fallout 3 really creeped me out at a psychological level; from the vaults where people were treated like lab rats to the mutations roaming the plains to the overwhelming horror of the atomic war. There was one side mission where you find a cult that worships a talking tree; it's the only side mission in the game I didn't complete because I couldn't decide what to do. It probably isn't surprising that Spec Ops: The Line horrified me to the point that I had to stop playing.

As for creepy moments in games more non-horror than FO 3: going underground in the first Megaman Legends used to scare the crap out of me, especially early in the game before getting better equipment.

Also the Gribbler from The Longest Journey. *Shudder*

major28

Feb 25, 2010
piinyouri said:
Deus Ex: HR
The Picus Building.
Just has a lovely air of unease that makes you think something is bound to happen.

And of course, ladies and gents and those in between....
Let no "Creepy Game" thread ever go ungraced by this.
Oh, God this! It's so freaky and terrifying and it's never explained, it's just this random building filled with ghouls that for some reason is haunted as fuck. There was no quest that was like figure out why this place is so batshit creepy, it was just scary cause Bethesda didn't want you to sleep well that night. Actually, now that I think about it, there was a quest for it in Point Lookout but you didn't get any explanation you just buried a creepy ass book in the basement or something equally horrifying.

Morsomk_v1legacy

RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA
Jan 30, 2013
Alright, Pandora's Tower the game I'm pickin'. Now, some people might tell you that the game is sort weird at certain times, the plot is a bit special, especially when it comes to the relationship between the main characters(the guy you are playing and the girl who is your love interest).

For those who don't know, the plot revolves around saving this girl by feeding her freaky, purple and gooey meat(totally life saving legit AMIRITE?). If she doesn't eat the meat, well, she ends up getting more corrupt by a curse she has.

There are certain moments in this game that are sort of......"ok this is a bit freaky but I am still going to roll with it." moments. Now, it is at the later part of the game where stuff starts to get heavily suspicious, not in just that you are actually starting to worry that you might not be feeding her the right thing, but the change she has gone through from eating it.

Now, what is the biggest reason I was sort of freaked out by this game other then most of the things I explained? In a lot of the cutscenes of the game, the girl starts saying and sometimes shouting your name in a sort of freakynotsexyandnevershouldbe kind of way.

Why is that the freakiest thing? The main characters name is Aeron. My real life name is Aron. So..........yeah.

Oct 11, 2011
Banshees from Mass Effect 3.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/102/6/f/banshee_by_hallucinogenmushroom-d4vy1fe.jpg

You cannot tell me that seeing this in the middle of the night WON'T scare you.

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
It may sounds odd at first, some probably think nothing of it but it really unnerved me. In Persona 4 (this was back on the PS2, don't have a Vita or Golden so don't know if its different):

after you rescue nanako and she is hospitalised and the fog from the otherworld comes across, really creeped me out, constant fog cover, people getting sick, people freaking out, the sense of dread and the unknown, the music really went along with it too to add to the feeling, found myself setting down the controller and one point and thinking "what the hell is going on! when is it going to end! make it stop!", almost like I was one of those people in the game and I knew in that moment what they must be feeling

Effective but creeped me out