Creepy Skyrim Serial Killer Keeps Heads on Shelves

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, that certainly is creepy.

Though mostly I'm just (even more) impressed with the degree of playing style freedom the game offer.

Stublore

Dec 16, 2009
knhirt said:
This is less disturbing than a child being killed in a dragon attack.
Not to mention children dying because of careless fireballs from the player.

That's just sick.
Lol, what's sick is attributing to pixels on the screen personhood!!
If Skyrim was a real world, there would be no such thing as immortal children, or what would be sick, making them immortal till they become adults!!

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Name three others that have surpassed Open-ended and Emergent gameplay.

Seriously, I am just curious :D
Minecraft. STALKER. EVE Online. Whether or not they surpass Skyrim is open to discussion, and that is exactly my problem with the opening sentence of the article. "Well recognised as the pinnacle in open-ended and emergent gameplay" does not leave it open to discussion. It's the kind of choice of words that sparks a million forum flame wars because it is giving an opinion as if it were a fact.

That it is Skyrim that's being talked about makes no difference. This would be equally lazy, careless writing if it read "Modern Warfare 3* is well recognised as the pinnacle in first person shooters."

[sub]*or Battlefield, or Halo, or Doom or any other FPS[/sub]

The ironic thing about it is what's being talked about in the article is not 'emergent gameplay.' It's what's commonly referred to in sandbox games as dicking around. There is a big difference.

DRes82 said:
While we're nitpicking, can you direct me to a better example of an open ended sandbox style western RPG? Go on, I'll wait for you.
No, I don't think I'll bother, unless the opening sentence of the article ends with the words "...in sandbox style western RPGs."

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
AdamG3691 said:
text doesn't convey sarcasm well :p

plus, this is the internet, I'm sure there are probably quite a lot of people who honestly do believe that a dragon killing a child is worse and more tragic a loss than a dragon killing 100 adults, simply because "ohes noes, protekt teh childeren! dey are teh futurez"
Funnily enough, this is precisely the point I was trying to make with my own post. It's fun to agree!

-

To summarize my thoughts: People like to say that killing children defeats the atmosphere or underlying storytelling of the game (I'm referencing the Extra Punctuation article from a few days ago here, mostly), so limiting the game mechanics by making children immortal is the expected thing to do.
What this video we're discussing does, however, is to prove that "normal" mechanics (marrying, killing, decapitating, moving game objects around, looting) can be combined to achieve a much more macabre effect than kids dying along with their parents in dragon-attacks (which, unlike the serial-killer fun we watched, actually fits perfectly within the storytelling and mood of the game).
The point that - kids having the ability to die makes the game too dark or sick - is obviously easily refuted.

-

stublore said:
Lol, what's sick is attributing to pixels on the screen personhood!!
If Skyrim was a real world, there would be no such thing as immortal children, or what would be sick, making them immortal till they become adults!!
My award-winning sarcasm has claimed another victim, it seems.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
Sixcess said:
Greg Tito said:
Skyrim is now well-recognized as the pinnacle in open-ended and emergent gameplay.
Oh for...

Let's try that again...

Greg Tito said:
Skyrim is now well-recognized as the pinnacle in a good example of open-ended and emergent gameplay.
There. Now doesn't that read more like a news article and less like fanboy fuelled overstatement?
If you think the Escapist counts as news, you are sorely mistaken brother. They have about as much journalistic integrity as Fox.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
I would like to remind you all that the Dark Brotherhood is about more then assassination. A primary benchmark for the Brotherhood is that it's members have a sick fascination with murder, and the fact that they get paid to murder folks is just good business. You have to be more then a simple sociopath to join... you have to crave murder. You have to delight in blood. To a member of the Dark Brotherhood, that moment when the life fades from a victims eyes is their very reason for living.

I do not find this video all that disturbing. Clearly, the bodies were arranged like that purely for effect. The same can be said for the name of the video. It's purely for shock value.

Disgruntled_peasant

Jan 13, 2011
Moeez said:
Greg Tito said:
Skyrim is now well-recognized as the pinnacle in open-ended and emergent gameplay.
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl says Hi!
Dwarf Fortress says hi!

(ok its very diferent, but hell, it annoys me when developers go on about this amazing new idea of emergent stories in games, when the idea has been around for fucking ages)

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
It would be less creepy if they were clothed. The way they're arranged like they were/are going about their day-to-day lives loses its impact if they're nude/skivvied. That just screams "I didn't arrange this demonstration video because I wanted to scare people, I did it because I get and erection from it."

DrSpoy

May 26, 2011
Sixcess said:
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Name three others that have surpassed Open-ended and Emergent gameplay.

Seriously, I am just curious :D
Minecraft. STALKER. EVE Online. Whether or not they surpass Skyrim is open to discussion, and that is exactly my problem with the opening sentence of the article. "Well recognised as the pinnacle in open-ended and emergent gameplay" does not leave it open to discussion. It's the kind of choice of words that sparks a million forum flame wars because it is giving an opinion as if it were a fact.

That it is Skyrim that's being talked about makes no difference. This would be equally lazy, careless writing if it read "Modern Warfare 3* is well recognised as the pinnacle in first person shooters."

[sub]*or Battlefield, or Halo, or Doom or any other FPS[/sub]

The ironic thing about it is what's being talked about in the article is not 'emergent gameplay.' It's what's commonly referred to in sandbox games as dicking around. There is a big difference.

DRes82 said:
While we're nitpicking, can you direct me to a better example of an open ended sandbox style western RPG? Go on, I'll wait for you.
No, I don't think I'll bother, unless the opening sentence of the article ends with the words "...in sandbox style western RPGs."
I think this whole thing could've been avoided had people didn't nitpick the article. I didn't even notice it until afterwards.

Also, oh noes! an article is teh bias! Rage rage rage!

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
Already seen this, but it's brilliant, never tought to store all my eads in my house! :D I mean irl it's quite easy to find a place for them, the obvious choce is jars or your freezer, but in skyrim i found mself just letting them lie around.

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
Pyramid Head said:
Sixcess said:
Greg Tito said:
Oh for...

Let's try that again...

Greg Tito said:
Skyrim is now well-recognized as the pinnacle in a good example of open-ended and emergent gameplay.
There. Now doesn't that read more like a news article and less like fanboy fuelled overstatement?

Took the text right out of my typing field. Skyrim was decent, but nowhere near the masterpiece people keep claiming it is.
WHY U KNOW UNDERSTAND OPINIONS?
OT: LOL. Bethesda, you done it again! And you created a monster.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Sixcess said:
Greg Tito said:
Oh for...

Let's try that again...

Greg Tito said:
Ugh, I second that. It's a great game, but come on. Let's dial it back a little. It's called professionalism.

Anyway, OT: Yeah, that's pretty creepy. I usually don't like it when people do this, but seriously: Let's hope Fox News never gets their hands on this. Something tells me they wouldn't quite grasp the "he's just playing a role" argument.
Screw that, I don't think they'd get the "He's just a fucked-up person" rgument.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
Bng on as usual. Best ways to kill enemies when you have archery is finding spots where enemies have to run around to hit you, and then you jump down and they have to run all the way back. SO basicly i hit level 45 without having leveled any armor at all so i was pretty much forced to kill things before they could hit me, which is not really a problem, both giants and mammoths die quite fast with 3x sneak bonus. :D

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
When I first got the decap perk I stumbled on a mountain cave that contained a witch coven. The first hit on the obligatory guard witch was a decap. The head started rolling down the mountain. I said "what the hell" and followed it, and I kid you not it didnt stop rolling until probably a mile later.

I can't wait until a mod comes out that makes decapitated heads fly away....which would have been more appropriate considering my dude is a 2 handed hammer user.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
My living room in Deus Ex: Human Revolution is piled high full of bodies of people I've killed...

... but that landlady was SO annoying.

DrSpoy

May 26, 2011
rembrandtqeinstein said:
When I first got the decap perk I stumbled on a mountain cave that contained a witch coven. The first hit on the obligatory guard witch was a decap. The head started rolling down the mountain. I said "what the hell" and followed it, and I kid you not it didnt stop rolling until probably a mile later.

I can't wait until a mod comes out that makes decapitated heads fly away....which would have been more appropriate considering my dude is a 2 handed hammer user.
I can't wait for a mod that makes heads become bouncy after decapitation. :D