Crimea's Attorney-General Inspires Anime-Style Fan-Art

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Gorrath said:
Well, in defense of that last bit, novelty stems from a lack of experience with something. While it may speak volumes about how few "attractive" women there are who hold powerful positions that are also newsworthy, I can see why someone who lacks experience with a person like that might be a bit enthralled. Attractive men in positions of power also inspire a slew of fanart, so I don't think it's just that she's a woman that has caused this response. If anything about it is really novel,(ignoring her actual age) is that it does seem to be some kind of story that jumped right out of a manga. Young female officers who hold power and are "attractive" are a mainstay trope of anime and manga.
Ah, interesting. Thanks for the insight. Personally, when it comes to fictional characters, I always roll my eyes a little bit at those "impossibly young" characters with a lot of power, but usually that sort of stuff is aimed at kids so it does make sense.

Also, I only really came in here because I saw sleekit's post + my username and loled, it seemed slightly appropriate and inappropriate at the same time.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Chemical Alia said:
Gorrath said:
Well, in defense of that last bit, novelty stems from a lack of experience with something. While it may speak volumes about how few "attractive" women there are who hold powerful positions that are also newsworthy, I can see why someone who lacks experience with a person like that might be a bit enthralled. Attractive men in positions of power also inspire a slew of fanart, so I don't think it's just that she's a woman that has caused this response. If anything about it is really novel,(ignoring her actual age) is that it does seem to be some kind of story that jumped right out of a manga. Young female officers who hold power and are "attractive" are a mainstay trope of anime and manga.
Ah, interesting. Thanks for the insight. Personally, when it comes to fictional characters, I always roll my eyes a little bit at those "impossibly young" characters with a lot of power, but usually that sort of stuff is aimed at kids so it does make sense.

Also, I only really came in here because I saw sleekit's post + my username and loled, it seemed slightly appropriate and inappropriate at the same time.
I always roll my eyes at that trope too. Who the hell would leave that kind of power in someone who's likely not even mature enough to have a good handle on their own identity? I think that's really the big deal though, the character trope is so ridiculous that seeing that trope come to life in real terms seems fascinating, though it's all predicated on an assumption about her age based on how she looks, but still.

I actually lolled at your user name in connection with that post too. You dropping into this thread made my day. Cheers.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I feel like we shouldn't even be giving this news story validity by reporting it, frankly.

Sorry if I sound like a Feminist, but the Internet is full to the brim with sexualisation of women anyway. Regardless of the controversy over the Crimea situation, the fact that a this woman has been fetishised not because of her policies, or her intellect, but simply because she is a woman and she is attractive, shows just how little respect some communities within the Internet have for women.

Not only that, but The Escapist and other nerd culture websites reporting on this otherwise obscure and irrelevant story gives the whole thing validity and publicity that it doesn't deserve.

I would much rather live in an Internet community that would criticise or celebrate this human being based on her political standings which, you know, is her job and her skills, rather than on her looks. I'm quite frankly dismayed that a quick Google of "Crimea Attorney General" gives no insight into this woman's policies, previous achievements, political standings or even protests against/for her appointment, but simply stories about this manga nonsense and "lol look she's hot". I'd even prefer the usual hate and flaming seen over the Crimea situation than this sexualisation; at least there is importance and meaning to topic behind the flaming.

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
Simalacrum said:
I feel like we shouldn't even be giving this news story validity by reporting it, frankly.

Sorry if I sound like a Feminist, but the Internet is full to the brim with sexualisation of women anyway. Regardless of the controversy over the Crimea situation, the fact that a this woman has been fetishised not because of her policies, or her intellect, but simply because she is a woman and she is attractive, shows just how little respect some communities within the Internet have for women.

Not only that, but The Escapist and other nerd culture websites reporting on this otherwise obscure and irrelevant story gives the whole thing validity and publicity that it doesn't deserve.

I would much rather live in an Internet community that would criticise or celebrate this human being based on her political standings which, you know, is her job and her skills, rather than on her looks. I'm quite frankly dismayed that a quick Google of "Crimea Attorney General" gives no insight into this woman's policies, previous achievements, political standings or even protests against/for her appointment, but simply stories about this manga nonsense and "lol look she's hot". I'd even prefer the usual hate and flaming seen over the Crimea situation than this sexualisation; at least there is importance and meaning to topic behind the flaming.
Nailed it.

Except;

Simalacrum said:
Sorry if I sound like a Feminist
Feminism, while poorly named, is the idea that everyone should be given equal treatment and personal respect regardless of their gender. There's nothing bad about coming across as 'feminist'.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Simalacrum said:

Being a feminist is a fine thing, you shouldn't feel bad for "sounding like one". That said, the internet is filled to the brim with sexualization of everyone and everything. Also, why would she be fetishised for her intellect or policies? Sexualized drawings of people who are attractive, man or woman, have nothing to do with whether a person respects that person or not. You can have great respect for someone, and still fantasize about them. The idea that these two things are mutually exclusive or even incompatible is provably untrue.

This website is dedicated to escapism through various mediums including art. It is not out of character for The Escapist or other "nerd culture" websites to report on "nerd culture" happenings. You might rightly argue that this story does not deserve the publicity it's being given, but I think you'd be hard pressed to back up your validity argument.

If I get this right, you're dismayed that people aren't as interested about the same aspect of a particular person that you are? If you'd prefer to hear about the hate-train that surrounds this topic there are plenty of places for it. The fact that you can't find the information you want from a quick Google search and that you might have to do a bit more digging than that to find the information you want is hardly what I'd consider some great burden.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
HellbirdIV said:
Simalacrum said:
Sorry if I sound like a Feminist
Feminism, while poorly named, is the idea that everyone should be given equal treatment and personal respect regardless of their gender. There's nothing bad about coming across as 'feminist'.
I would actually argue that the whole "poorly named" thing is actually far more important than some people realise; I much prefer to call myself a Gender Equalist partly because the term 'Feminism' is so misleading to its actual goals and intentions.

Why is that important? Because feminism, in a strange way, is a marketing campaign: one of its main goals is to raise awareness for those who are ignorant about gender inequality in society, and therefore change society for the better by turning that awareness into action.

The problem is, while Feminism (or at least modern Feminism) does generally recognise the inequalities against men as well as women, the word itself doesn't imply it, and therefore those ignorant about these issues may not realise it. We can see this problem arising when topics such as the problems of rape culture are becoming more mainstream (which is a good thing!), but issues like the fact that men legally cannot 'be raped' by women remaining relatively obscure.

Therefore, the reason why I said "sorry if I sound like a Feminist" is because I didn't want to give the impression that I'm supporting women's rights issues with the exclusion of other male-related issues, for those who may not realise that Feminists often are in fact aware of said issues. :p

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
2cute4escapist she is! No but seriously I hope nothing but the best for her and The Annexed Republic of Crimea.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Well as a general she certainly makes a part of me stand at attention lol

Seriously though she breaks the stereotype that all powerful people are old and/or ugly. Normally when you think of that position a hot blonde is the last thing you expect, you expect someone in their late 40s at youngest who show the stress of their job in all their wrinkles.

edit: Wow, having re-read this with a clear head it shows just what 24 years of loneliness will do to a mind.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Meh, I don't care either way about the anime - people have been making political cartoons, tasteful or otherwise, for as long as there have been politicians.

The article though...

Steven Bogos said:
a rather attractive young lady
she is a rather attractive young lady
Seriously? Not once, but twice.

She's the highest legal authority in her country. She's also in her mid-thirties. Surely you see how repeatedly describing her as a "young lady" is needlessly patronising?

Geez.

I mean, I know that debate about the word "lady" is still very much ongoing (personally it makes me cringe, but whatever), but I'm always baffled by some writers' resistance to using the word "woman." It's not offensive, it's not somehow less polite than other words, it is in no way controversial.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
I'm on the fence about this one. On the one hand, sexualized fanart of world leaders exists everywhere, and no, there's nothing wrong with finding her attractive.

On the other, it comes across as condescending to me when you take a woman in a position of power and say "oh, look at how cute she is!"

I think, to be quite honest about my bias, the association with anime is what puts a bad taste in my mouth. Anime in general does not have the best connotation in terms of a track record for gender equality.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Oh come on, as if political figures getting cartoonized is such a big deal.
She's super adorable by the way, cuter than her anime version.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Eamar said:
Meh, I don't care either way about the anime - people have been making political cartoons, tasteful or otherwise, for as long as there have been politicians.

The article though...

Steven Bogos said:
a rather attractive young lady
she is a rather attractive young lady
Seriously? Not once, but twice.

She's the highest legal authority in her country. She's also in her mid-thirties. Surely you see how repeatedly describing her as a "young lady" is needlessly patronising?

Geez.

I mean, I know that debate about the word "lady" is still very much ongoing (personally it makes me cringe, but whatever), but I'm always baffled by some writers' resistance to using the word "woman." It's not offensive, it's not somehow less polite than other words, it is in no way controversial.
I can get behind your criticism here. "Young Lady," is a term usually reserved for children, not for women. Her looks might make her seem much younger, but the writer should have taken a moment to actually find out her age before using such a patronizing term. Calling any woman "young lady" if you aren't, say, her own parent, is downright insulting.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Gorrath said:
Being a feminist is a fine thing, you shouldn't feel bad for "sounding like one". That said, the internet is filled to the brim with sexualization of everyone and everything. Also, why would she be fetishised for her intellect or policies? Sexualized drawings of people who are attractive, man or woman, have nothing to do with whether a person respects that person or not. You can have great respect for someone, and still fantasize about them. The idea that these two things are mutually exclusive or even incompatible is provably untrue.
I've actually explained why I don't identify as a Feminist in a post above, so I point you towards that for that point.

While yes, the Internet is filled with sexualisation of everything, I would argue that the problem is particularly prevalent for women, especially when its their looks and their looks alone that make them sexualised; while male figures such as Putin has been sexualised as a 'manly man' because of how he acts (e.g. publicising photos of him hunting, etc), in this case the sexualisation has happened on looks alone. People quite clearly do not respect the Crimean Attorney-General because of her intellect, etc, and that can be seen by the fact that, for example, The Escapist has neglected to look into or report on any of her achievements or policies in this same post, while similar background information may be given about other, non-sexualised figures. Respect for the person and fantasising about a person may not be mutually exclusive, but the respect element is seriously lacking in this and many other examples. Just see YouTube comments on videos of talented, skilled and intelligent women to see what I mean.

This website is dedicated to escapism through various mediums including art. It is not out of character for The Escapist or other "nerd culture" websites to report on "nerd culture" happenings. You might rightly argue that this story does not deserve the publicity it's being given, but I think you'd be hard pressed to back up your validity argument.
In regards to 'validity', I say this because, by reporting this news story (and furthermore not commenting on either her past achievements/policies OR criticising the sexualisation) it gives the impression that sexualising women in this manner is OK, when it isn't. It would be less of an issue if she were dramatised/sexualised because of her actions (as in the case with Putin), but the fact that this whole shenanigans is based on looks and looks alone means that it should be criticised - but isn't.

If I get this right, you're dismayed that people aren't as interested in you are about the same aspect of a particular person that you are? If you'd prefer to hear about the hate-train that surrounds this topic there are plenty of places for it. The fact that you can't find the information you want from a quick Google search and that you might have to do a bit more digging than that to find the information you want is hardly what I'd consider some great burden.
My dismay comes not from 'people aren't interested in what I'm interested in', but rather 'people aren't interested in extremely important topics that could shape the future of millions of lives, but instead are interested in mundane stuff like this'. The reason I rely on a quick Google search is because a quick Google search reveals what the majority of people are searching for with those specific key words, and therefore gives a better idea of what more people are talking about/want to talk about, rather than what I want to hear/see.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Taunta said:
I'm on the fence about this one. On the one hand, sexualized fanart of world leaders exists everywhere, and no, there's nothing wrong with finding her attractive.

On the other, it comes across as condescending to me when you take a woman in a position of power and say "oh, look at how cute she is!"

I think, to be quite honest about my bias, the association with anime is what puts a bad taste in my mouth. Anime in general does not have the best connotation in terms of a track record for gender equality.
Well, if it does anything to soothe, I can assure you that the style in which this is done is gender neutral. The sheer amount of cute-male political leader stuff floating around the internet is bafflingly huge. Sexualization and objectification of males and females in the fantasy realm of hentai is rather on par with regard to how each gender is treated. Don't ask me how I know any of this, I've simply been around the internet since it became a thing.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
CriticKitten said:
It's not just you. I just finished watching the series and was wondering if anyone else would see that, too.
As RJ17 pointed out in this thread she also looks like Riza Hawkeye from Full Metal Alchemist, and I have to agree with that, although it might just be the military uniform. As for Annie, now I can see that too.
Perhaps she's a Titan! 0_0

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Simalacrum said:
I've actually explained why I don't identify as a Feminist in a post above, so I point you towards that for that point.
I did get a chance to read your post on that and I get where you're coming from on that. The label itself is far less important than the idea of gender equality either way, so on that point you and I are agreed.

While yes, the Internet is filled with sexualisation of everything, I would argue that the problem is particularly prevalent for women, especially when its their looks and their looks alone that make them sexualised; while male figures such as Putin has been sexualised as a 'manly man' because of how he acts (e.g. publicising photos of him hunting, etc), in this case the sexualisation has happened on looks alone. People quite clearly do not respect the Crimean Attorney-General because of her intellect, etc, and that can be seen by the fact that, for example, The Escapist has neglected to look into or report on any of her achievements or policies in this same post, while similar background information may be given about other, non-sexualised figures. Respect for the person and fantasising about a person may not be mutually exclusive, but the respect element is seriously lacking in this and many other examples. Just see YouTube comments on videos of talented, skilled and intelligent women to see what I mean.
But it isn't merely her looks and her looks alone that have led to this fanart being made. A good deal of it stems directly as a result of her being in a position of power. And Putin isn't simply made into fanart because he was hunting, or riding a horse, but because he's running around doing it all shirtless and looking (for a guy his age) rather buff. I have my doubts that all the similar Hitler stuff is done because of Hitler's acts, but because drawing cute versions of political leaders is simply a thing. Hitler is neither celebrated for his acts of manliness or his good looks, but simply because of the position he held and his place in history.

The article here on The Escapist is focusing on the fanart, not the person herself. Now I do take some issue with how this particular article is written, and I've voiced that concern. I do not think it is wrong of you to see flaws in what was written by the author here (the "young lady" remark in particular). But the article is primarily about teh art, not about the biography of the subject of the art.

In regards to 'validity', I say this because, by reporting this news story (and furthermore not commenting on either her past achievements/policies OR criticising the sexualisation) it gives the impression that sexualising women in this manner is OK, when it isn't. It would be less of an issue if she were dramatised/sexualised because of her actions (as in the case with Putin), but the fact that this whole shenanigans is based on looks and looks alone means that it should be criticised - but isn't.
I'm going to have to disagree with you heavily on this part. Sexualizing women by drawing fanart is wrong? I find that absurd. Fanart is fantasy, pure and simple and there is nothing at all wrong about making sexually appealing art, even if the subject of said art is some political leader a lot of people think is attractive. You may not like the art, you might think it's in poor taste, but to describe it as "wrong" suggests that it is flat out immoral. And again, I'll point out that she's not just being drawn because she's pretty, she's being drawn because she's pretty AND she's a person in a position of power. Your contention here does not hold up against the flood of fanart directed at world leaders that are anything but what we would consider conventionally attractive. Saying that her position of power isn't a component of why the art was made is, I think, completely wrong.

My dismay comes not from 'people aren't interested in what I'm interested in', but rather 'people aren't interested in extremely important topics that could shape the future of millions of lives, but instead are interested in mundane stuff like this'. The reason I rely on a quick Google search is because a quick Google search reveals what the majority of people are searching for with those specific key words, and therefore gives a better idea of what more people are talking about/want to talk about, rather than what I want to hear/see.
I'm quite interested in what's happening in Crimea. I'm also amused by this art. I have looked at the situation in Crimea extensively and also browsed some of this fanart. But your whole last paragraph essentially admits that you're dismayed that people are talking more about the fanart made of her than what role she plays in the Crimean crisis. This is what I said, you're dismay comes form people being interested in a different aspect of the news surrounding her than you are. I can see why that might irk you and I can see why you might think it folly, but it's not as if the more important information surrounding this crisis isn't available to anyone who wants to read about it. I actually share your dismay that this rather minor news has supplanted what role she might have in Crimea, but that in no way invalidates The Escapist for choosing to report on Escapist-related subjects like this one.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
CriticKitten said:
To be fair, her looks don't at all suggest a woman of 33. And I know plenty of people who would still consider a young woman of 33 to be a "young lady".
Indeed, but the person calling her "young lady" is reporting on news. I expect a bit more research to be done than simply looking at her and making assumptions.

So it sounds like your "offense" is rather selective, and to be honest, I'd say it's overly so. I'm nearing my 30s, and plenty of people still call me any variety of "young" adjectives. I don't take personal offense to something that small because it'd be silly to do so. And it doesn't look like she takes offense to this internet trend, either. So why do you?

I agree that "young woman" is perhaps the more apt descriptor, but it seems entirely pointless to argue such a tiny semantics scenario as this.
I'm not sure where you derive the idea that I am applying this criticism selectively. I wouldn't have been too keen on someone anywhere near my age calling me "young man" when I was 33. It comes off as patronizing, condescending and dismissive. It lacks the proper respect one should use when referring to their peers. My "offense" is not at all selective, nor is it out of line. I wouldn't find it proper for a man in his 50's to refer to a woman sitting at his board meeting as "young lady" either, even if she was merely 20. "Young Lady" is a term you use when telling a child what to do, not talking about a frigging Attorney General. I would be saying this even if the author had said this about a man.