Crimea's Attorney-General Inspires Anime-Style Fan-Art

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
I'm sorry, but, what actual fuck? Seriously? We're completely overlooking the fact this women is quite literally Putin's Witchfinder General because she's kinda cute?

Jesus fucking Christ, maybe we should put a stop to feminism, because judging by this shit, if any kind of even remotely good looking woman tried to pull a Hitler, we would all be completely fucked.

I apologize for my language, but, stuff like this is why I find it very hard to have any faith in humanity.

PcaKes

Jul 8, 2013
Are anime fans that desperate for yet another 'character' to masturbate too that they need to anime-ify real people now too? I mean, what the hell?????? Do they NOT think that this is inappropriate? Even outside of the realm of perversion, what the hell are people thinking????

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Daverson said:
I'm sorry, but, what actual fuck? Seriously? We're completely overlooking the fact this women is quite literally Putin's Witchfinder General because she's kinda cute?

Jesus fucking Christ, maybe we should put a stop to feminism, because judging by this shit, if any kind of even remotely good looking woman tried to pull a Hitler, we would all be completely fucked.

I apologize for my language, but, stuff like this is why I find it very hard to have any faith in humanity.
You may or may not be relived to know that art like this of actual Hitler abounds all over the internet. Your comparison is amusingly apt.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
GamerMage said:
Revnak said:
Just to make things a bit clear (since people appear to not be noticing this in the article), these were generally drawn by Japanese artists, who made these drawings after watching a video posted in Japanese on Youtube. The fact that they are drawn in an anime influenced style should not be a surprise.

OT- I find this all hilarious, because I exist at a safe distance from all significant consequences of this political situation and the idea that a bunch of random people on the internet have fallen in love with a random Attorney-General is pretty absurd really. I like to imagine that she's like a lady Putin, and that the two of them secretly share a forbidden love. Also, go read her wikipedia page. I think they might still have her position be "waifu general."
Speaking of anime, (and looking at your avatar), Some of them have her look like a character from Persona 4, doesn't she?
Thou hast fuckest up most royally. My avatar is from Baccano. However, yeah, they are both from a similar genre of art, so it isn't that surprising. And a few pictures here are in a bit of a more seinen/bishoujo style, so you are correct (as that also kinda defines Persona's art).

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
Simalacrum said:
While yes, the Internet is filled with sexualisation of everything, I would argue that the problem is particularly prevalent for women, especially when its their looks and their looks alone that make them sexualised; while male figures such as Putin has been sexualised as a 'manly man' because of how he acts (e.g. publicising photos of him hunting, etc)

In regards to 'validity', I say this because, by reporting this news story (and furthermore not commenting on either her past achievements/policies OR criticising the sexualisation) it gives the impression that sexualising women in this manner is OK, when it isn't. It would be less of an issue if she were dramatised/sexualised because of her actions (as in the case with Putin), but the fact that this whole shenanigans is based on looks and looks alone means that it should be criticised - but isn't.
Actually the root if this sexualisation is caused by her serious demeanor, by the fact that she is in a position of power and by her good looks. This all playes together and creates this kind of attraction. You argue that this effect is based solely on her looks, well I´m not sure it´s that simple since not every hot chick or dude on television gets the same reaction.

Putin is a similar case actually. Some random, maybe slightly weird, chick sees good lookin guy who is in a position of authority and power, then fantasizes about him and starts drawing fanfiction of him and naruto. The whole thing is based on a very superficial reaction to media and I would say it happens on both sides of the gender fence to an equal degree and for mostly the same reasons. Even if the reason for this attraction may differ, men may be more into looks and women may be more into what they percieve is someones "personality" based on some pictures they saw, this kind of stuff can have many reasons some of wich may even be based on neurophysiological differences.

Ima go out on a limp and say women fantasize about men equally as much as men about women, the reasons and forms this takes may differ, but thats absolutly no reason that such behavior should be condemmed. You argue that the politics she is involved in are far more important then her looks and I´m not even gonna try to disagree with you there since they are. But condemming those who are not interrested in this particular politicians part in a pretty big game and just thought "hey i realy like her ima draw some fanfiction" is kinda ridicoulus if you ask me. I rolled my eyes when the girls back in school where hanging up posters of orlando bloom and I roll my eyes at this, but I roll my eyes even harder at people proclaiming that such behavior is inherently evil or something.

People fantasize about fucking people they might see in some movie, commercial or news segments without giving much of a fuck abut theyr intellect or personality. Some of these people then draw pictures of the people they fantasize about, aside from that being kinda weird im perfectly fine with it.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Daverson said:

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Mortuorum said:
Chemical Alia said:
That is some reckless and cavalier use of the term top-notch. The only one that even resembles the actual person is a straight up copy job from a screen grab. I really don't understand the fascination, she just looks like some ordinary woman.
At least the author got to be super-patronizing by referring to a sovereign nation's highest legal authority (who happens to be an attractive 33-year old woman)as "a rather attractive young lady."
How is that patronizing? 33 is not old. By the standards of today 33 is quite young. Many people don't settle down until well into their 30's. Some people haven't even launched a career at that age. So yes, she is a "young lady," especially if we consider her position, which is a very high position for a person so young. The US Attorney General is currently 63 - nearly old enough to be this woman's grandfather. Like it or not, she is young. I think the term "young lady" is appropriate considering the type of person one would expect to be in her position.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
To be fair, she is a very attractive woman, and I can see the fun in anime-fying real-life people, as this isn't the first time I've seen this. This all seems rather harmless to me. In fact, I find this all rather amusing. Besides, I doubt someone of her position would care what a bunch of anime fans all the way in Japan depict her as. Now, if they were hentai pics, then that would be a little uncomfortable.

And she does kinda look like Annie Leonhart from Attack on Titan to me.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
DrOswald said:
Mortuorum said:
Chemical Alia said:
That is some reckless and cavalier use of the term top-notch. The only one that even resembles the actual person is a straight up copy job from a screen grab. I really don't understand the fascination, she just looks like some ordinary woman.
At least the author got to be super-patronizing by referring to a sovereign nation's highest legal authority (who happens to be an attractive 33-year old woman)as "a rather attractive young lady."
How is that patronizing? 33 is not old. By the standards of today 33 is quite young. Many people don't settle down until well into their 30's. Some people haven't even launched a career at that age. So yes, she is a "young lady," especially if we consider her position, which is a very high position for a person so young. The US Attorney General is currently 63 - nearly old enough to be this woman's grandfather. Like it or not, she is young. I think the term "young lady" is appropriate considering the type of person one would expect to be in her position.
I feel compelled to disagree with you as I have others. Context matters of course, but a person anywhere near her own age referring to her as "Young Lady" is patronizing. Would you find it acceptable for a 50 year old man at a board meeting to refer to a 33 year old executive as "Young Lady"? It smacks of the dismissiveness one would use when speaking to a child. It's made worse in this article because he doesn't actually mention her real age. If he were to say that she is young at 33 to hold such a high position of power, that might be acceptable, but just saying she's a "cute young lady" comes off as being patronizing. I don't think doing it is some great sin or anything, but it's totally out of place in a news article.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
dumbseizure said:
Oh for god sake.

Do we really need anime style drawings of her, shes an actual person! Aren't pictures good enough.
Because actual people are off-limits? It's fan-art. Get over it.

OT: In this thread: people overreacting.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Gorrath said:
DrOswald said:
Mortuorum said:
Chemical Alia said:
I feel compelled to disagree with you as I have others. Context matters of course, but a person anywhere near her own age referring to her as "Young Lady" is patronizing. Would you find it acceptable for a 50 year old man at a board meeting to refer to a 33 year old executive as "Young Lady"? It smacks of the dismissiveness one would use when speaking to a child.
I would certainly find it acceptable for a 50ish year old person to refer to a 30ish year old person as young. But I don't consider "you are young" to be an inherent insult.

Now, if the person was talking directly to the younger person that might be insulting, but only in the same way that "hey you" would be insulting. But in the specific case the person is being described, and I find it a perfectly accurate description.

I think you may be projecting what you expect a phrase to mean rather than what it actually means. I noticed that earlier in this thread someone else suggested "young woman" would have been more appropriate. To me that sounds far more patronizing because that is what my parents said to my sisters when they got in trouble. "You are in trouble young woman!" I get the feeling that you might have some history with the phrase "young lady" that is making you interpret it in this way.

It's made worse in this article because he doesn't actually mention her real age. If he were to say that she is young at 33 to hold such a high position of power, that might be acceptable, but just saying she's a "cute young lady" comes off as being patronizing. I don't think doing it is some great sin or anything, but it's totally out of place in a news article.
I don't find it as patronizing or out of place because it is describing the relevant facts about this woman to the readers. She is a rather attractive lady and she is unexpectedly young, which is why all this art of her is being made. Her exact age isn't really important.

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
Simalacrum said:
Not only that, but The Escapist and other nerd culture websites reporting on this otherwise obscure and irrelevant story gives the whole thing validity and publicity that it doesn't deserve.
Fluff stories: Not just for geek sites anymore!

From the BBC [http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-26663168]

OT

1. A stereotypical 'cute anime thing' happens in real life.
2. Fanart gets made about it.
3. If the Fanart gets retweeted enough, News sites will write a fluff piece.

I think 'young couple under an umbrella' was the last one that got a lot of attention.

Source [http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/02/08-1/japanese-couples-snow-storm-interview-inspires-new-meme]

It's brainless fun. I don't think anyone is going to put this behavior on a pedestal or try to convince someone this is the best the internet has to offer.

There were people who got upset and made a big deal out of Umbrella Couple too. Y'know, It's awful how the girl is so repressed that she's embarrassed by public displays of affection. People who find that reaction to be 'cute' are supporting a harmful culture.

I don't mind this. This reaction is completely humorless, but they're not trying to be funny. More of a public service. Like if twitter exploded with cute bunny pics and someone decides to add a comment that warns against impulsively buying a cute animal. It's a bit condescending, but better safe than sorry. (I should talk).

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
So after sending bunch of heavily armed, well trained soldiers wearing new digital flora uniforms (removing their patches was basically equal to giving them huge signs that say: "We're totally not Russian soldiers, honestly"), Putin's new plan is to send a pretty lady to charm everyone? Is he a Bond villain?

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
I'm not sure what's worse. Being a woman in a position of power & being called cold, bossy, and bitchy. OR being a woman in a position of power & being called adorable, kawaii, and drawn into someone's fantasy, furry fetish.

Either way, what that woman is really saying, good or bad, is getting mostly ignored, dismissed, and not taken seriously in the slightest.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
PirateRose said:
I'm not sure what's worse. Being a woman in a position of power & being called cold, bossy, and bitchy. OR being a woman in a position of power & being called adorable, kawaii, and drawn into someone's fantasy, furry fetish.

Either way, what that woman is really saying, good or bad, is getting mostly ignored, dismissed, and not taken seriously in the slightest.
I would not say that. In fact, I had no idea this person even existed before this article. Now that I know that this person actually exists and is apparently near the center of this what has been going down I am interested in her position in this conflict. Even as I comment in this thread I am reading up on what this woman is really saying.

It is possible to find someone attractive on a physical level and still take them seriously.