Criminals and Vampires Coming to Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Criminals and Vampires Coming to Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Character videos uncovered in the PC version of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light has pushed Crystal Dynamics into acknowledging four of the game's new faces.

Crystal Dynamics has unveiled the first wave of downloadable characters for Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. Joining Lara and Totec in their battle against the evil spirit Xolotl, are Raziel and Kain from the from the Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver series, and Kane and Lynch from, well, Kane & Lynch.

The internet beat Crystal Dynamics to the punch, however. A YouTube user, calling himself "MrNightmareTM [http://www.youtube.com/user/MrNightmareTM]" discovered videos for the new characters tucked away in the PC version of the game, and uploaded his findings for the world to see. The videos for the characters show that models are already in the game - or certainly, the PC version anyway - but they're just straight model swaps for the existing characters, and don't have the right voices or any different gameplay.

In what seems to be an effort to get ahead of the news, developer Crystal Dynamics set up a poll on Twitter [http://twitter.com/#!/CrystalDynamics/status/10068891451527169], asking players which of the two characters packs they wanted released first. The consensus on the Guardian of Light forums [http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=279] seems to be that Raziel and Kain would be the better choice, which is pretty easy to understand, as they're powerful vampires, rather than guys in suits.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5703433/kane-and-lynch-and-kain-and-raziel-and-the-guardian-of-light]

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
really, Crystal Dynamics? really?

Kane & Lynch?

on a side note, Raziel and Kain, wow, haven't seen those guys in a while

if you excuse me, I'm gonna go pop in Soul Reaver in my Dreamcast for a while, need my daily dose of "anti-twilight"

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I really hope Raziel gets the Soul Reaver whenever his rage bar thing goes to full. I've speculated that would be it's purpose ever since the game got released.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I wonder if my old Legacuy of Kain game still works...

I have to check it out.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
This proves they haven't forgotten about Legacy of Kain...

Is another game coming?

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
First of all, i´m thrilled to see Raziel again in a game. Now if only he had HIS voice, that´d be enough for me to buy it.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Thomas Guy said:
Did ANYONE like Kane and Lynch? Isn't the game famous for being a massive letdown?
I thought the first one was alright, just average really.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
How about next time, instead of some Raziel and Kain character skins without the original voices, we get a Raziel and Kain GAME!

Or hell just release a CD with Michael Bell and Simon Templeman talking to each other for a couple of hours. Ear sex right there.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Clever. This way they can do a small test to see if there's interest in a series revival from the genre's fans.

Cudcat

Nov 14, 2010
So it's just skins? No new voiceovers or weapons? No special abilities? Doesn't give me much incentive to buy. I'd probably just get miffed at Raziels voice.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Kain and Raziel: FUCK YES!
Kane and Lynch: FUCK NO.

anthony87 said:
How about next time, instead of some Raziel and Kain character skins without the original voices, we get a Raziel and Kain GAME!

Or hell just release a CD with Michael Bell and Simon Templeman talking to each other for a couple of hours. Ear sex right there.
You have won one (1) internet. Please redeem your coupon at the kiosk.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
The article is wrong. They arent first because of just being vampires, they are first because they are well developed characters that just happens to be time traveling-demon slayers-fuck you destiny-vampires with cool swords

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
anthony87 said:

actually they DIDNT get the actors to DO the voices, they just shamelessly copy pasted the voices that may or may not be in context with what is happening in the cutscene

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
WrongSprite said:
Thomas Guy said:
Did ANYONE like Kane and Lynch? Isn't the game famous for being a massive letdown?
I am surpriced that NO ONE here actually posted something like
"Did ANYONE like Kain and Raziel??? Isn't the game famous for being a massive letdown?"

simply because there isnt a final game to give all the answers or simply because they keep quoting Blood Omen 2 as the worst of the series

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
DioWallachia said:
WrongSprite said:
Thomas Guy said:
"Did ANYONE like Kain and Raziel??? Isn't the game famous for being a massive letdown?"

simply because there isnt a final game to give all the answers or simply because they keep quoting Blood Omen 2 as the worst of the series
Quality necromancy sir, +10 points to you.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
WrongSprite said:
DioWallachia said:
WrongSprite said:
Thomas Guy said:

Quality necromancy sir, +10 points to you.
Yeah, but 10 points more isnt going to make any diference when i need like 1 Googolplex points to win a Necronomicon, 10 millons of point to buy a sanity regeneration augmentation to avoid getting crazy by reading it, and finally 2 billons to learn a spell to resurrect Tony Jay for a last voice acting session for a last game of Legacy of Kain. (sigh)

Anyway, i am alone on this when i think that the series just banished from the memories of every single person on Earth?? because i fell that this game made no impact at all or its the fangirls killed the series by inundating the Crystal Dinamic company with shipping of Kain - Raziel?? i mean, didnt the dual world (Physical and Spectral Realms) used in Soul Reaver was a good example of decent 3D plataforming back in its day?? I know that Legend of Zelda of the SNES predates the concept of dual world (i think) but for a 3D world that is a fucking accomplishment, just ask Bubsy 3D. And how about the voice acting?? since 1996 with Blood Omen 1 they were using decent actors and still nothing....not even on this site is mentioned. Did i become a fanboy and there is actually nothing worth on the series??

I guess i have to do the voice myself. If only i knew audio editing and what micro should i use to record my voice.

By the way, here is an idea i posted before:

"Oh Silicon Knights. Since you made Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain and Eternal Darkness there is nothing good left on you isn't it? i wish that at least Eidos and Crystal Dinamics didn't kicked to the trash all your ideas for the sequel to the first Legacy of Kain game and instead we got what Crystal Dinamics shat out as LoK: Soul Reaver 1 witch was incomplete and most of its voice acting scenes seemed to anemic compared to the other games (however there is no shortage of block puzzles in SR1.....dear god there isnt a single frame that isnt block puzzles) And its was eventually revealed that the game content was cut short for time constrains they are still on the CD if you can hack your way into it.
In short, it exist only to have the crowing gem that is LoK: Soul Reaver 2 where the story get so compelling and makes so many references to the other games (timelines) to spin your head around. But it would have been nice to see what Silicon Knights planed for the original game and also have a remastering for Soul Reaver 1 made by Crystal Dinamics but this time with ALL the content accessible this time. Because free will and fighting destiny its is core theme of these games, they should allow the choice of making the events flow to make Soul Reaver 2 happen or they could end just like Soul Reaver 1 was intended, all the fans will love it and you will have more money on your pockets for making a remastering of this game (they should use the Playstation 2 graphics because the body language in cutscenes and actions felt more organic than in LoK: Defiance )"