Critical Gaming's Year End Wrap up

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I know it is not quite over, but looking at the upcoming releases and there is really nothing coming out that interests me enough to hold back this year-end round up. So hold on to your butts folks this post is gonna be long.

THE YEAR IN GAMING:
So first I want to go over the year in general before I get to my top and bottom five games of the year. 2017 was a very very good year for video games we had some incredible releases, and despite a bit of industry bullshit, the year overall was pretty fucking sweet.

First let's talk about the good:

1. To my surprise the Switch turned out to be a pretty good system with some solid games on it. Sadly the third party offerings on the system are still basically ports and we've yet to see anything original and great, but having played a lot of my Switch on business trips I do have high hopes for the system.

2. Going along with console launches, Microsoft finally dropped the Xbox One X which seems to be a much better Xbox system overall. Hopefully Microsoft can back a good system up with some good games because if you just take the XBone library into account, there is little reason to actually pick up an X still. But hey, a good console is a good console no matter what right?

3. Games Games Games! God there were some fantastic games this year. Hell even the ones that I don't consider absolutely stealler were still pretty damn good.

Now for the bad:

1. Loot boxes. I mean really? These fucking things were in sooo many games that it is fucking stupid. Most of the games are completely broken because of them. Call of Duty, Battlefront 2, Shadow of War, AC Origins, on and on. Holy fuck people stop buying this shit would ya?

2. Nintendo doesn't want you money. Oh yeah I mean the Switch is great, but if you wanted one early this year to play Zelda....well good fucking luck. Top that off with TWO emulator mini consoles that were so short supplied the average cost of ownership requires a second fucking morgage on your house. I get that Nintendo might be unsure of how many units they sold, but you'd think after seeing how crazy the first batch went they'd....I dunno... MAKE MORE!? On top of that they didn't make enough of the SECOND console! How do you literally screw up three times for the exact same thing in the exact same year?

3. Fuck EA. Just on principal.

Now that is out of the way let's talk top and bottom 5 games of the year for me.

Let's start at the bottom of the barrel in my opinion. Now I know you guys are probably gonna hate this list, but keep one thing in mind. These are games that I actively disliked, but not necessarily bad games. They either were un-fun, genuinely bad, or other reasons *cough cough lootboxes cough*.

NUMBER 5: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild.
Oh boy I can hear the rage coming towards me already. Let me explain though. BotW is the most un-fun thing I have ever played. Not just un-fun, but ANTI-fun. Everything in the game seems custom-made to fucking annoy me. From rapidly breaking weapons, to a vast boring world that is too much hassle to actually traverse, to the samey shrines that are the only thing breaking up the boring exploration, everything in this game annoyed me. I hate it, and I hate that everyone loves it but I can't figure out why. Look at the end of the day if you enjoyed BotW, that's fantastic and if you think it deserves GOTY, then by all means put it on your list. But I couldn't STAND this game.

NUMBER 4: Shadow of War
Man this one sucks for me to have it here. I honestly had a lot of fun with this game at first. Then the grind started and the fucking shop taunted me the entire time. Shadow of War broke down too quickly into a repetitive slog for me to continue much beyond the second act. Technically this isn't a bad game, it's got great combat, great graphics, and everything works. It just doesn't stay fun for very long as it stays too samey for too long. A big fat 'MEH".

NUMBER 3: South Park The Fractured But Whole
God I was hyped for this game. But going on the theme with this year's bottom list, this game was just disappointing. While the combat is a big step up from the Stick of Truth, everything else is far below the bar set by the first game. The Story is lame, the jokes don't land 99% of the time, the exploration isn't as unique or fun, and the environment puzzles are stupid.

NUMBER 2: Call of Duty WWII
It's CoD. It's a stupid CoD. With Loot boxes. The characters suck, the story sucks. Can we have Infinity Ward back please? No? Well Fuck you Activision.

NUMBER 1: Agents of Mayhem
A game so bland, boring and dumb that I fucking forget it exists. I literally fucking forgot this game until I started writing this post. Like....how do you go from the awesome Saint's Row games to this? This is the kind of Saturday morning cartoon knock off bullshit that would make me go to me weekend homework instead of watching it. Stay away from this game at all costs. It isn't worth anyone's time, even on sale....or free.

Well now that that's out of the way. Let's get to the good stuff....actually let's get to the truly GREAT stuff.

NUMBER 5: Pyre
Looking for something unique? Look no further than this fantasy visual novel basketball game. I mean Pyre is hard to describe really, but it is fantastic as one would expect from the guys behind Bastion and Transistor. The Art is stunning, the music is great, and fantasy basketball is a lot of fun. Plus it is a fairly short experience so you don't have to get invested by a 100+ hour open world experience, or an RPG. Speaking of which.....

NUMBER 4: Persona 5
Regular anime high school folks get involved in a demon realm where they find they have the ability to change evil people for the "better" in the real world by kicking their demon-version's ass. Sounds crazy? Well yeah it is. Crazy and great. Persona is already a cult favorite series and this was the first game I've played. I'm looking forward to trying the older Persona's when I get time, because this game was a blast. The game just oozes style from everywhere, the menu, the battle screen, the music, the characters, everything has a style and that style is badass. The only down side is how fucking LONG this game is, and it falters a little with anime episode filler. But otherwise fantastic.

NUMBER 3: Resident Evil 7
I've been a fan of the RE series every since the first one on Playstation 1. The first four games were great, then for some reason RE went batshit crazy and made 5 and 6 which were shit. Then Resident Evil decided to go 1st person, and it is the first game that actively scared the fucking shit out of me. So much so that I could only play in 30 minute spurts for the first few hours of the game. God this is a fantastic new direction for RE as a series and I hope they don't fuck it up in the next game. Seven isn't perfect though, and it falls back on becoming a little too action heavy in the last act, but the first 2/3rd's of the game are so good that it doesn't matter. Welcome Home RE.

NUMBER 2: Nioh
Man I have been fighting back and forth between Number 1 and 2 on this list. But ultimately Nioh falls to the Number 2 slot. If you are unaware Nioh is a Samurai Dark Souls-like game. It's much faster than Dark Souls or Bloodborne, but those or the best comparisons to Nioh. Actually think Dark Souls with a Diablo loot system. I love loot systems (not lootboxes) man and Nioh's is fantastic. The way items work there is far more diversity in building and maximizing a character than anything the Souls series ever could offer. I really hope we see more of these better Souls-like evolutions and less of shit like The Surge and Lords of the Fallen.

NUMBER 1: Horizon Zero Dawn
There isn't a damn thing about this game that isn't fucking perfect. The open world is great, large but not too large and filled with just enough to do that it all feels doable with feeling overwhelming. The story is wonderfully clever and while it is just a post-apoc story, it's unique storyline is just great. Fighting robot dinosaurs is amazing, breaking off pieces to weaken them and collect extra supplies is a nice touch. Aloy has a stupid name, but is a good character with a fun story arc herself. The side quests are all interesting (if not as well written as Witcher 3 stuff, but nothing is so can't compare them really). Horizon is the only game this year (except Nioh) that kept me thinking about it all year long. Considering it came out in February that's quite a feat, especially in the year of video games we've had.

HONERABLE MENTIONS:

The following are games that I had a shit load of fun with, but just didn't quite make the Top 5 cut.

Assassin's Creed Origins - which is incredible since I haven't liked any of the AC games before this. But hey they tried to make a Witcher-lite AC game and it works. So how about that?

Mario Odyssey - The best Mario I've played in a decade at least. Great game, just not enough substance to warrant a Top 5 spot.

Tales of Berseria - Another really good RPG that came out early this year. Cool Main cast, fun combat, it's a Tales game, they're pretty consistantly decent games and this one is a bit better than most.

Well that's it I think. Let me know what you thought of 2017.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh shit, was Horizon Zero Dawn this year?! Man, that feels like a very very long time ago.
And I gotta disagree - that game was boring as all piss. It peaked, blew its load, and jumped the shark all at the same time when they killed off the only interesting characters early on at the Proving. Wow, the grizzled mentor, and the clever proud young woman and the cocky snarky blonde kid with a heart of gold, all dead in the same 5mins?! Jeez, save something for the second and third acts guys! They were only 3 of the 5 named characters!

After that huge letdown the game struggled to pick up the pieces and never felt as coherent or worthwhile, and never built up a good pace. Even hunting robot dinosaurs felt like more a chore than a central mechanic.

Fractured But Whole is just a DLC vector pretending to be a South Park game.

Resident Evil 7: YouTube Bait, god bless its duplicitous heart for trying, but you're not Amnesia, you're not Outlast, and you're at your best with corny poorly translated 90s action stars running through Fright Fest Six Flags. Hell, I'll admit its creepy, and certainly a better horror game than RE6, but Resident Evil was never scary - it was always corny, more in line with Army of Darkness than the Exorcist. In that light RE6 is the superior Resident Evil game, specifically because it wasn't trying to be scary, because that's never been part of the RE premise.

Didn't play any of the others, though I will admit to some curiosity for Shadow of War - just waiting for the inevitable price drop. No way I'm paying full price for a Freemium game.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I'd personally summarize the year much like my A new golden age for gaming? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.1022932-A-new-golden-age-for-gaming#24131912] thread. Yeah, AAA is probably about the worst it's ever been with regards to stuff like lootboxes, but the mid-tier devs have really picked it up so much that there's alternatives that are better than what the AAAs are producing so why even bother with AAA honestly? There's Divinity Original Sin 2 and Shadow Tactics for example. Both Hob and Rime look to be really good and are on my list of games I need to play. Pyre made Critical's list for best games of the year. There's still some light in the AAA market as well as the cream of the crop games don't seem to be pulling the bullshit whether we're talking Persona 5, Horizon, or several Bethesda published games like Dishonored/Prey and Wolfenstein. The fact that Arkane Studios can make 0451 games in the AAA market is pretty awesome.

Not only did 2017 have some stellar games, probably the best year in quite awhile, there's some positive transitioning going on as well.

CritialGaming said:
Now that is out of the way let's talk top and bottom 5 games of the year for me.

NUMBER 5: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild.

NUMBER 4: Shadow of War

NUMBER 3: South Park The Fractured But Whole

Well now that that's out of the way. Let's get to the good stuff....actually let's get to the truly GREAT stuff.

-Though I haven't played Zelda, I'm guessing I might have a similar take on it if/when I do play it, which would require me getting a WiiU (as I want one for Bayonetta and Wonderful 101 mainly). I'm either going to love or hate the world finding it engrossing like say Shadow of the Colossus or just plain boring as all shit. The game definitely does have a lot of different things you can do in and out of combat that seem pretty fun though as Dunkey's video [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EvbqxBUG_c] highlights to some hilarity.
-I found Shadow of Mordor boring and repetitive as it was basically LotR-skinned Arkham game. Even looking at the skill tree, I already knew all the skills from Batman.
-I've come to realize that before playing something I always now ask myself if it's worth actually PLAYING. I did play Stick of Truth but the gameplay was so run-of-the-mill that I realized after playing that I would've got the same enjoyment out of watching a playthrough honestly (and in much less time) because all the good stuff had nothing to do with the gameplay honestly. I heard that Fractured But Whole was like baby's 1st strategy RPG so why should I PLAY it then?
-I should really try Nioh at some point, the combat system does look pretty promising with legit depth to it. The only thing keeping me from playing is the fear that the RPG "busywork" will be too much.

Silentpony said:
Horizon Zero Dawn... It peaked, blew its load, and jumped the shark all at the same time when they killed off the only interesting characters early on at the Proving.
Huh? The game didn't get good until after the Proving. I was sorta bored until the world actually opened up with better enemies than watchers and grazers, and the beginning area was also the least visually interesting area too.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenixmgs said:
Silentpony said:
Horizon Zero Dawn... It peaked, blew its load, and jumped the shark all at the same time when they killed off the only interesting characters early on at the Proving.
Huh? The game didn't get good until after the Proving. I was sorta bored until the world actually opened up with better enemies than watchers and grazers, and the beginning area was also the least visually interesting area too.
It might be partially my fault, as I had just finished Ghost Recon(my GOTY) and the thing Zero Dawn had over it was interesting characters. Once they all died off, I was left with another huge open map filled with collecting quests, side quests, and interchangeable factions, without even helicopters or night vision!

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Well we've had the rise of loot boxes. With 2k, EA, and WB (Shadow of War) all ruining games completely with them. Activision sort of scurrying by with the obtrusive, but not completely detrimental form in the shadows of those great cluster----s. Ubisoft kind of comes out with a draw, since that was half of For Honor diving headfirst off a cliff, but then the store options in AC : Origins are almost unnoticeable without seeking them out.

Retail copies of Early Access games. While you could make a case that that's already been done before, with your GTA 5, and your Titanfall 2, and your Overwatch, all throwing their hats in by the promise of ongoing free updates (the latter two being a bit more anemic at launch then the first, granted). We have now seen both Ark Survival Evolved do a retail launch while the game literally wasn't finished yet (even if they did technically finish shortly after), and Epic's Fortnite, which is an even weirder case of selling disc copies for beta access to a game that will be free to play on its actual release in January.

In a more interesting sage of 2017, Nintendo goes into weird bizarro world times. An acclaimed Switch title was from a third party (Ubisoft), and a strategy game at that. I mean, its still Mario branded (that they let a third party use Mario is also kind of an odd one). Long time regurgitating franchise Mario is bizarrely mechnically diverse. Granted, the mechanics get introduced and dropped like pop hits in 1998, so it does at times feel like a brainstorming session or programming challenge got coalesced into a game a bit.

On the inverse side, Zelda drops its trademark use of dozens of alternate mechanics gadgets (and its trademark dungeons). Breath of the Wild dodged my bottom 5 (partially because its at least a functional game), but the giant shallow world with combat as its only consistent gameplay (against a bare handful of enemies that are repeated with pallete swaps) really drags down what used to be a complex crafted experience (nevermind the quests all being MMO "Fetch me twenty bear asses, sirrah).

Now, I don't mention those three titles without a point to get to. That being that Nintendo seems to have been bitten by the "quantity over quality" bug. Mario and Zelda both suffer from having literally over a thousand collectibles. And in both cases, they seem to run out of ideas after a hundred, if that. Zelda's shrines quickly degrade into a repeated fight with an enemy or just the reward in a room (and Korok "puzzles" aren't much better, some straight up consisting of lifting a random rock). The first 20 or 30 odd moons of Odysseys levels will tend to use the unique transformations or platforming challenges, but then start spiralling into ground pounding random spots of dirt. Rabbids starts off with a bit of Metroidvania-esque stuff to find its hidden things in mechanical ways, but the last couple are just variations on "Power that destroys block blocking the thing I can clearly see".

The quick and dirty.

Top 5
Hob, Battle Chasers : Nightwar, Horizon : Zero Dawn, Hollow Knight, 5th spots a little wobbly. Id put Brawlhalla there, but its still got some early shine as its a new release. Mario+Rabbids is another solid contender, or a dark horse candidate in Steamworld Dig 2. Destiny 2 (taken as a campaign shooter, without the end game problems or degraded PvP mode) might even qualify.

Bottom 5
Nioh - A curious example of being both underdeveloped and overdeveloped. At its core Nioh is Dark Souls - Feudal Japan edition. But layers a mess of gibberish with its loot systems, obligatory quicktime-event without a prompt dumped in the combat. Though I can understand folks actually enjoying those elements. On the other hand, it suffers from a ridiculously low variety in enemies and environments. Play this level, now play it backwards, now play it forwards again is in full effect for much of its content. And the game doesn't keep itself brief either, its a huge slog to actually wade through with all its samey repetition over and over again.

Mass Effect Andromeda - Well, its prettymuch covered in depth literally everywhere. Not too much to add to the general discourse. In the bare positive sense, Bioware in its 4th installment inches almost to the level of a generically servicable third-person shooter gameplay. Maybe by Anthem they'll reach the basic level of competence with the action (I don't really plan on getting Anthem, though).

Ark - Survival Evolved - Believe it or not, early-access-for-life title actually had an official launch in August. Don't worry, its still not done, with new launch map Ragnarok still unfinished, and IIRC, the "Storyline" stuff came out in september finally. Ark is a complicated game to rate, as your experiences may vary in singleplayer, dumping mods on the thing like a Bethesda addict coming out of rehab, playing with friends on a private server, or attempting the Official server gameplay. This bottom feeding rating is of that ast one, as I figure its fairest to rate it based on the Official gameplay and Official servers. SO awful server lag, gliches abound. Expect to get literally nowhere if you aren't part of mega-alpha tribes (and if you're on Official PvP, expect to be at the mercy of them). Add in that with Arks official rates, the boring aspects of taming and breeding dinos can literally be 10 hours of watching a bar tick up, while hopefully you do something interesting like watch Netflix or whatever. Yeah, there's core mechanics in the game where you just and wait for hours (technically, some breeding can be whole days). Then your more interesting stuff liek caves (dungeons essentially) often are designed to force you off your dinos entirely, relying on a subpar FPS system and weightless melee.

Elex - About 10-12 years ago, Elex would be a great game. Elex isn't necessarily plagued by glaring issues. Hokey writing, awkward combat. An obtuse progression system that possibly doesn't even work. Unbalanced companions (one companion seems to literally one hit every enemy in the game) with AI that only operates half the time (and no sort of customization to said AI). Minus some graphical quality and an absence of load screens in the reasonably expansive world, this could fit right in with ARPGs I used to play in 2002-2005.

The Escapists 2 - On paper, the Escapists is a novel concept. You (potentially with co-op friends), have to escape from prison. The game is weighted down with insane bugginess, a tedious RNG grind (which makes the timer for a high score system kind of ludicrous) for essential items to any escape plan. The reputation system alternates between being meaningless (Solitary is just a generic minigame to get back out with no implications) or an absolute barrier (when a guard becomes your enemy and literally glues themselves to you). Lots of complex escape plans are possible (if you get through the RNG items to cobble them), but its almost always more efficient and simpler to simply plop down a dummy in your bed, and cut out through the fence at night.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Silentpony said:
Oh shit, was Horizon Zero Dawn this year?! Man, that feels like a very very long time ago.
And I gotta disagree - that game was boring as all piss. It peaked, blew its load, and jumped the shark all at the same time when they killed off the only interesting characters early on at the Proving. Wow, the grizzled mentor, and the clever proud young woman and the cocky snarky blonde kid with a heart of gold, all dead in the same 5mins?! Jeez, save something for the second and third acts guys! They were only 3 of the 5 named characters!
Don't agree it blew its load, since all the cool robot fights and beautiful environments were still to come, but it did seriously cripple Aloy's character arc. Those three characters had so much more mileage in them in regards to Aloy's personal journey. And by killing them off we're left with a protagonist who basically already achieved her goal before the game properly starts; respect and recognition.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Horizon is also my GotY, but I also liked GR: Wildlands a lot more than I expected to. I think the whole point of Horizon was more for Aloy to find out who she is and where she came from vs the whole proving thing. To me that just set the course for the main game, as far as being a sort of unlikely idol for various people to look up to. I was glad to see most of those Proving characters go, and of course her mentor had to die early for typical but justifiable reasons.

Honorable mention for me would be Uncharted: Lost Legacy. In fact I?d consider it the most balanced Uncharted in the whole series, in terms of gameplay, story, and length.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
hanselthecaretaker said:
Horizon is also my GotY, but I also liked GR: Wildlands a lot more than I expected to. I think the whole point of Horizon was more for Aloy to find out who she is and where she came from vs the whole proving thing. To me that just set the course for the main game, as far as being a sort of unlikely idol for various people to look up to. I was glad to see most of those Proving characters go, and of course her mentor had to die early for typical but justifiable reasons.

Honorable mention for me would be Uncharted: Lost Legacy. In fact I?d consider it the most balanced Uncharted in the whole series, in terms of gameplay, story, and length.
Wildlands was so fun to play with friends online! Just a great big South American sandbox to teach a right lesson about not being Northern American enough!

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
CritialGaming said:
To my surprise the Switch turned out to be a pretty good system with some solid games on it. Sadly the third party offerings on the system are still basically ports and we've yet to see anything original and great, but having played a lot of my Switch on business trips I do have high hopes for the system.
a Mario & Rabbids crossover strategy game in the style of X-com, made Ubisoft isn't original enough or 3rd Party enough for you?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
It's very unlikely that I'll finish a singleplayer game before the year's out, so while I haven't played any 2017 singleplayer games (this isn't out of some aversion to modern games, I just lag behind a lot in all forms of media), here's a list/ranking of the ones I have played this year

THE BAD

9) InFamous: Precinct Assault

8) Section 8

THE OKAY

7) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

6) Medal of Honour: Rising Sun

5) Medal of Honour: Vanguard

4) Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

THE GOOD

3) BioShock

2) GoldenEye

1) The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh man, i'm far too depressed and sober to write that much or focus on rating negative entertainment memories especially. Just gonna throw out some names and not justify their presence in any meaningful way.
Pyyre (It's sounds more like a cooler 'purr' sometimes).
Rain World
H:ZD
Res7
That's it probably.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Games of the year 2017
1) Elex
2) XING: The Land Beyond
3) Stories Untold
4) The Sexy Brutale
5) Paradigm

Honorable mentions:
Divinity Original Sin 2
Thimbleweed Park
Darkside Detective
Four Last Things
Bear With Me
The Dream Machine (episode 6)

The not-very-good:
GR: Wildlands
The Escapists 2
Mass Effect Andromeda
Nioh
The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
South Park The Fractured But Whole
Resident Evil 7
Assassin's Creed Origins
Tales of Berseria
Persona 5
Pyre
Call of Duty WWII
Hob
Shadow of War
Hollow Knight
Mario+Rabbids
Horizon : Zero Dawn

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Hawki said:
2) GoldenEye
Which version is this?

Well, in the other thread I wrote something along the lines of:
Hellblade bored me to tears.

Tekken 7 fucked up with lag, dumb as fuck DLC, that excuse of a character-specific story mode, and the complete lack of Team Battle, Time Attack, and Survival. The fighting itself is good.

That leaves me with Cuphead. If PUBG gets a true and decent release this year, I'll consider buying it.
But that's the 2017 games I played. I spent much time in Binding of Isaac, Overwatch, LoL of Legends (though I think I've quit that one for good) Age of Empires II and some other smaller distractions.

The AAA shit is... more shit than usual. Like, I'm ready to say I don't care, but I still really hope they don't mess up EVERYTHING. Borderlands 3 is eventually coming as is AoE IV...

Getting Over It will be the real hit in December. It has only had a limited release through Humble Bundle, and so I've seen it on Twitch streams and some YT videos. I hang around in Twitch streams quite a lot anyway. I like to pretend it's human contact.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
McElroy said:
Which version is this?
The original N64 game.

McElroy said:
LoL of Legends (though I think I've quit that one for good)
Doesn't that translate as "League of Legends of Legends?" 0_0

Funny that you mention that, I've actually started playing it this year (can't really rank it as it's an ongoing thing, and multiplayer exclusive). Have to say I can see why it's sucked in so many people. I probably still like HotS more overall, but LoL is still a lot of fun. A slower, more tactical ARTS if you will. And I have to say I love the art style.

(Waiting for a Dota 2 fan to come in 3...2...1...)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Persona 5 and Horizon: Zero Dawn would be my picks, as mentioned in some other thread like this.
Also mentioned the fact that while those may be the year's best games, they're not the best games I've played this year.
Those would be... Alien: Isolation, Vanquish and Deadly Premonition.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
CritialGaming said:
Man I have been fighting back and forth between Number 1 and 2 on this list. But ultimately Nioh falls to the Number 2 slot. If you are unaware Nioh is a Samurai Dark Souls-like game. It's much faster than Dark Souls or Bloodborne, but those or the best comparisons to Nioh. Actually think Dark Souls with a Diablo loot system. I love loot systems (not lootboxes) man and Nioh's is fantastic. The way items work there is far more diversity in building and maximizing a character than anything the Souls series ever could offer. I really hope we see more of these better Souls-like evolutions and less of shit like The Surge and Lords of the Fallen.
I am going to have to check this game out, now that there is a PC port. But the port was just released, and from what I've read, it's is a little rough. I will probably wait a bit to give the mod community some time to tweak/improve the port.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Ive just picked up a ps4 after a seperation... she got the PC and Xbox, so Im now looking forward to trying some of these titles. Youre talking about.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Kerg3927 said:
CritialGaming said:
I am going to have to check this game out, now that there is a PC port. But the port was just released, and from what I've read, it's is a little rough. I will probably wait a bit to give the mod community some time to tweak/improve the port.
Get Nioh it is amazing. Yes the PC had a couple of rough patches. But in 65 hours of playing I've only crashed twice, and the game autosaves constantly like Dark Souls, so I never really lost any progress, plus the Co-op matchmaking is 1000 times better than Dark Souls.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
bjj hero said:
Ive just picked up a ps4 after a seperation... she got the PC and Xbox, so Im now looking forward to trying some of these titles. You're talking about.
Lot of good PS4 Exclusive games out there that many are likely cheap and new to you if you haven't played them yet.
Infamous, Killzone, Uncharted 4, The Show (Baseball) and more plus HD Remakes you may have not played.
Have fun with the thing, and, sorry about the breakup.