Critical Miss: #28

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
I've seen female space marines fielded before, so I dunno what this is talking about. I don't see why female gamers would suddenly hate playing males since every other video game features them anyway.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
crotalidian said:
Well the sisters of battle are around and I'm sure they can shoehorn some all female orders into the Marines this is the 40 thousandth century surely equal rights have permitted the induction of females
Umm no. Not a chance in hell. Equal rights? The only people who have equal rights are the Imperial Guard, and that is because they are all equally required to die by the thousands hoping to clog enemy tank tracks with their corpses.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
well just think how akward it is for choosing gender for orks oh thats gonan be funny to watch.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
ItsAPaul said:
I've seen female space marines fielded before, so I dunno what this is talking about.
Unless you're mistaking Adepta Sororitas for female space marines, those armies of 'female space marines' are the work of a sad bastards who spend their time adding on boobs to a space marine army, in defiance of aesthetics (all the examples I've ever seen looked freaking ugly) and lore alike. I mean, there's an entire army that already has those, and the models are actually supposed to be women! If you positively have to have a female army, why not just use the one that IS female, instead of one that any player with respect for the lore refuses to acknowledge as existing at all?

Essentially, the people fielding female marine armies are the 40K equivalent of folks writing horrible slash fiction about shows that are actually cool - they consider themselves fans; normal fans consider them crazy and extremely disrespectful to the source material, while trying to forget that they exist.

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
J03bot said:
For the greater good? [sub]The greater good...[/sub]
Why yes, Hot Fuzz pretty much is the funniest buddy cop movie, ever. Good on ya!

Gildan Bladeborn said:
I've seen a small all-female Space Marine army fielded simply because the guy liked to troll the people who take the game too seriously. Also to see if he was good at sculpting ladies out of the Green Stuff. (Honestly? He wasn't.)

Someone else was inspired by this and took his entire Catachan force and, for one battle, put loosely-stuck pink stickers on the sides of his infantry's bases and made no other modifications beyond that. Claimed that they were Catachan's only all-female regiment.

Yes, the joke was funnier if you saw it in person.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
FargoDog said:
This is the first Critical Miss I can say I didn't get.. Then again, I know nothing about 4OK or MMO's in general.
It actually isn't really about Warhammer or MMOs, so to speak. The joke has more to do with the way fans of a series will raise absolute hell over anything, to the point where no matter what a company does, they're going to have some fanboys/girls sobbing all over their forums about it.

It can apply to any type of game, or movie, or whatever. This particular example just happens to be about Warhammer's MMO.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Mstrswrd said:
...Why does she have a rodent on her head? I haven't noticed it in any other of the comics...
It's a hamster, and it's been in the background of many of the comics. I forget if it has a name or not.

Apr 17, 2009
I don't know whether it's just my mind in the gutter, or the phrase 'poorly endowed' on the same panel, but in Panel 2 I didn't immediately get she was pointing to herself. It looked at first like she was cupping her breasts for some reason...
I think I need to go get those dirty thoughts scrubbed out my head

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Longshot said:
Also, Gortrek and Felix, and all other Black Library Books out there, are actually not official fluff.
Not actually correct - Black Library publications, unless they've been specifically disavowed for some reason, are considered to be as canonical as anything you find in the rulebooks. Same thing goes with fluff found in the licensed RPGs that Fantasy Flight Games makes - everything gets run by the GW folks for approval, and what makes it into the book is canon.

It's possible that, for whatever reason, the books you're talking about aren't considered as such (I don't read WHF novels, I'm all about the 40K side), but in general Black Library books are in fact quite official.
I can't agree with you. Everything I have heard from some very trusted and knowledgeable persons, says that Black Library novels are not canon. I am not sure what GW's stance on this is, but I know that BL novels are rife with inconsistancies, old and new alike.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Longshot said:
I can't agree with you. Everything I have heard from some very trusted and knowledgeable persons, says that Black Library novels are not canon. I am not sure what GW's stance on this is, but I know that BL novels are rife with inconsistancies, old and new alike.
That's hardly something unique to the novels, there have been all sorts of inconsistencies in the rulebooks, especially between subsequent generations but even between army books for the same edition.

As for whether one should consider the novels canon (unless instructed otherwise), I base my position on missives and interactions with Black Library staff members, who frequently trot out the rather annoying "everything is and isn't canon", before reinforcing that the novels don't occupy a "lesser tier of canonical status". The official position regarding lore found in rulebooks, novels, rpgs, etc, is that anything you read might be correct, or it might be a distortion, or simply inaccurate supposition; pretty much all the books are written from an in-universe perspective, even if they seem to take a gods-eye view of events, and as such none are entirely reliable. Everything is propaganda and biased, little is certain.

The FFG writing staff has said pretty much the same thing - everything they publish gets run by the resident keepers of the lore first; if it seems to contradict 'established truth', it could be simple human error, or a conflict of perspective for which there is no clear winner. The one thing all parties agree on is that information found in the rulebooks is true... but it might not be. Everything is and isn't canon.

Except for heretic volumes and whatnot, they don't properly align with the current envisioning of the universe so we're instructed to be skeptical from the get go.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
I just saw, read this comic, then nerdgasmed a bit.

And then totally agreed.

If this 40k MMO isn't up to fluff, (see what I did that? Hahaaaaaaa, I fail) I will be very disappointed...Probably complain about it on /tg/, as well.

THOUGH, it's nice to see the Tempetus being used for once, that Segentum is hardly every used.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Sisters of battle baby....

Sisters of battle.

Now I can see that being altered easily into space amrine like equal footing.

Nothing like a chic with bowl cut black hair in terminator armor...

tris4992

Jul 12, 2010
This comic totaly made sense to me when I first read it, I understood the dillema and I prayed to the god emporah that they wouldn't change the whole lore just some equality in a mmo for christ's sake. But about 8 minutes ago I realized ... hey don't the sisters of battle still exist ? ... problem solved ... if GW fucks that up I'm just gonna attempt to be the first one to create an ork char and then just name myself Ghazkull Uruk Thraka and the first time I die I'm gonna demand game's worshop to give me a titanium skull plate, mega armor and 5 trillion orks to fight my WAAAGH.

The look on the face of the mod receiving the claim should be worth a good laugh

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
The latest trailer for Dark Millennium details the fact that the Imperium is one united side, divided into classes. There's no reason for them not to include the sisters of battle.

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
FargoDog said:
This is the first Critical Miss I can say I didn't get.. Then again, I know nothing about 4OK or MMO's in general.
It's quite simple, really - Most MMOers are female, there are no female space marines (probably the most popular race) according to the lore.
This is the first time I've ever seen MMO's being stated to have a female majority audience. What is the source on this, and exactly what realm of gaming are we talking about here?

More OT, this isn't a gender equality thing, it's just some musing put into comic form.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Danzaivar said:
Brnin8 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
But if you judge Lethal Weapon by Danny Glover...that's a good thing. Danny Glover was funny. And he's getting too old for this shit.

That said, so the lore of 40K really does have no females in the marines? I don't follow the series, so...
Technically there are the Sisters of Battle, but they root out heretics, rogue psykers and the like. You know, those who oppose the EMPRAH!
You know, I think just having Sisters of Battle and classing them as female space marines might actually cause more problems (I.e. Beserk fanboyism) than just allowing female space marines.
I'm not well versed in the Lore, but I had thought that while the Sisters of Battle wore the same armor and carried the same weapons, they were not given extensive gene treatments and augmentation such as the Black Carapace and if I'm not mistaken can actually be broken by casualties. Basically, they are space marines in appearance but they have significantly reduced stats in key areas such as their wound threshold and all that garbage.

Of course, I have never actually played the tabletop game and have only occasionally be drawn into the Wiki after someone links something awesome from it.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Eclectic Dreck said:
Danzaivar said:
Brnin8 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
But if you judge Lethal Weapon by Danny Glover...that's a good thing. Danny Glover was funny. And he's getting too old for this shit.

That said, so the lore of 40K really does have no females in the marines? I don't follow the series, so...
Technically there are the Sisters of Battle, but they root out heretics, rogue psykers and the like. You know, those who oppose the EMPRAH!
You know, I think just having Sisters of Battle and classing them as female space marines might actually cause more problems (I.e. Beserk fanboyism) than just allowing female space marines.
I'm not well versed in the Lore, but I had thought that while the Sisters of Battle wore the same armor and carried the same weapons, they were not given extensive gene treatments and augmentation such as the Black Carapace and if I'm not mistaken can actually be broken by casualties. Basically, they are space marines in appearance but they have significantly reduced stats in key areas such as their wound threshold and all that garbage.

Of course, I have never actually played the tabletop game and have only occasionally be drawn into the Wiki after someone links something awesome from it.
Exactly. So saying that the Sisters are on par with actual Space Marines would just cause a shit-storm among fans.

Then again, saying the girls are weaker than the boys would cause a shitstorm among non-fans.

...It's a delicate situation.

FFKonoko

Nov 26, 2009
Honestly, I don't see there being much problems. Fans of the games want it to be as it is meant to be, and that means male only space marines. Female only battle sisters would be nice, but not essential. The people playing are mostly going to be the fans. Though, hey, if people are such non-fans as to not get the 'space marines are male', then they're also non-fan enough to be able to pretend that whatever they want is beneath that bulky armour? =P
Though...how about if they just put the battle sisters and the space marines side by side, male and female, both under the banner of being the power armoured arm of the imperium? That way there is a clear female/male analogue, without actually getting any lore wrong and still labelling them seperately. You might say that the sisters should have a lot more fire than their brothers, but thats more up to what equipment you put on them. And hey, maybe they can have their own quests/quest rewards with a firery slant.