Critical Miss: #3

Netrosis

Jul 12, 2009
I'm actually kinda curious as to the inconsistency regarding filetype. #2 was a gif, and had poor colouring & dithering.
Textbox colour changed from the 1st to second comic.

It doesn't really affect the comic's ability to pull through the jokes but I am quite concerned about the comic changing so rapidly.
They had a bit of time to refine it all before release.

The comic has some expectations, I wish it great success in meeting those expectations.

However, if it carries along it's current line of shoving punchlines or gags in people's faces I don't feel I'd become a regular reader. I prefer comics with a slightly more clever tone, where the reader gets a chance to realise the funny in their own mind. That's just my preference and opinion.

Hopefully for my sake it's just the comic trying to find it's feet.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
To clear up the confusion Suchong is actually a fancy rat [http://animal-world.com/encyclo/critters/rats/Images/FancyRat2WCRt_AcS136.jpg] and has always been thus. Though considering the slew of things I've managed to screw up so far I wouldn't be suprised if Cory thinks he's a badger or something.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Loved this issue. It's one of the few webcomics that genuinely made laugh when I read them. Keep up the great work!

As for the bear and the rat, I wonder if they could be this webcomic's Lost-style mystery? I'd like that. Just throw them up randomly every now and then.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
PurpleLeafRave said:
The imagine series is an actual series. They're terrible games that people would only buy if they had no idea what a good game is. Hence the Z's. Seems like the audience it is for would use that wording.

I mean...Imagine Fashion model? C'mon!
Wouldnt you mean Imagine Fashion Modelzzzz!?!?!?

heh

Sidereal

Mar 26, 2009
It took me a few re-reads to get the "Shovelware Clive." line.
Finally, I realized it should read, "Shovelware, Clive."

For the love of God, and the survival of humanity, use commas where appropriate!!,!

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
Netrosis said:
I'm actually kinda curious as to the inconsistency regarding filetype. #2 was a gif, and had poor colouring & dithering.
Textbox colour changed from the 1st to second comic.

It doesn't really affect the comic's ability to pull through the jokes but I am quite concerned about the comic changing so rapidly.
They had a bit of time to refine it all before release.

The comic has some expectations, I wish it great success in meeting those expectations.

However, if it carries along it's current line of shoving punchlines or gags in people's faces I don't feel I'd become a regular reader. I prefer comics with a slightly more clever tone, where the reader gets a chance to realise the funny in their own mind. That's just my preference and opinion.

Hopefully for my sake it's just the comic trying to find it's feet.
We are still trying to find our feet and since the first (#1) comic we have changed a lot. We did come up with the concept in under a month and we have made some changes. This is my first time working on a comic and I realize my art is inconsistent but we have been making these for a couple months now and I am slowly getting the hang of it. Thank you for sticking with us!! We hope to meet these expectations.

And right now Suchong is an ambiguous rodent, constantly vaguely changing his own anatomy until the time he is comfortable with myself as an artist.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
One thing that occured to me about why I don't think much of this webcomic yet is that I'm having a really hard time placing her character (I can't even remember her name).

I mean, part of that is that I haven't seen enough episodes, so I haven't been introduced to all the players yet (Note to the creators; ever thought of providing a character sheet?). But another part is that her character isn't really coming through. Apart from the fact that she moans about being a journalist a bit, she lacks any obvious qualities/characteristics.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Hmmmm, informative and entertaining.

Me likey :D

Can't wait to see more of this soon... :)

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
I don't really get it.

I get the point, and I think I get what's supposed to be the punchline. I just don't see the humor in it. The inconsistencies in the art-style and lack of... well, character from the main character don't really help either.

I think it's just not for me, sorry. I want to like it, but it's just not doing it for me.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
theaceplaya said:
Hah well done. So sad but so true. I remember back in the day when the Nintendo Seal of Quality actually stood for something.
You act like they just now started putting the Nintendo Seal of Quality on bad games. They have been slapping that sucker on bad games since the NES. It is just there to show which games Nintendo let release on the console and the unlicensed stuff people made back when games were easy and cheap to make which didn't have the seal. The Nintendo Seal never meant that the game in question was good. It meant Nintendo authorized the game for use on their console regardless of whether it was actually fun to play. If you want a Seal of Quality, make sure it is developed by Nintendo.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
foxyexplosion said:
We are still trying to find our feet and since the first (#1) comic we have changed a lot. We did come up with the concept in under a month and we have made some changes. This is my first time working on a comic and I realize my art is inconsistent but we have been making these for a couple months now and I am slowly getting the hang of it.
Is the post-Out of Tens vanishing of the irises part of the change? Just curious - it's a small change, but it was enough that now I keep getting a craving to read second-year Penny Arcade comics.

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
Jeronus said:
theaceplaya said:
Hah well done. So sad but so true. I remember back in the day when the Nintendo Seal of Quality actually stood for something.
You act like they just now started putting the Nintendo Seal of Quality on bad games. They have been slapping that sucker on bad games since the NES. It is just there to show which games Nintendo let release on the console and the unlicensed stuff people made back when games were easy and cheap to make which didn't have the seal. The Nintendo Seal never meant that the game in question was good. It meant Nintendo authorized the game for use on their console regardless of whether it was actually fun to play. If you want a Seal of Quality, make sure it is developed by Nintendo.
Good point. Props.

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
Formica Archonis said:
foxyexplosion said:
We are still trying to find our feet and since the first (#1) comic we have changed a lot. We did come up with the concept in under a month and we have made some changes. This is my first time working on a comic and I realize my art is inconsistent but we have been making these for a couple months now and I am slowly getting the hang of it.
Is the post-Out of Tens vanishing of the irises part of the change? Just curious - it's a small change, but it was enough that now I keep getting a craving to read second-year Penny Arcade comics.
Actually yea, it was a change we decided on that we actually modeled after early penny arcade stuff... The eyes I usually draw (which are different even from the original strips, those too are a naive and early attempt to be more expressive) were decided to be too un-expressive for a webcomic like this so I'm working on my eyes and have developed more of a style that should be noticeable in the weeks to come. Just don't expect anything too immediate seeing as how currently we are viewing into the past

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
foxyexplosion said:
Actually yea, it was a change we decided on that we actually modeled after early penny arcade stuff... The eyes I usually draw (which are different even from the original strips, those too are a naive and early attempt to be more expressive) were decided to be too un-expressive for a webcomic like this so I'm working on my eyes and have developed more of a style that should be noticeable in the weeks to come. Just don't expect anything too immediate seeing as how currently we are viewing into the past
Interesting. Roughly what kind of buffer do you guys have going? (Assuming that's not some sort of internal thing you can't answer.)

Also, you mentioned your own style being rather different. Any examples you'd care to point at?