Critical Miss: #8

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
So...why isn't there an American flag waving back there, given the source of the speech in the third panel?

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Well... even though the punchline is perfect, I can't laugh.

Perhaps it needs more garlic.

Kalezian said:
Better question: where does the hamster go in panel 4?

Is it in the hamburger?

Wait... hamster... hamburger...

McDonald's hamburgers are made of hamsters!
Actually I'm pretty sure the patties are made of cardboard.

Clearly the hamster is... on... its... smoke break? I dunno, I didn't see the Humane Society say that no animals were harmed during the making of this comic... so your theory is probably the closest to the truth. That or it replaced those two.

Jun 7, 2010
i thought save the trees was a nice touch but i don't get the joke. I was left thinking that they were actually macdonalds employees the whole time dreaming of what it would be like to be game critics.

daemon37

Oct 14, 2009
Back when I was a young man, Critical Miss was hilarious. Over the years it's gone way downhill...

This comic is great. :D

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
AstorSapolsky said:
SomeBoredGuy said:
afaceforradio said:
Kajin said:
These comics are starting to get on my nerves. I keep reading them in the hopes they'll get better but as far as I'm concerned they just keep getting worse.
Yeah me too. I want to find them funny, but whenever I get to the end of a strip I'm like '... um?' and wondering if I was actually meant to laugh or not. I think the punchlines need to be alot stronger.
I'm gonna have to agree with both of you. Some of the earlier ones were actually quite funny, but it seems to have gone downhill pretty fast when you consider how much potential these strips have. I guess you could describe it as a "Critical Miss". /ba-dum-tish
I couldn't even say the same for the earlier ones. These aren't going downhill, they're just already scraping the bottom of the barrel.
PS. Is that a Kickassia avatar?
Wow. You know what would solve your problem? Stop reading them.

In the meantime, sorry all this free entertainment isn't up to your high standerds.

I think the series is ok.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
You won't go quietly into the night, but I have the feeling you'll go quietly into minimum wage.

Mar 16, 2009
Eldarion said:
AstorSapolsky said:
SomeBoredGuy said:
afaceforradio said:
Kajin said:
Bulbasaur used Cut!
Bulbasaur used Rock Smash!
Bulbasaur used Waterfall!
I couldn't even say the same for the earlier ones. These aren't going downhill, they're just already scraping the bottom of the barrel.

In the meantime, sorry all this free entertainment isn't up to your high standerds.

I'm a premium member, this entertainment is not free.... it's costing me a few dollars a month. :mad:

I read them in hopes that they will get better, but believe me I'm going to stop. Just as the early Unforgotten Realms series were rough around the edges (I'm talking Newgrounds-era UR), I figured this series needed some time. Me giving it the benefit of the doubt beats them not getting any publicity.

Besides, every comment here shouldn't be "rofl you have a great sense of comedic timing and your punchlines are most premium." You know what would solve your anger over the forum? Stop reading the comments.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
AstorSapolsky said:
Eldarion said:

I'm a premium member, this entertainment is not free.... it's costing me a few dollars a month. :mad:

I read them in hopes that they will get better, but believe me I'm going to stop. Just as the early Unforgotten Realms series were rough around the edges (I'm talking Newgrounds-era UR), I figured this series needed some time. Me giving it the benefit of the doubt beats them not getting any publicity.

Besides, every comment here shouldn't be "rofl you have a great sense of comedic timing and your punchlines are most premium." You know what would solve your anger over the forum? Stop reading the comments.
Except I haven't expressed any anger, just stated a fact then my opinion. Just because I disagree does not make me the angry one. Also, the comic is free you don't need premium membership to see it. The fact that you pay for membership is your problem. I don't think that every comment needs to be praising the comic but your just being rude. Constructive criticism would be one thing, but all you did was insult it so you aren't even contributing.

Mar 16, 2009
Eldarion said:
AstorSapolsky said:
Eldarion said:
Bulbasaur used Spark!
Sandshrew used Bulbasaur!
Except I haven't expressed any anger, just stated a fact then my opinion. Just because I disagree does not make me the angry one. Also, the comic is free you don't need premium membership to see it. The fact that you pay for membership is your problem. I don't think that every comment needs to be praising the comic but your just being rude. Constructive criticism would be one thing, but all you did was insult it so you aren't even contributing.
You are mistaking apathy for anger... I am really not angry over this series, just disinterested. I wasn't griping over my membership or using it for anything. The :mad: was in jest, I really don't use emoticons when I'm angry.
I never claimed to be contributing anything of value. Although I wouldn't describe our words as rude... on the internet's standards our comments were near gentleman-quality.
Not really looking to pick an arguement over this.

Coelasquid

Feb 16, 2010
Eldarion said:

Just playin' Devil's advocate here, it's not really free entertainment if the person is on a contract being paid to produce it. You might not personally be putting down cash for it, but somebody is. It's like saying people shouldn't be able to complain about shows they don't like because TV is free. I mean, you have to pay the cable bill and all, but that really isn't any different than paying to keep the internet plugged in.

Phillip C

Sep 28, 2009
I've been reading this since the contest here, and I'm probably going to open a huge can of worms here (and probably get called a few nasty things here and there and be accused of being jealous of this comic's success), but I'm not too fond of this comic here and I question the tastes of those who like this comic.

Now, I actually liked the very first 4 comics that were shown, I didn't like the art though as it looked very grainy and didn't look like a whole lot of effort was put into it (That's just my first opinion though, but I'll get on the art subject later), but it at least had it's moments. I think the beardsplosion probably cemented it's win along with the subject of game reporters as opposed to 2 guys on a couch and I wish I had thought of that ;3. Reading these latest comics makes me wonder just what exactly happened to the writing process behind this.

Comic #5 instantly comes to my mind as it really makes me cringe, and even though this comic is just beginning as many of you are quick to point out, that was still very tasteless on behalf of the writer and artist. The guy is minus a fucking jawbone right now and fighting cancer! Gamers are constantly misquoting his whole "I don't view games as an art form and they're more like a sport" as "Games aren't art. PERIOD!" So what's the joke there? "EBERT DUN LIEK GAMES! VIOLENCE IS THE ANSWER TO THOSE WHO HAVE LEGITIMATE QUESTIONS ABOUT ANYTHING! KILL THE STUPID FUCKER! ARGLEFLARGLE!" Ugh... I think I'm going to puke. This is juvenile at the least and in very poor taste. The rest of the comic so far has been... OK I suppose, it's got the right formula, build-up and punchline at the end, but the jokes are forced at best and bogged down by a lot of dialogue. Also, who are half these characters, and what's with that hamster everybody is getting all giddy about? I don't think it's funny, I think it looks like a bouncing turd and is a distraction.

Let me piss you folks off even further by talking about the art. OK, I don't hate it, I think there's a lot going on here that's actually very promising if a bit flawed, I like how the guy is actually drawing backgrounds! Lord knows how many people skip over that in webcomics. However, they still look very sloppy and rushed, and his anatomy seriously needs to level up here shortly. Look at those hands in the first panel of comic #8, the girl's left hand has no thumb (oh what, that tiny triangle just barely poking out is a thumb? Take a look at your own hand and call me back if it looks just like that, I can recommend a good doctor who can fix up that strange hand condition you have), she has one finger on that same hand, and a big flipper with 2 lines in the middle of it. The man's right hand is just a square with 3 lines in it and has a thumb attached to it, left hand has some Grinch fingers going on there, they shouldn't curve like that!

The art here is OK, but damn is it inconsistent and rushed. Get some life studies under your belt dude, they'll seriously improve your knowledge a thousand fold and improve your art as well!

So far the first impression of this comic on my end of the spectrum is not good, seriously, what's up with comic #5? Did he just shit in everybody's cereal or something? That was fucking weak sauce and people should get over it. Jokes are forced, art has promise but is rushed to the point where looks unprofessional. I would like to see this comic improve shortly over time, and I'm sure it will. To the creators, I mean no ill will to you (aside from making comic #5), you should look up works by Andrew Loomis for some studies on art (they will be a godsend) along with studying works from pros like the man who did the Watchmen novel http://lforlloyd.deviantart.com/ , and you should take notes from comics like Perry Bible Fellowship, Supertron, Penny Arcade, and Dr. McNinja, doing that would greatly improve your comic! Good luck you two.

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
Kajin said:
DTWolfwood said:
yes quoting one of the best motivational speeches in cinema history is win! XD
No. No, it's not.
name 2 better :p
[One of Henry's soldiers has just wished they had another ten thousand men]

What's he that wishes so?
My cousin Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin;
If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more methinks would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day! An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
[One of Henry's soldiers has just wished they had another ten thousand men]

What's he that wishes so?
My cousin Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin;
If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more methinks would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day! An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!
...um no?

In terms of ones ppl remember most few would argue the speech made in ID4 is one of the most memorable, ripped off or not. By sheer consensus alone it has to be considered one of the best. To be the best ppl have to actually remember it man, im certain there are better speeches out their but i only consider popular culture. Majority rules NEVER the exception.

plus y am i even arguing with u. it is ONE of the best in cinema never said it was the only one! Plus Braveheart also had a great one too :p

OT: Keep the comic coming :D

Lake Deuteronomy

Jun 6, 2010
Phillip C said:
"Games aren't art. PERIOD!" So what's the joke there?
The character, who has previously been shown to be both aggressive and flawed, attacks Ebert. The character.

I don't think George Lucas actually wants to blow up heavily populated planets with a giant superlaser, either, for that matter.

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
"Today we celebrate... Our Independence Day!" -yeah, yeah. They said the same thing about Communism.

"Welcome to Mc.Gopo! May we take your food-ration coupon comrade?"