Critical Miss: Child of Light

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
So, I just got the game on steam. I'm not sure why people describe it as "delightful" and "twee". The girl dies in the intro cut scene, implicitly murdered by an evil stepmother. The art style and rhyming stuff is supposed to be contrast to what is a relatively dark story. It all gives me a kind of Alice in Wonderland sort of vibe. (I'm only just starting though. Maybe its all kittens and rainbows later on.)

Jan 12, 2012
I liked the design and art style- "whimsical", maybe, but I'd prefer "dreamy" or "unreal." It felt like floating through water, with a sense of weightlessness. Plus, it wasn't another "Big headed child in a world of monochrome scaryness" game screaming about their indie nature.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
It was a fairly normal coming of age story, nothing terrible or excellent. This comic was hilarious, though.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I liked the game. It had nice music and nice art. I mean, the tedious combat and uncanny valley of the whimsy was very unnerving, and it gave a very hallow sense of dissonance, but I still enjoyed it.

But it did spawn this amazing piece of art, so it gets points for that.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Personally, I've always had trouble understanding what people mean when they refer to a work of fiction as "whimsical". I lump that word together with words like "poetic", "soulful", "charming" or "campy" in the category "Words that can basically mean whatever the person using it wants it to mean".

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Personally, I've always had trouble understanding what people mean when they refer to a work of fiction as "whimsical". I lump that word together with words like "poetic", "soulful", "charming" or "campy" in the category "Words that can basically mean whatever the person using it wants it to mean".
Whenever I hear something described as "whimsical," I look at it and almost immediately react with "that's not like The Phantom Tollbooth at all!"

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol. got my self this game yesterday on steam and actually enjoy but sure struggle whit these boss battles. especially now with these 3 headed hydras.

but funny comic though.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
What I found interesting about the game: The girl's name is Aurora, there's an evil woman involved, and she is trying to wake up.

Is it just me or does this sound like they used Sleeping Beauty as the basis for this story?

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
Ah, false alarm, she made a rhyme afterall. All is well.

On an unrelated note, does anyone happen to have a clue how threatening people in verse compares to the usual method? I'm curious now.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
The creators clearly have the hearts and minds of children... which they ripped from said victims still warm bodies.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I did thought that ending was kind of bittersweet and the last character recruitment quest was quite dark at the end.
Her father died just when they were somewhat reunited and while she did saved her citizens by transporting them into the fairy tale world via the mirror but the nation/ county itself is lost in the process. In saying so when I wiki Lemuria, it's a possbile lost continment.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
You gotta watch out for those red haired child muggers who speak in rhyme. I hear they're all over the place in London.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Awesome comic. I like the game. Still playing it, among other things. Hard to keep focused on one game for me. rar

xGrimReaperzZ

Dec 8, 2013
At least the last sentence rhymed...

In all seriousness though, really cool comic, but i gotta admit, the bad rhyming and writing made the game unplayable for me.

I would've kept playing if the combat was good enough, but it's a hit or miss, i guess.

soulfire130

Jun 15, 2010
HEY! Don't you dare call human skin masks creepy.They are awesome. You just don't know real art. >Xp

On topic, I never played the game. It sounds interesting.