Critical Miss: Conan the Barbarian

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
haha at Erin's face xD. Also love the use of 'The Quote'. I'm not sure Conan is something that can be carried off seriously in this day and age but we will see.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
I remember wathcing the first conan movie. Maybe I should go get the 2nd one.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'm not usually a fan of these, but that was actually kinda funny.

I think a Conan movie could work, just not an Arnie type one...the original stories were very different, like a watered down Lovecraft with more muscles and less clothes.

K4RN4GE911

Apr 27, 2010
NLS said:
NO GOD!! No God please no, NO!! No!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO-!! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc]

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Susan Arendt said:
NLS said:
No. No, no, no. No. Assuming you mean Conan the Destroyer, just....no.
What? Watching Conan the Destroyer is perfect for putting people in an accepting frame of mind for the new movie.

But I doubt the new movie will have anyone half as good at pulling a "I'm shitting a razorblade" face as Mako.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
thaluikhain said:
I think a Conan movie could work, just not an Arnie type one...the original stories were very different, like a watered down Lovecraft with more muscles and less clothes.
Not remarkable the similarities since Lovecraft and Robert E Howard were friends who undoubtedly had a major influence on each other.

From the stories I've read it'd be hard to describe anything about the Conan stories as 'watered down' after all, there was far too much pulp in them...

---

The films were something different to the stories but they were both (there I said it) wonderfully silly - something which I am sure will not be replicated by this new, eye shadow wearing incarnation.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
my predictions are they will fail, Conan books rock hard, the film will not. AOC was pretty decent but funcom are fail and pretty much did nothing to it, they pretty much ruined the IP.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Heh, I've got a better one.

To the people in charge of the new Conan movie:

Money pleases you guys, so in order to get mine, grant me one request, grant me a good movie. And if you do not listen, then to hell with you.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
I didnt give a crap about Conan until recently when I decided to give him a chance and read the entire collection of Conan stories by Robert E Howard now im actually looking forward to the film in a way (even though I know its not going to touch the original tales for quality).

I would also like to see a decent offline (or online but free) Conan game because that universe has a such a rich scope for history and while not quite in the same league as Tolkien it would make a nice change.

joeman098

Jun 18, 2007
dimensional said:
I would also like to see a decent offline (or online but free) Conan game because that universe has a such a rich scope for history and while not quite in the same league as Tolkien it would make a nice change.
didnt age of conan go free to play?

Operations

Mar 11, 2009
dimensional said:
Age of Conan went free to play recently http://www.ageofconan.com/playfree

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
To be honest Im psyched about the new one, the ones with Arnie were just pants.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Operations said:
dimensional said:
Age of Conan went free to play recently http://www.ageofconan.com/playfree
really? ok cheers for the heads up I will check it out as long as my crappy pc can run it.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
NLS said:
Isn't that the one where Conan fights the mirror monster? if so DO,... NOT,... SEE,... IT seriously, my lord is that one bad. Conan in the first film (played by Arnie) had to good sense to keep his mouth closed for a good amount of it (seriously, he doesn't speak all that much in that movie) however in the sequel, he won't shut up, he as a plucky (read annoying) side kick and... and... its just awful.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Sovvolf said:
Susan Arendt said:
NLS said:
Isn't that the one where Conan fights the mirror monster? if so DO,... NOT,... SEE,... IT seriously, my lord is that one bad. Conan in the first film (played by Arnie) had to good sense to keep his mouth closed for a good amount of it (seriously, he doesn't speak all that much in that movie) however in the sequel, he won't shut up, he as a plucky (read annoying) side kick and... and... its just awful.
Truth. When Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is one of the leads in the film, you know it's not going to be good.

That said, it does, at least, have some decent eye candy. It's pretty to look at in places.