Critical Miss: Gamer Science

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Yup, this is exactly how gamers see the world. Anything negative about gaming must be BS, while anything positive must be factual truth. Conclusion: gamers are just as irrational, illogical, fanatical, and close-minded as anyone else, if not more so.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
My issue is with the scientists that say games will turn ordinary people into murderers and rapists, not the scientists who say that people with pre-existing mental conditions may be more likely to do such things, that's pretty damned obvious. To be fair though, it's the same of any medium, if you're a nut job and you watch a gory horror movie you're probably gonna get as many ideas from that as you would a gory horror game.

martyrdrebel27 said:
personally speaking, i think if i never had a game to come home to and slaughter legions of soldiers, or zombies, or cops, or... whatever i'm choosing to de-life that day, i most likely would've looked for that same satisfaction IRL. but, knowing that i DID have that optional, consequence-free outlet for my anger at my peers and elders, i chose that nearly every time. humans had war and violence and murder and rape and pillaging and destruction and genocide and justin bieber and all the other bad things in life WAAAY before tv's and videogames were around. this may be hard for some people to accept, but at the end of the day, we're all just ultra-violent war machines looking for a reason to push the button.
The way that's written makes me wonder if you once went on a murderous rampage but don't normally do so.

Feb 13, 2008
So...half of you think this comic is totally the truth, and half of you think it's total rubbish...

Is anyone else reminded of Inception?

loodmoney

Apr 25, 2011
I love this comic. I love it even more when it validates my opinion!
Kakashi on crack said:
Lol, basically

There's a happy medium, I just think neither scientific "side" of the arguement wants to look for it.

BTW: Most Stealth Bombers have at one point in their life played a video game with a joystick. Proof that video games can have a practical application ^^
I think the happy medium in this case would be, "Games cause violence and laser vision".

Serious answer: take both sides seriously. Try to find flaws in all studies, question there methods, try to resolve the conflicting conclusions they draw. Most importantly, think about what it would mean if one side was right. Violent games cause violence? Time to make less violent games!

It could even be a good thing, if it gets us past the whole brown and grey (space) marine/soldier phase we're in.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
BUT MY LASER VISION!? IT WAS A LIE!?

I've said this before, but I got flamed into the ground. You guys are braver than me.

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
I think it's about the research that's done. The ones linking games to violence is more made in psychology, which is mostly non-science. The ones linking games to enhanced memory and learning is in neurobiology, which is actually science based. I'm more biased though since I'm in the biology field.

Lichman

Nov 10, 2010
I thought all sorts of violence tends to make people more indifferent to more violence since you've been exposed to a small amount of it, giving you a foundation to take more in. It's like all emotions, they tend to build on itself and makes it easier to keep feeling that emotion.

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Too true. Gamers are so quick to try to discredit or dismiss studies that come out in some way against their hobby, but herald pro-game studies as the truth. You can't have it both ways, guys.
That's because the American Psychological Association has called BS on Anti-Gamer studies and refuses to take any of them seriously. When the highest authority in someone's profession says they're full of shit, I don't think I can take them seriously anymore.

onikaze26

Oct 9, 2009
lol sadly true in most cases, mind you it kind of even the score, most people ignore the studies saying the other side, it just means that people aren't unbiased. I don't really think those studies are BS, its just early years stuff, if parents would do their damned job and pay attention to what their kids are playing (its not that hard, all you have to do is look at the box) then they wouldn't be exposed to it until they are grounded adults and it wouldn't have an effect. But nobody likes to think about being responsible for your own action so its those damned murder simulators.

sorry, rant completed, I'm done now :)