Critical Miss: God Emperor of Steam #1

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
Scarim Coral said:
They should know better not to disturb a man from eating his KFC meal. Also Erin must be frail or he was super strong to impale her hand with the KFC plastic fork.
Actually if you look at pannel 2 closely you will see that he actually impales her hand with a Spork, an even more amazing feat.
Well spotted, good sir!
And now I'm even more sorry for her... Seriously, a spork trough the hand hurts like hell. Can't even imagine. Seems like they'll be having trouble handling Gabe.
Really looking forward to the next one.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
wooty said:
Hahaha, very satirical this week, very witty....as if Gabe Newell could move that quickly
I rarely REALLY laugh out loud at things I see on the internet but this week got a chuckle from me.

Given Gabe's bulk though I think they probably should have used The Kingpin who is a character who is that side and moves that quick as well.

Ozzy is cool, but I'd still think Gabe's lair would be more king-pin like. But it was still a brilliant choice, and not by strip.

Sadly we won't be able to see other Valve employees make apperances as Marvel knock-down villains (Hammerhead, Rhino, etc...). :)

But then again The Kingpin typically loses, and well... Ozy doesn't.

Now we need to wonder who is going to play the role of Dr. Manhatten in #2. :)

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Fenring said:
Everyone knows God Emperors are supposed to be half sandworm! What is this?!

The spinning KFC was pretty funny.
So... it fits.

And yeah, the spinning KFC bucket was pretty awesome.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Awesome!

I'm reading Watchmen right now, too, and it looks like you guys nearly copy-pasta'd the few action panels. Dialogue too.

And normally I'd hate that...but it just makes it all the more awesome!

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
So. Much. Watchmen. Even in the line at the bottom!

Good job. I like it so far. And I'm sure you've made a lot of fans happy by finally ending this arc (or at least starting to, I see you '#1').

And although KFC ain't that bad, I'm a Popeye's man myself. The Kentucky taste is no match for the Cajun goodness that is Popeye's chicken. Plus the biscuits are worlds better.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
They should know better not to disturb a man from eating his KFC meal. Also Erin must be frail or he was super strong to impale her hand with the KFC plastic fork.
It was a spork.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Ah, I see we're continuing with the Watchmen Parody.

(Doing my best Jeremy Irons impression, a la Lion King) Oh, goody.

Jawsomeness

Jul 27, 2010
"Gabe... when did you plan to do all of this?"
"Do It?"
" I released Episode 3 Thirty Five Minutes Ago."

NoDamnNames

Feb 25, 2009
Fenring said:
Everyone knows God Emperors are supposed to be half sandworm! What is this?!

The spinning KFC was pretty funny.
I thought the exact same thing clicking into this thread!

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Valve, Dune, Watchmen, Slowbro... All in one comic. Nerd overload! The KFC is just the icing on the cake.
I think I may actually have experienced a nerdgasm over this

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
A plastic spork would sting alright. Especially if it was somehow jammed into your hand. I mean it's teeth are tiny so in order to stick your hand to the table it's got to really get in there.

Grimsinger

Apr 9, 2008
The art on these just keeps getting better and better. However I do have a question, On the fourth panel, is Erin dodging or being hit? The motion of Gabe is very clear and was obviously carefully planned and executed, but given the degree of Erin's twist, I would say she was dodging. On closer inspection, I have concluded that she was struck, which is all well and good, but if i could offer some suggestions....

First I applaud you on your lack of sound effects, as I feel they are rather overused, but in its current state, the reader might be unsure of what happened. If you grasp the edge of a table (to simulate being pinned there with a sport), you can actually get a lot of twist before you have to move your hand, so perhaps more spin is whats needed. Either way, I just though I'd stop in and give you my thoughts, I love the comic, and the art is honestly, impressive looking at where it came from. Keep up the good work guys, lord knows I'll be back for more laughs.