Critical Miss: Skyrim Tales

Mailman

Jan 25, 2010
My current character is a light armor sword and shield expert. He starts battle by sneak shooting folks with arrows.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Jandau said:
Well, yeah, it is possible to corner yourself, or at least make your life harder at some point. The question you should ask yourself is "How can my skills benefit me when out in the world". You leveled Smithing? You should be able to craft awesome gear and then upgrade it to insane levels, giving you an edge in combat. You leveled Alchemy? Shouldn't you be chugging potions that boost all your stats and damage while giving you every resistance imaginable? You leveled Speech and Pickpocketing? Shouldn't you be using all the money you make with those skills on better items, better spells or simply training in combat skills?

Make use of all your talents, even the non-combat ones.
This is genius, it truly is. Still gonna worry more about my heavy armor, block, one hand, and smithing more than anything. Throw in enchanting too because I love me some magicka.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I've taken to the tactic that I simply fire arrows into draugr I suspect will pop out of their catacombs and 9 times out of 10 kill them before they have a chance to pounce on me \o/

You can tell which ones will and won't because of the models they use :)

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
I'm workin' on my 2nd guy, a Nord warrior. And I'm investing in some smithing. And I just walked into some ancient Nord burial mount last night at level 9, somewhere north of Whiterun. After getting a ceremonial sword and axe I opened up the door to go farther. Killed off 2 undead until I come to a fairly big chamber filled with undead and a ghost. One of the undead Nords summons an ice giant and the ghost just smashes through me.
I gave it like 3 tries before running away with my armor a clanking and vowing revenge.

And damn that dragon for killing my horse. Fight me on the ground you coward.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Didn't they take out athletics and acrobatics? If so, THIS IS WHY THEY SHOULD HAVE LEFT IT IN.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
God I remember running into those things at an extremely low level, like level 10-15?

Luckily I already had 75 or Smithing or so at that point, so it was no problem. I kind of regret that decision though, it sort of broke the game. It's even more broken now with having 100 Enchanting and Smithing with a daedric set that I enhanced with a full +Smithing enchant set and a 50% Smithing potion. Everything is a joke on master now, only things that were somewhat hard were mages so I enchanted magic resist and that was that. What's even funnier is I could break it even more with the enchanting, alchemy loop and more points invested in alchemy.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zenn3k said:
Game is much better if your ignore the crafting skills completely.
That's not how roleplaying works! D:

Speaking of, is it possible to equip a shield-and-spell with no weapon? If so, I know what I'm doing when I get the game.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Triple damage with my enchanted Daedric bow while they try to stave off staggering long enough to find and shout at me, good times...

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Zenn3k said:

Speaking of, is it possible to equip a shield-and-spell with no weapon? If so, I know what I'm doing when I get the game.
Yeeep, you can do that, you can also equip a one-handed weapon and a spell, two different spells or two of the same spell to double-up it's potency, and I guess the shield-related perks are allright, the shield-bash can actually be relatively potent if you get the perks for it.

Can't equip two shields though. :(

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Marohen said:
I find alchemy is -sorta- useful, but only in regards to potions that buff your blacksmithing and enchanting, and you can find/buy those potions which do that job well enough.
Heh.
I see you've never been a master alchemist.
Buy potions that does the job?
I challenge you to buy a potion that raises smithing by 120%.
It can easily turn that dragon's fire breath that normally kills you in 2 seconds flat on master difficulty into a warm breeze that can't even damage you enough to beat your buffed up health regeneration.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
leviadragon99 said:
lacktheknack said:
Zenn3k said:

Yeeep, you can do that, you can also equip a one-handed weapon and a spell, two different spells or two of the same spell to double-up it's potency, and I guess the shield-related perks are allright, the shield-bash can actually be relatively potent if you get the perks for it.

Daw. At least I can shield-spell! I was a bit ticked at Oblivion because the drawing of "Sorcerer" was a mage in heavy armor with a big shield and no weapon, but the game wouldn't actually let me do that. Thanks, Bethesda! :D

Marohen

Jun 30, 2009
Denamic said:
Marohen said:
I find alchemy is -sorta- useful, but only in regards to potions that buff your blacksmithing and enchanting, and you can find/buy those potions which do that job well enough.
Heh.
I see you've never been a master alchemist.
Buy potions that does the job?
I challenge you to buy a potion that raises smithing by 120%.
It can easily turn that dragon's fire breath that normally kills you in 2 seconds flat on master difficulty into a warm breeze that can't even damage you enough to beat your buffed up health regeneration.
Yeah, I figured they'd get that powerful, especially once you grab hold of powerful alchemy-buffing enchanted gear.

Even so, I'm not sure one would be able to invest wholly in it, along with blacksmithing and Enchanting, and have enough perks to have decent combat skills before hitting level 50--although I hear there isn't a hard level cap.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
lacktheknack said:
leviadragon99 said:
lacktheknack said:
Zenn3k said:

Daw. At least I can shield-spell! I was a bit ticked at Oblivion because the drawing of "Sorcerer" was a mage in heavy armor with a big shield and no weapon, but the game wouldn't actually let me do that. Thanks, Bethesda! :D
Is Rob gonna head straight to Skyrim once he's done with Daggerfall? Stay away from Windhelm if he does, bunch of Dunmer-haters there after they fled Morrowind when Vvardenfel erupted.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
CaspianRoach said:
I got 1400 armor in Dragonscale Light armor set thanks to 250 blacksmithing, 125 enchanting and 170 light armor.
Sadly less than half of that will count thanks to the 500~ armour point cap.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Aethren said:
lacktheknack said:
leviadragon99 said:
lacktheknack said:
Zenn3k said:

Is Rob gonna head straight to Skyrim once he's done with Daggerfall? Stay away from Windhelm if he does, bunch of Dunmer-haters there after they fled Morrowind when Vvardenfel erupted.
There's an idea! He'll revive soon (really!), and I'll actually consider this. :D

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Speaking of restoration, Skyrim thus has minion-generating resurrection along with dragons, but can you RESURRECT/RESTORE A DRAGON? If you can have a dragon (or another big, elemental monster) to help you out in Skyrim, I'm convinced to get the game. After all, I've loved zombie army making since Guild Wars and can't wait to make dozens of people ETHICAL in Saints Row The Third with infinite octo-puss-es.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
SoopaSte123 said:
No matter what my goal at the start, I always end up with a similar character: some weapon skill, some armor skill, smithing, restoration. The farthest I've strayed is an assassin character, so that just replaces restoration with sneak haha. But since combat is always my goal, I've never encountered your Deadly Draugr scenario.

Did anyone ever take perks in speech or lockpicking or pickpocket? I've found all those perks to be useless (and the pickpocket skill itself).
No points in speech, lockpicking or pickpocket - and I'm playing a rogue character. Go figure.

To be honest, it would just have felt like a complete waste of good points had I sunk them into lockpicking or pickpocket. I could pick locks and pick pockets very well, and I enjoyed the skeleton key for a bit too long and I used and abused that particular stone for a while.

I put a lot of points into one-handed (100/crit, multi, sword tech), blacksmithing (100/everything), enchanting (100/dual), destruction and conjuration magic. Blacksmithing allows to make armour and weapons so very much more efficient, and it's fun. Enchantments help tweak the whole set of gear (armour/weapons) towards a specific purpose.

I never really got the point of alchemy much. Yes, I do enjoy making health potions, but spending points on it didn't seem too tempting. Loot the stuff or buy in a pinch. Using poisons on blades was rather underwhelming, I still believe one posion bottle pretty much only lasts one arrow or one hit with the blade. I tried re-applying poisons to my (main hand) blade after every attack, but it was so immersion-breaking I basically skipped that part and made myself forget I ever tried it.