Critical Miss: Space Marine

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I'd liked this strip and the explanation underneath. The former was funny and the latter was informative and true. People will use any excuse to complain sometimes.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
A comic strip and a bit of commentary? Reminds me of Shamus Young... how I miss his presence here.

I welcome the insightful reading. Procure more digital text for me to consume, Mr Carter.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Why are they saying "baw" when they are clearly angry? Isn't "baw" supposed to be used to express sadness? The text doesn't match the artwork -_-

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
The problem with the XCOM game is that it's being called XCOM. The Marketing guys wanted a built-in fanbase, but they miscalculated how the fanbase would react.

As for the grey-brown phenomenon, I think we're approaching a point were we want something less depressing out of our games visually.

Given how the industry works though several games would have to fail hard before they start rethinking gaming trends.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I laughed. Really hard. I dont know why.

I think its because of how much i loved Space Marine.
In an age where games are AAA titles, full of people screaming for you to do things, indie titles where everything has a strange art style, or a generic ripoff of the last successful game to hit the shelves.....

A completely average game is a good change of pace. :) The audio is what really stood out for me though. In the multiplayer, the sounds of war echo loudly through the halls. The explosive power of the lascannon, the revving of blood thirsty chainsaw, the rhythmic pounding of heavy steel boots against a rubble covered floor..... Its a feast for the ears.

Another thing alot of people overlook are the smallest details that makes the game better. Rounds from the Bolters, Plasma bursts from the rifles, and grenades bouncing across the floor are all fit for each side. You can tell where the fire is coming from, and which side is clearly launching it. The bright yellow of space marine rounds crossing your vision as the Possessed purple rounds of Chaos explode against the cover you and your team are behind.

Space Marine is a Brown and Grey shooter full of Space Marines (literally in this case), and to be honest, i wouldnt want this game any other way.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Mr Thin said:
A comic strip and a bit of commentary? Reminds me of Shamus Young... how I miss his presence here.

I welcome the insightful reading. Procure more digital text for me to consume, Mr Carter.
I was thinking the same thing. I thought I was reading Shamus's work for a second there and had to snap myself out of it.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Whilst I agree with sayign Space Marine is just average (solid good fun but undeniably workmanlike) I really dont agree with saying its desaturated- the main character is in bright blue armour for one.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Frankly, the fact you are one big murderous piece of cover, that gets up and thunders at the foe weilding a big hammer very muck unlike a piece of cover makes this game worthwhile. Shame the campaign is only 8 hours long and the multiplayer only has 4 maps. Cmon THQ bring some more content out.

dantoddd

Sep 18, 2009
Space marine was not meant to be some amazing genre defining game. It's game where you play a giant walking tank dressed in blue. And lets face it, for all his purported badassness marcus felix spends an inordinate amount of time shooting from behind a waist high wall. But with titus you get the real deal. The only way titus can be more badass is if his power armor was pink.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Grey Carter said:
It's great for people like me, who thrive on unjust mockery of people's hard work
No wonder you like Mock the week. In the way merchandising, can we have critical miss sniper scopes?

Apr 28, 2008
dogstile said:
Mr Thin said:

I was thinking the same thing. I thought I was reading Shamus's work for a second there and had to snap myself out of it.
Indeed. I can't wait until he finishes his book so he can get back here. Well, and so I can read that book.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Its only been out a while and I'm fed up of hearing about it. Already got a friend who thinks its "the best game ever".......but then again he is a gamesworkshop shut in, so his opinion on this matter doesnt count.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Its only been out a while and I'm fed up of hearing about it. Already got a friend who thinks its "the best game ever".......but then again he is a gamesworkshop shut in, so his opinion on this matter doesnt count.