Critical Miss: The GameChurch

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
Jesus would be with the people, all of them. He'd not be sat with the Christians in church. I mean he makes the point in the Bible. He says he didn't come to be with the righteous, he came to be with the faithless. He wasn't a big fan of authority and had a less than subtle habit of pissing of pharisees and the like. I can't imagine he'd find modern organised religion any better. We'd soon find out what was right and wrong though. The moment he picked up a controller you'd be able to tell all those self righteous book thumpers that video games were not inherently evil and you can bet he'd enjoy some alcohol with his games. In moderation of course.

Oh yeah @Azure: Change? Sir you've evidently not heard the one about the lightbulb...

How many Christians does it take to change a lightbulb?

Change? CHANGE?! We don't do change.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wow, that's epic! But in the icon Jésus doesn't seem that into the game...
Also, if Jésus is a gamer, his respawn lag is ridiculous...

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I'd respond with my usual answer to being invited to religious events or gatherings. "No thanks I don't want to join your cult."

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Lullabye said:
No im not letting this thread go without this image.
That.... is awesome, makes me want to go to church again, at least now I wouldn't be bored.

Nerdstar

Apr 29, 2011
as long as were on the subject of gamer jesues. and the pic that tsaba just pbrought up i figure id thow my hat in the ring.

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
These guy's seem alright. No overzealous forcing of it onto people, just good natured drinking and gaming and hey, if you want to accept Jesus into your life then so be it. I'll stick to Atheism though.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Though I'm (I suppose) agnostic myself i have to hand it to these people for putting a new spin on religion for the gaming generation and making religion a bit less stuffy.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Landis963 said:
What are the six levels of irony there? Let us count the ways.
1. Jesus playing videogames
2. A Theme park mascot playing videogames
3. Jesus as a theme park mascot
4. A church condoning videogames
5. Said church condoning Dead Rising
6. And the doozy, Said jesus-Theme-park-mascot playing Dead Rising 2 with a hilariously awkward partner.

Any others I missed?
The game is called "Dead Rising" and Jesus raises from the dead in the bible.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
So wow, this actually sounds like a cool thing.
They're preaching, sure, but they're being chill about it. Kicking back with some games, having some drinks. Being laid-back people. And the message behind it is nice too, that Jesus isn't some scornful ************.

This is more Christ-like than how the various churches go about it. I'm not really Christian or anything, but more power to 'em.

millertime059

Jan 7, 2011
Landis963 said:
What are the six levels of irony there? Let us count the ways.
1. Jesus playing videogames
2. A Theme park mascot playing videogames
3. Jesus as a theme park mascot
4. A church condoning videogames
5. Said church condoning Dead Rising
6. And the doozy, Said jesus-Theme-park-mascot playing Dead Rising 2 with a hilariously awkward partner.

Any others I missed?
Depends on where you live, and your particular branch of the Christian church. In the South and Midwest of the US alcohol is a major no-no for many (most?) churches. That said most people in my generation who attended such churches ignored it regardless. Even my current church, which doesn't take that stupid stance, has a large contingent of the older generation who still don't approve. Whatever, it's a mindset that should die in the next couple of decades.

Basically beer + Jesus = major WTF for some religious types.

Rorigon

Apr 14, 2011
Wow, I have to hand it to them, they actually made Christianity palatable. Good on them.

Reverend Del said:
Jesus would be with the people, all of them. He'd not be sat with the Christians in church. I mean he makes the point in the Bible. He says he didn't come to be with the righteous, he came to be with the faithless. He wasn't a big fan of authority and had a less than subtle habit of pissing of pharisees and the like.
This is what I've never understood about Christianity. To pull out Ghandi's quote, "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

It just seems like he'd look at what these people have done to his message, using it to spread hatred and divisiveness, and shake his head. Bronies are probably better at spreading love and toleration than your average Christian church.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Tsaba said:
It's official people
I...WANT...THAT..HANGING ..ON MY WALL.

[HEADING=2]*sheds tears of joy*[/HEADING]

Grey Carter said:
Critical Miss: The GameChurch

Like ten thousand spoons ...

Read Full Article
You my kind sir have made my day.
I seriously need to find this mystical organization of pure, win and acceptance
Hallelujah! My god has no trouble with me playing Devil May Cry!!!

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I don't really see any reason why Jesus'd be against games, anyway.

I mean, I'd imagine that heaven would have some pretty top-of-the-line electronics up there, surely.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, considering that my godfather is very religious and he's a gamer (when he finds time for it, as he has a family and a pretty heavy job), I wouldn't be too surprised at seeing Him pwning some noobs and yelling "POW headshot!" over the mic.