The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Critical Miss: Top Five Games of 2012 #1

Five days. Five of 2012's best games.

Read Full Article

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
I have no idea what I'm missing...and can't tell if this is a clever troll to get me to try some obscure indy game or just an outright troll. Either way, I'm thoroughly confused here.

Bolt-206

Dec 6, 2010
I'd probably be likely to disagree with the honourable mentions, 'cause I'm not sure how Skullgirls got there.
Sure it's a indie good game, also being the fighting game I've enjoyed playing the most, but that Final Boss doesn't feel like it was designed right; Bosses should be an equal challenge for every and all characters you can play, but as it stands some characters have it as a cake walk (like Peacock) and for others it can a nightmare due to limitations (Cerebella can't use throws against her, has no ranged attack, and her lvl 3 'blockbuster' does equal to chip damage when it should hit like a truck).

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
Huh. All I could think of while looking over that comic was...

"Dude. It was a sucky year to be a black guy in videogames."

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
SOMEBODY'S, SOMEBODY'S LITTLE GIRL!
DREEEEEEEAMS OF THE THINGS SHE'S READ;
OF THE MONSTERS IN HER BED! WHO HAAAAAACKED HERRRRRRRRRRRRR!

...What? 'Interprets the law as aging with its eyesight failing' is a lyric from the Dissentience, and I lurv me some Protest the Hero. Canadian prog metal is surprisingly well-rounded.

It's a good song, okay?

OT: I enjoyed these comics. I don't know why, but the prominent swirl pattern that served as the thumbprint made me chuckle every time I saw it. I'll admit, though, I've never heard of this Thomas Was Alone game, so now I'll have to look into that.

I thought the list was pretty good, though I really don't agree with Mark of the Ninja. Maybe I was expecting too much because of all the praise it's getting, but as good a game as it was, I wouldn't have put it in my top 5 for the year. That's my only hang-up, though. The rest of the list was agreeable enough.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
I have to say, the one part that made gave me feels in Borderlands 2 was
the death of Bloodwing.

Also, I have to agree with this, excellent choice.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
ShirowShirow said:
Huh. All I could think of while looking over that comic was...

"Dude. It was a sucky year to be a black guy in videogames."
Yes.

OP: While I appreciate the irony in your honorable mentions, I am curious as to whether or not Skulgirls was a part of that irony, and why/why not.

I'm interested in the game, but there's no PC release yet.

And now this is the excuse I needed to play Thomas Was Alone.

Khundes

Mar 25, 2011
Yay disagreeing!

Crusader Kings 2 should have at least received an honorable mention. Grand Strategy with excellent longevity, tons of role-playing options that make the game personal and a fully organic environment that changes as you play along in interesting ways.

A shame about the godawful tutorials making the game hard to actually figure out though. But oh so rewarding once you start to actually play.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
Well your honorable mentions seem somehwat sarcastic for a few of the entries...

Mass Effect 3's excellent ending? Really? REALLY?
War Z? yeah yeah yeah.....riiiiiiiiight.....

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
you know spoiler warnings arent all that great if you don't know what game they are for...*sigh*

EDIT: and ME3 its probably the most emotional I'll EVER get over a piece of fiction...the good and bad parts

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Bolt-206 said:
I'd probably be likely to disagree with the honourable mentions, 'cause I'm not sure how Skullgirls got there.
rhizhim said:
Honorable Mentions:
The War Z
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
I notice that "Mass Effect 3's Excellent Ending" is also on the honourable mentions list. Which makes me suspect there may be a fair amount of joking going on.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Vault101 said:
you know spoiler warnings arent all that great if you don't know what game they are for...*sigh*

EDIT: and ME3 its probably the most emotional I'll EVER get over a piece of fiction...the good and bad parts
Yeah, I mean... are we only meant to read on past the spoiler warning if we've played every game in the last year?

Also, I can't tell if "Mass Effect 3's Excellent Ending" is a joke or not. Not that I think it should be or anything, I just can't tell if Grey is trying to say "FUCK YOU I LIKED IT!" or "FUCK YOU IT SUCKED!"

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I really hope people take the "Mass Effect 3's Excellent Ending" comment seriously. The rage will be delicious.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Vault101 said:

Ah you must be a Vulcan then or least Sheldon Cooper.