Critical Miss: Top Five Games of 2012 #1

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Mass Effect 3's Excellent Ending
The War Z
Heheheh, oh Grey, you so funneh!

Borderlands 2 did give me a few sharpe digs in the feels, really surprised me. Those echo recordings of Tina's parents... shit got real.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Scorched_Cascade said:
Laura Shigihara man... the sheer range of dem feels... happiness, sadness, nostagia, hope, pure animal lust! Shes amazing at what she does.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Oh boy, first Jim with 'Last Survivor' and now this. I'm going to have to go out and find whoever's vending this (hopefully steam) and play it to see what the fuss is about. I had taken note of it before, but I don't like platforming or minimalist graphics, so I passed. It is painfully obvious however that mainstream games are not at the point to really make me care. It irks me when the 17-thousandth 'Which games made you cry' is dominated by Aeris dies and try as I might I could hardly muster a moistening of the eyes at that scene.

No game has ever made me cry. I don't think I'm alone in this either, I don't believe gamers are a bunch of hardened people.

I do not however agree that 2 'games' which are essentially visual novels are top-ranking tear-jerkers. If you're going to laud their achievements why don't we just go right ahead and start reading The Color Purple or any other literary work from the past century.

Ideally I'd like to have a choice in the matter, as was a major complaint in a slightly different vector for Spec Ops. Simply having something out of your control happen is akin to crying at pictures of stray cats in Afghanistan.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Thomas was Alone was good, but it wasn't game of the year good. It fools you by being pretentious and out of the ordinary, but when it comes right down to it the story and characters are actually pretty shallow, and everything else was pretty generic. Certainly great by indie standards, but really nothing all that special overall.

P.S. Thanks

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Covarr said:
Thomas was Alone was good, but it wasn't game of the year good. It fools you by being pretentious and out of the ordinary, but when it comes right down to it the story and characters are actually pretty shallow, and everything else was pretty generic. Certainly great by indie standards, but really nothing all that special overall.

P.S. Thanks
What was pretentious about it? I liked it because it wasn't pretentious, it just told an interesting story in a nice way and then left it at that. It didn't have a really ridiculous and weird epilogue like Braid, and it didn't leave an ambiguous ending like Limbo just for the sake of it.

Captcha: cup cake. So sweet and tastey.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Interesting choice, I enjoyed Thomas Was Alone, I never though I could care so much about coloured blocks.

Capitano Segnaposto said:
Grey Carter said:
Critical Miss: Top Five Games of 2012 #1

Five days. Five of 2012's best games.

Read Full Article
Wait, so you didn't cry or tear up at "To The Moon"? You people really are heartless banshies! (j/k)
If there is someone who didn't cry at To The Moon that is a person with no soul. Even I cried at that game and I've been said as having a swinging brick for a heart :p

Mass Effect 3's Excellent Ending
War Z
Oh you guys.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
*opened post*
*read the Spoiler warning in big text*
*figured it meant the Mass Effect 3 ending clearly visible right underneath it*
*scrolled down to see the punchline*
*got The Walking Dead spoiled*

*sad bunny*

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
If those honourable mentions are supposed to be a joke (and I hope so, just for the sake of The War Z) then I'm sad to see Dust: An Elysian Tail is also a part of the put-downs. I loved that game.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Myeeeeeeehhhh.

Sure, the narrative is interesting. But that's all the game really has going for it, unless you really dig puzzle-platformers.

I dunno, I guess I prefer a narrative punch to be delivered with as little obstruction from the gameplay as possible, if it's going to be delivered at all, and that's something puzzle games can't really capitalize on. It's part of the reason why while I liked Spec Ops: The Line, I'm not going to put it on any pedestals, because especially in the later sections the gameplay started actively detracting from the strength of the narrative.

The thorough snubbing of Journey makes me question my reality, though.

Dondonalien44

Dec 10, 2009
Admit it, you just put this one in the top slot so you could type the sentence "2012's most rounded game character was a rectangle" :p
I now feel obligated to play it due to your endorsement. I'd heard good things, but none this positive.
You guys wanna clarify how much of your Honorable Mentions we're supposed to take seriously?
Because you're on the record for a few of them, but I was wondering what your opinions are on Zero Escape (beyond "This shit is bananas!") and Skullgirls (one of my favorite fighters in a long time).