Critical Miss: Top Five Games of 2012 #1

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Falsename said:
I don't care what you did or didn't like... You write (bad) comics. Just focus on them, not your likes and dislikes because your opinion is as varied and opinionated as anyone. Are you a reviewer legitimately?

Sorry but these comics are pretty terrible. Wasn't there like a moment where some blonde guy was hanging the main character out a window or something then we just kind of.... moved on?

Retire, please.
You didn't see how that resolved?

I'd say "stop reading this comic, please" as a rebuttal to your ridiculous assertion that they should retire, but it appears you mostly already have.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
It's no troll, this is a great game, and everything he said was spot on.

Okay, some of the Honorable Mentions were trolls.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Rainboq said:
I have to say, the one part that made gave me feels in Borderlands 2 was
the death of Bloodwing.

Also, I have to agree with this, excellent choice.
That part hit me especially hard when I got to it, since I had just lost my own pet bird around the same time. Needless to say I wanted to tear Jack apart.

OT: I never even heard of this game, I'll have to remember to look into it.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Zhukov said:
I... I think I might have to hate you for all eternity on account of that second "myeeeh".
I'm sorry but this. Totally this! UNFORGIGABLBLE!!

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Rainboq said:
I have to say, the one part that made gave me feels in Borderlands 2 was
the death of Bloodwing.

Also, I have to agree with this, excellent choice.
No! Nonononono.

Angel's death was more feels-y, just because of Jack's reaction. He suddenly became human for a bit :(

scienceguy8

Sep 1, 2008
Sam17 said:
What's the third game in the comic?
BehattedWanderer said:
What is the third meh from? I don't recognize it.
Borderlands 2

After killing the daughter of enemy Handsome Jack (don't worry, she wanted to die), Roland, leader of the Crimson Raiders (the only good guys on Pandora) is shot and killed by Jack. This part can be a little emotional, as all thorough the battle with the guard robots Handsome Jack will appear on monitors in the chamber, at first to threaten the Vault Hunter (you), and later to plead with you and his daughter to stop. Of course, since the man is by nature a manipulator, his pleas are supposed to fall on deaf ears.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
Great that just about summed up all the things that weren't okay this year in just a few panels

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Oh god. Yep. I only played Thomas Was Alone recently and when I went to review it for my stupid-ass videogame blog all I could think was THIS IS A MONUMENTAL ACHIEVEMENT IN STORYTELLING. In a year defined by such things... you're pretty right in saying it is, as far as short-form stories go, the best one. Plus the gameplay is supported by the plot which is supported by the gameplay, instead of one or the other taking precedence. That's important, and a lot of games with great stories just completely forgot about that.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
1) Tybalt Leftpaw from Guild Wars 2. One of the most charismatic, entertaining personalities that I've come across in a video game. And, when he died, I shed more than a few tears. That was far better than some blocks. This is especially how cute he was when he transformed into a princess and kept talking about his "apples".

2) The War Z as honorable mention? Are you trying to purposely draw out an audience/flamebait here? That's go to be the single biggest rip-off game than those of Zynga that they actually rip off other companies. It's a giant cash in with very little to offer and a scam to it's customers.

eternal-chaplain

Mar 17, 2010
It reminds me of something Don Hertzfeldt said a while back, about how you could create a romance between a red square ad a blue circle, and if you did it right, there wouldn't be a dry eye in the house.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Depending on how kind you're feeling, Thomas Was Alone is either a testament to gaming's storytelling potential, or a grim reminder of how far the mainstream games industry is from reaching that potential.
I'm all for the grim part.

Lucky me I'm in my backlog enjoying games of yesteryear, fairly literally, so most of the 2012 year of sucking out loud has passed me by. I've dabbled in things, deeply subfusc things, and for some darned reason Mass Effect 3 is just not thrilling me at all. I'm not excited, or moved, I'm just kind of underwhelmed, and found my groove in Civilization Revolution again (I like board games).

On the bright side, being behind gives me more filters through which I may better sift the more choice turds from the less offensive ones. Episodic games tend to slip under my radar, usually because I remember that games like SiN and Half Life are proof it's a bad format, and Stephen King's reflection on The Green Mile makes it truly evident as to how it really is about getting away with slipping more fingers in the up consumer's asses and looking like a hero. Maybe Telltale is on to something, maybe The Walking Dead is good stuff not meant to feel like rectally invading digits, and maybe I'll give it a closer look considering the accolades it's received so far now that it's going to be available as a meal rather than as a trickle of overpriced sustenance delivered through a needle thin IV line.

Either way I wish Gandhi would stop declaring war on me.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Man, I'm glad this made someone's Top 10 list. It's a very interesting and imaginative platformer - about blocks. BLOCKS. It brings games and narrative back to basics, and uses aesthetics as well as game feel back to basics.

Wasn't on my top 10 list, but I think I need to revisit it.

Certainly wasn't expecting that.

Thanks for that though! Gives us all something to think about.

Edit: no one is on you for

Mass Effect 3's Excellent Ending
?

lancar said:
*opened post*
*read the Spoiler warning in big text*
*figured it meant the Mass Effect 3 ending clearly visible right underneath it*
*scrolled down to see the punchline*
*got The Walking Dead spoiled*

*sad bunny*
Walking Dead wasn't spoiled. Clem holds a gun and gets blood on her several times in the course of the game. That doesn't spoil ANYthing.

Sejborg

Jun 7, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Sejborg said:
"Myeh"? Don't you mean "meh"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJGuSeidtew
There was a time before the Simpsons where people actually had different ways of saying essentially the same thing.

It was a scary time when memes were much harder to spread and people didn't just post "this" to express their opinions.
Looks like somebody's living in the past... Contemporise man!

Bindal

May 14, 2012
doggie015 said:
Honorable Mentions:
The War Z
Unless you meant to include a DIShonorable section then I fail to see how the scam z made by banhammerpoint scammeractive with a metascore of 23 and userscore of 1.3 fits into this list...
Probably because of the entertaining non-game aspect of it. Mostly the news. :p

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
shadowmagus said:
I have no idea what I'm missing...and can't tell if this is a clever troll to get me to try some obscure indy game or just an outright troll. Either way, I'm thoroughly confused here.
Same here man, I have never EVER heard of this game until now. Seriously at least the beginning of the original ending of ME3 had some emotional moments, and COMPLETELY dismissing The Walking Dead's ending assuming you went through the whole thing getting attached to the character of Clementine is just mind-boggling to me. I was damn near to tears by those last moments.

Namechangeday

Aug 13, 2012
I think I know what all the honourable mentions have in common:
they've all been mentioned this year in Critical Miss.
I could be wrong.

anyways, I'll remember to get this game once I have money to spend.