Critical Miss: Top Five Games of 2012 #1

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I might be pretty late to the party here but I can not be the only one that noticed he drew a great big chode with rectangles there in the second last panel, can I?

OT: I don't think The Walking Dead deserved a myeh but opinions, I guess. As much as the TV show made me grind my teeth, the game was actually pretty good. Not 10/10 amazing like people make it out to be but I give it at least an 8/10 for making me give a damn about the characters.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
deathbydeath said:
ShirowShirow said:
Huh. All I could think of while looking over that comic was...

"Dude. It was a sucky year to be a black guy in videogames."
Yes.

OP: While I appreciate the irony in your honorable mentions, I am curious as to whether or not Skulgirls was a part of that irony, and why/why not.

I'm interested in the game, but there's no PC release yet.

And now this is the excuse I needed to play Thomas Was Alone.
Im not normally on the whole pc train but I agree. I mean if I was black I wouldnt do that whole "Gaming hates gays,blacks,women thing that people do but Id prolly think. "Sure would be nice to have a cool black protagonist every now and then."

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
I enjoyed all 5 comic strips, even though I barely know a few of those games(FTL, Xcom). Favorite part was the "GENIUS". Made me laugh every time.

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
Frankly, this sounds to me as the "edgy indie" choice for the sake of being "edgy and indie". I'm getting very tired with the whole narrative thing that is being tried to be pushed constantly in the medium. I mean, it's a puzzle platformer, that it has a very nice written narrative added to it just means that the writer could write a book, it doesn't make it the best game EVAR. I'm sure as game it is fun and enjoyable, I'm a sucker for that type of gameplay, but I'm sure if it was called "block adventures" and didn't have the "deep narrative" nobody would have given half a damn about it and if the same narrative add been tacked on any other crappier indie game it would be getting this same "praise" right now.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
I find it interesting how some people complain about TWD getting 'undeserved praise' and then turn around and praise this game using almost the exact same words.

Meh, it doesn't seem very intriguing to me, certainly not enough to motivate me to buy it. Opinions be I guess.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
hmm
It seems odd.. and maybe I've missed a comment in the past where you voiced out that you hated the game, but there is no mention of Journey? or is this just PC?

As far as narrative, Thomas was alone was very entertaining and smart, but I thought it was rather, blunt when it came to delivering metaphors, but the gameplay I felt, didn't bring forward anything as interesting. On the other side, I believe Journey did a far better job at conveying the complete range of emotions, narrating a subtle story and exploring multiplayer in a completely different light. It really showed the potential that the medium could deliver, in an extremely approachable way.

But well... seems you didn't look at it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Piecewise said:
Honorable mention list:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Skullgirls
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Primordia
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Spelunky
Gravity Rush
Mass Effect 3's Excellent Ending
The War Z

Not sure how much of this is a joke and how much is real...because xcom is there but so is The War Z and ME 3.
I think the last nomination is simply a sign that Grey is reading his responses. :)

As far as ME3 goes, it's been a while but I think Grey was firmly on the side of EA/Bioware on that one. That said I think he's just having fun as he specifies "the excellent ending" knowing the response it will get. Truthfully most people agree that it was a pretty good game up until the ending, including it's tacked on, monetized, co-op multiplayer.

Looking at his "honorable mention" list closely, I think it's in of itself a giant joke, starting out with likely nominees but then descending into WTF territory to the point of utter ridiculousness, ending with "The War Z" which I Loled at for personal reasons. :)

If you consider the strips we've seen, we've gotten one going off about Paradoxes which seemed to be largely aimed at "Virtue's Last Reward" as well as similar games. The overall impression I got was that The Critical Miss Team liked it overall but that was mitigated by a few things I won't go into, but the strip should give you the general idea. If you consider that a pretty "average" release in their eyes in comparison to a few games that they mentioned really liking but didn't make it, and then look at the games under it... you can see 4 really good games above it, and 4 games of mediocre quality (for one reason or another) at best below it, I haven't played "Gravity Rush" or "Spelunky" but I'm guessing they were probably not all that wonderful. "The Walking Dead", "Analogue", and others games mentioned well not being here says a lot.

That's probably overanalyzing things though.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Delcast said:
hmm
It seems odd.. and maybe I've missed a comment in the past where you voiced out that you hated the game, but there is no mention of Journey? or is this just PC?

As far as narrative, Thomas was alone was very entertaining and smart, but I thought it was rather, blunt when it came to delivering metaphors, but the gameplay I felt, didn't bring forward anything as interesting. On the other side, I believe Journey did a far better job at conveying the complete range of emotions, narrating a subtle story and exploring multiplayer in a completely different light. It really showed the potential that the medium could deliver, in an extremely approachable way.

But well... seems you didn't look at it.
I did, didn't really care for it. Aesthetically lush, but I didn't find it particularly intellectually stimulating.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
While I'm sure the choice is genuine, Grey, I'm pretty damn sure some percentage of that brief review is pure trolling. Especially with the inclusion and wording of the last two entries in the honorable mention list.

Also this:
Zhukov said:
I... I think I might have to hate you for all eternity on account of that second "myeeeh".
Grey, you are Hal 9000 level of cold, unfeeling emotionlessness.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
SonOfMethuselah said:
SOMEBODY'S, SOMEBODY'S LITTLE GIRL!
DREEEEEEEAMS OF THE THINGS SHE'S READ;
OF THE MONSTERS IN HER BED! WHO HAAAAAACKED HERRRRRRRRRRRRR!
INTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BLOOOODDDMEEEEEEEEEEEAT!

New album due later this year, fuck yeah!

OT:

I disagree that Telltale was necessarily outwritten, not that the block's plight wasn't moving.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
MetalMagpie said:
Soooooo, is Thomas Was Alone basically 2012's Braid?

Either way, I think I'll give this one a miss. It's probably fun, but your description really puts me off due to the above comparison. The text sections in Braid were pretty hilarious to start with (especially reading them out loud to my boyfriend) but got tiresome really quickly. I enjoyed the actual game more once I stopped reading them.

WanderingFool said:
Okay, knowing how this webcomic typically is, so is Thomas was Alone really like that?
It has a metascore of 77 (whatever that means to you) and appears to be a narrative-driven platformer. So yeah, this comic is probably not ironic.
well I played thomas was alone about 1-4 am after seeing 10min of gameplay on youtube and not being able to sleep, the text parts are only 1-3 lines long and happen about every 5-10 levels apart form that the games story is told by narration. The story is also very simple its really just wanting to know what happens to the characters, the puzzle plat forming is also at very good quality. So if you worried about reading blocks of texts in order to enjoy the game don't, go play it.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Huh. I'm pretty sure this is meant to be ironic, but Poe's Law has me wondering if this isn't actual trolling.