Critical Miss: Top Five Games of 2012 #3

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Hm...from all the comments of this thread, and the comic itself, I´m guessing this FTL game is pretty fun. I should get it, as well. It`s 10 euros on Steam at the moment, but I`ll be looking out for a sale. Tight on cash, and all that.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
I HAAAAATE THIS GAME!!! REALLY I DO!!! *200 jumps later* DAMN IT!!! I HAAAAATE THIS GAME!!! Why do I keep doing this to my self? *2 hours later* F*CK YOU CLOAKING END BOSS! THIS GAME IS SUCH BS! Maybe if I went with a pike beam next time......*100 jumps later* DAMN IT!!

Typical play session. I am sure that the people who made FTL soaked the code is Cocaine and Heroin.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
My strategy is to (hopefully) meet slavers, attack them, then get them to send me one of their slaves. It makes for a highly adaptable crew.
(Fire event? Send a Rock! Slug ship hailing? Get your own for a psychic battle! Slugs saying "Or systems are malfunctioning, send help!"? Send in the Mantis and plaster the walls with their goo!)

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Love this game, though I haven't unlocked very much.

Although for a sequel, I'd like an exploration/trade/sandbox mode where you just fly around etc... maybe with less scrap to not make progression too fast. Being chased only lasts so long and turning it off with mods is kinda cheating.
Would also like ground missions where you send your crew down to a planet to explore/whatever or where your job is to capture a giant enemy warship (with several floors, not just one).
I'd also like if there were more options to the energy management system. Maybe a battery cell consumable/upgrade that gives you 1 or so energy more for 60 seconds or so... and maybe the ability to supercharge your shields or weapons at the cost of shutting down another system (nearly) completely. I loved the energy and shield systems in those old space sims... freespace and some others, don't remember the names.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I have never even seen the final boss I only managed to make it to the fifth sector I think.
One thing I did learn always buy the airlock upgrade quickly you?re going to need it if fire ever starts spreading.

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
I roll like pirates. You board and you kill, then strip the ship. The more mantis, the better, though rock are good at holding the fort down. Once I unlocked the mantis cruiser...ah...so sweet.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I have 103 total playthroughs and 73 hours logged in steam. only have won 12 times, one of which was on normal (my crowning achievement!) I REALLY want more of this and wish there was more content to the game. I have unlocked almost all ships and their alternate layouts (I lack the mystery cruiser and the mantis cruiser.)

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Fappy said:
The alien kind of reminds me of Zorak [http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/360277/Zorak.jpg]!

I don't think I'd have the patience for FTL in all honesty.
And once I finally buy this game, I will forever name any mantis crew member I start with Zorak.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This is how I felt about Liquid's plan in the first Metal Gear Solid. He needs Snake in order to complete his plan, but he needs to kill Snake so he doesn't interfere with his plan. Brilliant plan, guy.

P.S. Thanks

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Also, as far as systems go in my playthroughs, Damage evasion>weapons systems>life support>subsystems in the upgrade paths. For repairs in case shit happens, medbay>>>>>doors>Shields>controls>engines>O2>weapons>most anything else. I cannot count the times that having a repaired medbay has saved my ass. Everything else can be destroyed completely and the medbay is the key to defense.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
rofltehcat said:
Love this game, though I haven't unlocked very much.

Although for a sequel, I'd like an exploration/trade/sandbox mode where you just fly around etc... maybe with less scrap to not make progression too fast. Being chased only lasts so long and turning it off with mods is kinda cheating.
Would also like ground missions where you send your crew down to a planet to explore/whatever or where your job is to capture a giant enemy warship (with several floors, not just one).
I'd also like if there were more options to the energy management system. Maybe a battery cell consumable/upgrade that gives you 1 or so energy more for 60 seconds or so... and maybe the ability to supercharge your shields or weapons at the cost of shutting down another system (nearly) completely. I loved the energy and shield systems in those old space sims... freespace and some others, don't remember the names.
Those ideas are more or less what I want to see out of the game, but when you consider that this was a first installment made by 2 people and cost $5-10 then it's easy to forgive... and set your expectations higher for any sequel!

I sunk about 28 hours into the game, beating it a few times on easy and normal. Kind of annoyed that after all that time I only unlocked 2 new ships and my 3 alternate designs.

If I can give some quick advice for beating the game on normal though, play on easy to unlock the type-B layout of the Kestrel. This guy starts the game with 4 simple lasers, which through the first few sectors is usually good enough to wipe out the enemies weapon systems on the first volley. This let's you breeze through the beginning racking up money for upgrades rather than spending on ship repair and missile/drone stock, as well as stockpile missile/drone parts for the latter stages and/or final boss. It also makes for an easy upgrade path, as you wait to find a mark I/II laser or Hull breach 1, then with a single upgrade to weapons system + energy you can add +1/2 shots to your volley. The original Kestrel's design of 3 laser shots plus 1 missile isn't as effect because they take longer to fire, the timing's off, and missiles are a limited resource.

For a few tips to beating the last boss, I'll put in spoilers:

1. The saving grace against the last boss is that the weapon systems are isolated rooms with only one crew member. Kill that crew member and damage the system, and it's out of the game for this round. Plus the crew member doesn't come back for rounds 2 and 3. This can easily be done by teleporting 2 of your crew members in for attack, a multiple missile volley - remember to keep it up until their crew member's did, or using teleport weapons like the fire bomb - 2 of these works to disable one room. Obviously the first weapon you want to take out is the missile launcher, which is middle left.

2. A cloaking system is pretty much vital. You use it in round 1 to dodge the first volley of missiles (after which they should be disabled), and in rounds 2 and 3 to dodge the super weapon attacks when the danger warning flashes on screen. One vital bit of information though, it's kind of a design flaw in the game but for the last boss you need to keep the cloak system at level 1!. Level 2 and 3 add an extra 10 seconds of cloaking each, but what you want here is the right timing to dodge one attack. If you use the level 2 or level 3 cloak to dodge a super weapon, those extra 10-20 seconds of cloaking means it won't be charged in for the bosses next volley. Keep it at level 1 and it will be ready to dodge each time.

That's more or less what got me through it.

Now back to the frustration element, was the biggest source of frustration for anyone else how the auto-fire option doesn't turn back on when you save and quit? A couple times I was having a solid game, saved it and came back later, but got crippled in a fight because while multitasking my crew I didn't immediately notice my weapons stopped firing because you always have to turn that damn option back on.

Also, is it ever a good idea to send in assistance against giant spiders? There's one ship upgrade/part that gives you a blue option, but I've only ever lost crew members on this event. Same thing with bringing the crazy guy back to your ship.
[/spoiler]

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
uchytjes said:
Everything else can be destroyed completely and the medbay is the key to defense.
Medbay is the second key to beating intruders, really. You still need to maintain the shield and weaponry section of your ship in order to beat the enemy ship, all the while battling intruders. Maxing doors is slightly more important than medbay, because suffocating the enemy, while they're unable to get through your ship efficiently, makes it much easier to beat them when they finally do get through. If you're clever, you can route them to the medbay and beat them easily after they're near-death due to lack of oxygen.

Last boss is a pain in the ass if you're unprepared, but having your own cloak and some guys to infiltrate the ship is a life saver. The weapon sections are completely cut off from the rest of the ship, meaning that you can transport your characters to those sections at any time, overpower the single human enemy there and break its weapons one by one, all the while spamming cloak and keeping your shields up (augmentations help). Disabling rockets first is key, as those go through shields.

Of course, having a good ship really helps. I had a Noether (zoltan B) with cloak and pre-igniter, which is pretty goddamn deadly if you can find a good weapon such as the burst II for it (of which I found two). Most ships never made it through my defenses.

RandV80 said:
Now back to the frustration element, was the biggest source of frustration for anyone else how the auto-fire option doesn't turn back on when you save and quit? A couple times I was having a solid game, saved it and came back later, but got crippled in a fight because while multitasking my crew I didn't immediately notice my weapons stopped firing because you always have to turn that damn option back on.

Also, is it ever a good idea to send in assistance against giant spiders? There's one ship upgrade/part that gives you a blue option, but I've only ever lost crew members on this event. Same thing with bringing the crazy guy back to your ship.
Yeah, that was a bit annoying, but I did have a Zoltan B, so at most I'd only lose one or two bars of my extra 5-bar shield, so it was never a problem. I eventually learned to check my weapons every time before battle.

Medbay upgrades do sometimes give you a blue option and you should always use it when available. If they're asking for help against giant spiders and you have no blue option available, NEVER try to help. You should only provide assistance against spiders if you do have a blue option available, because otherwise you're practically just throwing a team member away. Crazy guys, when used the blue option, always become peaceful and join my team. It is really recommended to upgrade your medbay to at least lvl 2 asap. Same with blast doors.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Steam says I have played around 40 hours of ftl. I haven only beat the boss 2 times, both on easy. I can usually get through stage 1, but after that I pray I have all the right upgrades for my ship. I do love this game though.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
an annoyed writer said:
Fappy said:
The alien kind of reminds me of Zorak [http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/360277/Zorak.jpg]!

I don't think I'd have the patience for FTL in all honesty.
Holy shit you're right!

And now I find myself missing The Brak Show and Space Ghost again... sigh.
Yeah, those were great shows. We wouldn't have [adult swim] without 'em. I think Yahtzee briefly (even for the speed he talks at) mentioned FTL in his new video today.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
SpaceBat said:
uchytjes said:
Everything else can be destroyed completely and the medbay is the key to defense.
Medbay is the second key to beating intruders, really. You still need to maintain the shield and weaponry section of your ship in order to beat the enemy ship, all the while battling intruders. Maxing doors is slightly more important than medbay, because suffocating the enemy, while they're unable to get through your ship efficiently, makes it much easier to beat them when they finally do get through. If you're clever, you can route them to the medbay and beat them easily after they're near-death due to lack of oxygen.

Last boss is a pain in the ass if you're unprepared, but having your own cloak and some guys to infiltrate the ship is a life saver. The weapon sections are completely cut off from the rest of the ship, meaning that you can transport your characters to those sections at any time, overpower the single human enemy there and break its weapons one by one, all the while spamming cloak and keeping your shields up (augmentations help). Disabling rockets first is key, as those go through shields.

Of course, having a good ship really helps. I had a Noether (zoltan B) with cloak and pre-igniter, which is pretty goddamn deadly if you can find a good weapon such as the burst II for it (of which I found two). Most ships never made it through my defenses.
My deadliest ship is usually something along the line of a Engi cruiser: layout A. I aim to upgrade shields followed by engine/weapons if they need. The perfect weapons combination is 2 ion-blast 2s, a glaive beam, an anti-ship 2 drone, a defense 1 drone, and a hull Repair drone. I don't even use the damage causing weapons most of the time. If I can I will always try to take out an enemy's oxygen and take the ship intact to get a scrap bonus. If I can find an augment store, I always aim for a scrap recovery arm or two (they stack), a drone recovery arm, and the shield recharger augment. That ship can take out anything and come out without a scratch.

Also, I was saying that you should always repair your medbay first. I rarely ever upgrade it past lv1 until the last few sectors.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
I'm still waiting for my perfect space game. Mass Effect style space exploration overworld that lets me control my little ship around the galaxy/universe, and be able to land on planets and build a huge number of allies for an oncoming invasion of aliens who have long had tensions with your part of the universe. Then when they come its like turn-based strategy, fighting them solar system by solar system for control over key planets in huge Star Wars: Battlefront (or Section 8: Prejudice) style battles while still getting to visit systems and planets to buy upgrades and do side missions.

But it'll never happen, because nowadays when people make a space game their vision is limited to "twin-stick shooter" or "linear-ish action game that punishes you for going off the beaten path" and ALWAYS with "it's gonna be a hard, unforgiving game"

EDIT: I should point out that I've had my fill of unforgiving games with Dead Rising 1 and Terraria and Runescape. I'm too busy and high strung to put up with games that aren't simple enough to casually enjoy like Saints Row, Spec Ops: The Line, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Fallout (only 3 and NV), and nostalgia games like Starcraft and Warcraft 3.

Borderlands 2 pushes it, but luckily on PC my friends can give me extremely powerful high-level e-tech guns and equipment that always puts me on par with the enemies as opposed to the one or five steps behind them that the developer seems to have intended.