Critical Miss: Y Ddraig Cach

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Y Ddraig Cach

In which our protagonist's terrible secret is revealed.

Read Full Article

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
UK
Although I'm living in Wales I found this stripe to be very funny!

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
...Is this actually a real thing that is happening?

I lived in Wales for 3 years and from that experience it is clear that the Welsh have no interest in being part of the Union Jack (or even the UK) the flag is never seen. As English people we are forced to use the 'British' flag because our beloved cross of St George has a nationalist stigma attached to it.

Wales is worse than Canada, they are self governed with their own budget and funds but also get tax money from England (we dont see any of theirs). and they have representatives on our parlaiment to help decide how we spend our money but English members cannot sit on the Welsh parliament (to decide how they spend our money).

I am so glad to have moved to the US. with all its problems at least we doint have to deal with this idiotic system. /rant

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
To be honest I never thought about Wales like that and wasn't aware that anyone did. Besides the sheep jokes, of course.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
crotalidian said:
Wales is worse than Canada, they are self governed with their own budget and funds but also get tax money from England (we dont see any of theirs). and they have representatives on our parlaiment to help decide how we spend our money but English members cannot sit on the Welsh parliament (to decide how they spend our money).

I am so glad to have moved to the US. with all its problems at least we doint have to deal with this idiotic system. /rant
I think you're thinking of the Scottish.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Hmm don't really get the anti Welsh, nor as a Canadian, the anti-Canadian in this strip. A bit offensive really. Why don't you go back to making strips about gaming?

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Lukeje said:
crotalidian said:

Not in this case but the situation is the same with the Scottish... They already have their colours on the Union Jack though so no real argument there

Scobie

Good Leader. Best Friend.
Mar 16, 2009
Note to self: find excuse to use the phrase "limp-wristed dragon of mediocrity" in conversation.

The_Decoy

Nov 22, 2009
Hehehe, I enjoyed that, not sure my girlfriend will (her being welsh and all).

And is there actually any plans to put a dragon on the flag? I can see some committee deciding the welsh want this...

Also, can it just say "Fuck Yeah" without the England part? I'd actually quite like that :)

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Haha that was good.

Oh those silly Welsh and their limp-wristed dragon of mediocrity... I shall have to find an excuse to say that to my welsh flatmate :D

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
lolz Englande

Keith K said:
I fail to see how Wales and Canada are comparable.
We've got sheep humper problems, local law enforcement does what it can, but its not looking so good for farmers.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I always found it funny how the English attitude towards the Welsh is everywhere else in Britain's attitude towards the English.

standokan

May 28, 2009
I never even heard about the welsh people before this strip but that doesn't make it less funny.

i am not god

Dec 6, 2007
Pretty much true of how we think of Wales over here, good way of expressing it to. It totally is our Canada.

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, I never really thought that Britain and England and United Kingdom were actually different things.

I will have to read about that, there are things one must know!

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I don't see the problem with the [font color="blue"]We[/font]st Eng[font color="blue"]l[/font]i[font color="blue"]sh[/font]. Sure their language is incomprehensible, but it's a nice little country.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
I might print this out and put it on my bedroom door. If I don't get beaten up it should brighten up my time in the colony somewhat.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
crotalidian said:

The US has had that system longer than anyone. It's called federalism. It's pretty much a necessity for large, continent-spanning nations, which is why we Canadians and the Australians, among others, also adopted it.

But from what you're implying, England is the only part of the UK without separate regional government. Sounds like that's the real issue.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
I was born in Wales and this strip receives my seal of approval.

Just a warning though, Batman and Hannibal Lecter were both born in Wales... (well the actors were :p) Do you really wanna piss those two off?

Although i'd be awesome to see them team up!

Apr 28, 2008
Hey now, thats not true. Canada gives us Maple Syrup and LoadingReadyRun. So they do contribute to the world.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i had to google union jack, i thought he was talking about the comic, which sounded awesome.

but i get it, it would be like someone putting the horrible colours of *sweden* into my beloved dannebrog.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Dublin Solo said:
As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, I never really thought that Britain and England and United Kingdom were actually different things.

England is, obviously, England.
Britain is England, Scotland and Wales.
The United Kingdom is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

That said, the last two is fairly interchangeable.
Falseprophet said:
But from what you're implying, England is the only part of the UK without separate regional government. Sounds like that's the real issue.
That is probably correct.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Let's remember, they aren't a complete waste. They are where the Doctor does most of his filming.

There we go, easy answer for everyone, let's just call it "Doctoropolis".

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
icyneesan said:
lolz Englande

Keith K said:
We've got sheep humper problems, local law enforcement does what it can, but its not looking so good for farmers.
In Manitoba, maybe, where there's nothing else to do. The rest of us can occupy ourselves just fine.

Strip was kinda funny and kinda "...enhhh?"

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Nice use of getting crap past the censors. For those who don't know any welsh cach is shit and haliwr is wanker :p

edit: the title is In Dragon Shit

ThePirateMan

Jul 15, 2009
Irridium said:
Hey now, thats not true. Canada gives us Maple Syrup and LoadingReadyRun. So they do contribute to the world.
Wales gave us David Mitchell. So they contribute to the world too.

I think he's part Welsh, atleast.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Hey! Don't insult Canada, they gave us Bioware, VGcats (the webcomic) and Wolverine.

Before any welshmen declare a vendetta against me, I'm joking.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
crotalidian said:

I lived in Wales for 3 years and from that experience it is clear that the Welsh have no interest in being part of the Union Jack (or even the UK) the flag is never seen. As English people we are forced to use the 'British' flag because our beloved cross of St George has a nationalist stigma attached to it.

How did you move to the US? Tell me your secrets! I'm English, currently going to university in Wales and I just can't stand the UK as a whole. I'm hoping to move to Canada after university. How did you make it happen?

OT: Great strip, loved it. Wales in never ever mentioned in anything American. I don't think most Americans know about Wales, actually... lucky them

Dr_Pie

Aug 11, 2009
Wales born and bred. This mockery will not stand!

I shall see you tonight, but you shan't see me.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Canadians are polite........

Falseprophet said:
crotalidian said:

The US has had that system longer than anyone. It's called federalism. It's pretty much a necessity for large, continent-spanning nations, which is why we Canadians and the Australians, among others, also adopted it.

Wales gets just under £1000 per person more form central government than England, Scotland gets nearly £1300 more. Ok there issues to do with the cost of providing public services in areas of Wales and Scotland that make it more expensive. However most of the money is wasted on stupid grandiose projects by regional governments that have less votes than the mayor of London. The welsh tv channel costs £100 million of tax payers money a year but only 20% of programmes got more than 10000 viewers.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
Do you smell wild fire cause Canada just got burrrrrrrrrrned (whales too, but I'm not sure if they got a enough trees to have a wild fire, Ive heard its very bare land)

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
There was a welsh guy shouting at my friend over COD, my friend shut him up when he said Wales was just a DLC for England xD

Dr_Pie

Aug 11, 2009
zombie711 said:
Do you smell wild fire cause Canada just got burrrrrrrrrrned (whales too, but I'm not sure if they got a enough trees to have a wild fire, Ive heard its very bare land)
No h in Wales. And we have a fucktonne of trees.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Good stuff. The Canada part made this strip go from good to great. haha

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
Haha, Erin's Canadian.

I just watched Scott Pilgram vs the World, it was refreshing to see a Canuck kick a follow Yankee's cocky ass.

"The only thing Yankees hate more than anyone else are each other." -some joke I heard.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Aw, Canada ain't that bad. I mean sure we Americans will joke about them being "the 51st state", but they're nice neighbors. They don't go around causing trouble and they're very good friends. Plus they make up a huge percentage of trade with the US. So high five Canada!

As for the Welsh, that's what you get England for taking them over and controlling them for all those years. Same with Ireland and Scotland. You want a United Kingdom, you're gonna have to put up with the rest of the bunch.
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Nice use of getting crap past the censors. For those who don't know any welsh cach is shit and haliwr is wanker :p

Ah, figured that some of those words were Welsh.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Although I don't or ever lived in Wales, I still found this stripe very offensive!

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
The English guy that looks like regular English me has my agreement all the way up until "Our Canada" - I fucking love Canada.

SoldieroFortune

Apr 1, 2009
Wuvlycuddles said:
I was born in Wales and this strip receives my seal of approval.

Just a warning though, Batman and Hannibal Lecter were both born in Wales... (well the actors were :p) Do you really wanna piss those two off?

Although i'd be awesome to see them team up!
Not to mention Gimli ...

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Brilliant strip!! Thank ye gods for the River Dee, says I!! - (also the Mersey, but we're ragging on the Welsh today, not the scousers...!)

Scarim Coral said:
Don't worry.... we don't think any less of you for admitting that...! ;O)

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Hopefully non-inflammatory opinions below.

Wales has a better anthem than England (sorry, Mae Hen Wlad fy Nhadau is just loads cooler than God Save the Queen). Much like Canada has a much better one than the US (or the rest of the whole world, come to that).

Wales also has a second language with heavy government subsidies which definitely sounds neater than English (pats the nearby "Teach Yourself Welsh" book), which partially corresponds to Canada (though whether English or French-Canadian sound better is definitely a matter of taste).

However, Welsh football definitely isn't as good as English (sorry, Ryan Giggs). While Canadian football blows away the American variety in every way imaginable.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
crotalidian said:

I think you're getting Wales mixed up with Scotland. It's true that Wales has it's own Parliament, however, they have pretty much the same rules and laws as England and indeed seem to be nothing more than a few extra counties, united under the banner of 'Wales'. Fine, in North Wales they tend to be slightly Anglophobic and speak the native language more, and so on, but mostly Wales is pretty friendly towards England (that whole 'rivalry' thing is mainly stereotype, unless it's sports-related in which case it becomes deadly serious). And I should know, I live in England yet have spent a lot of time in Wales for various reasons.

And I have no idea where you get this idea that we see none of the taxes from Wales, because we do, it all gets paid to the same government. No, Scotland are the ones who really take advantage and effectively govern themselves. They have completely different systems for everything, especially education, and it's them who take money from us without giving us anything in return. Personally, I'd be happy for Scotland to either rejoin the UK proper and pay taxes to London, and disband their own Parliament, or just secede completely and become their own country (like Ireland) and have their own economy instead of sponging off us. Of course, that's hardly likely to happen though, is it...?

As for the comic, it was pretty good, and interesting to get even a tiny glimpse of Erin's backstory (Canadian, you say? Oh dear... :p). And anything with English characters is automatically made awesome, because England is the best country in the world!!!!!

SoldieroFortune

Apr 1, 2009
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:

Actually, I believe the title is "The Dragon Shit." It is a play on Y Ddraig Coch, which means "The Red Dragon" (i.e. the symbol on Wales's flag.)

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
It can't be our Canada, I like Canada.

Wales, on the other hand, is second only to London on the list of places I... wouldn't miss if they were to stop existing.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
crotalidian said:
Lukeje said:
crotalidian said:

Not in this case but the situation is the same with the Scottish... They already have their colours on the Union Jack though so no real argument there
You can have your tax money back, we'll just keep our oil k?

I kid I kid, I don't really care about all this stuff. Good strip, why did Erin say hey at the end? 2 parter?

Numbnuts

Feb 6, 2009
And of course I skip the conversation and the first thing I notice is World 5-18 Dark World of Super Meat Boy on the TV...

Oh yeah, and the face in the last panel is awesome.

Rainboq

Nov 19, 2009
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
Irridium said:
Hey now, thats not true. Canada gives us Maple Syrup and LoadingReadyRun.
And justin bieber... Maple syrup and LoadingReadyRun dont make up for the existence of that...thing.
What about Ubisoft Montreal?

They made Assassins Creed!

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
SoldieroFortune said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:

Actually, I believe the title is "The Dragon Shit." It is a play on Y Ddraig Coch, which means "The Red Dragon" (i.e. the symbol on Wales's flag.)
/facepalm. That was a rather silly mistake on my part. But then of course what with descriptors coming last in welsh dragon and shit should be swapped around also making it "the shit dragon" Haven't had to speak or read welsh very often in ages so mistake is to be expected.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
erbkaiser said:
I don't see the problem with the [font color="blue"]We[/font]st Eng[font color="blue"]l[/font]i[font color="blue"]sh[/font]. Sure their language is incomprehensible, but it's a nice little country.
I actually worked in a holliday park there for a while. It's a beautiful country with an absolutely beautiful language (protip: Tolkien actually based his Elvish languages on Welsh) with a lot of history.

dmcc85

Feb 18, 2010
she is so cute in second picture...
i will never memorize the names of this cartoon..... (arg)

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
As a born and bred and proud Welshman who speaks the great Welsh language, I find this strip really...offens-nah, I actually find it funny. :)

Apart from one or two Welsh politicians, no-one in Wales, including myself, wants the Welsh Dragon on the Union Jack. No point.

P.S. The title of this strip says 'The Shit Dragon'.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Critical Miss: Y Ddraig Cach

In which our protagonist's terrible secret is revealed.

Read Full Article

Now before you get offended. I actually quite like the Welsh. I find the dreadful manner they're presented in films like Lord of the Rings to be totally heavy handed and unacceptable.

On a serious note; In case you didn't get it, the strip is actually making fun of the English (because God knows we don't do that enough) and their bizarre relationship with the rest of the island. As someone pointed out, every nation on the British Isles hates each other, hates England collectively (even England hates England) and only collaborates when we come across the French (whom we hate) or the Americans (whom we also hate)
Hey where did you get that family photo of the trip to NZ? Those were some fun times :p

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
For all my fellow Englishers out there. The title of the strip was originally going to be 'Y ddraig llwy' but I figured the reference might be a little obscure.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Irridium said:
And strapping young lad, and protest the hero, and Dinosaur comics.

Wales gave us...

Um, bullet for my valentine.

Way to go, ya jerks. :p

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
This topic has actually annoyed me when I read it else where, The mail had a report about this that made my skin crawl.

I can't say I or anyone i really know wants or massively cares about the Ddraig being on the Union jack, most of the people who do are the Plaid Cymru arseholes who no one apart from the people trying not to seem racist takes seriously anyway.

I'm not basing this off the comic since, well its a Comic, but the news papers reports of "THE WELSH WANT" is just more of the usual stuff the British 'Press' keep pumping out to try and keep the 'Them Vs Us' thing going on, how often do you see the FAR more popular version of this which usually contains the word 'MUSLIMS', which only leads to people thinking we all think like this.

Just to clear something up Yes, S4C is utter shit, no one watches it, even people who speak welsh, all of the shows are awful and have no production value what's so ever, the only slightly useful program (Welsh football) could be better done on the red button or on-line. Yes small towns and councils getting massive cash hand outs is irritating, esp when most English councils are struggling and even if you keep it inside of Wales places like Newport and The Pembrokeshire cost national park need the money more. The welsh languish at least has history and can be learned quite easily, And compared to English, which basicly what would happen if you took every other language in the world, and fired it out of a cannon. Yes Charlotte Church comes from here, and yes we're sorry. Yes the signs being in Welsh and English is also a waste of time, No one only speaks welsh any more and if that is the case they can Piss off and learn English like the rest of us. The Pembrokeshire national Park is by far one of the most beautiful places in Britain so its defiantly not an eye saw, We import the vast majority of our sheep into England, so if we do molest them it seems its catching on. No really, sorry about Church, We have no excuses there, but we do ask you apologise for Westwood while were doing this. Yes we all hate the "ll" 'letter' as well, how can then mean Thhhhh, STOP BEING SILLY.

And a Few more things. No one really hates the English that much, growing up mind i did hate the majority of your tourists mind, you seemed to send all of your drunk, violent chavs over here so you can have the weekend off. Oh and If your American and come here please don't do a God damn Dick Van Dyke accent when trying to insult us.. That doesn't even make sense in London anymore never mind Haverfordwest.

Oh and in jokey retort, yeah we are the Canada of The UK, We have lower crime in most places, no awful new Fees hike and a far better standard of life then the *word* next door. So HA.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Dammit. The first panel made me think of this [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/65/UNION_JACK_1.jpg] until I realized that I was yet again listening to another rant from Shaun Hastings from Assassin's Creed.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
Grey Carter said:
For all my fellow Englishers out there. The title of the strip was originally going to be 'Y ddraig llwy' but I figured the reference might be a little obscure.

snip
You also gain 30 Points for the credits reference.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The last three strips were amazing.

"A Stigma..A scourge...They are...Our Canada.." Brilliant!

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
The Real Sandman said:
.___.

Do I have to be knowledgeable about... something?

Because I don't get it.

Help please?
Count me in as well, I didn't get this joke at all personaly... D:

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Why does this comic strip remind me of a whole phone rage from Desert Bus for Hope in which i asked a Person on the phone (seriously no idea who it was) and i asked the person "Is Wales even a country anymore" and they went on some rage about it so Kathleen changed topic XD

But seriously Wales to England is what New Zealand is to Australia, they are kinda just....there

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:

hahaha!! Brilliant :D I thought I recognised cach as it's very similar to the word in Irish... not totally sure of the spelling, though, it sounds very similar.

Ah, the old English people hating the Welsh thing... Not sure I quite see what's so bad, but then again I assume the English masses think Wales is basically Little Britain and Gavin and Stacey.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Grey Carter said:

Clangers and the Soup Dragon? I love you.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
Grey Carter said:

YES!

Also you get 30 points for the Credits reference.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
I would urge England to keep identifying with the Americans at every corner. Mabye if you fight enough of their wars, and adopt enough of their bad habits, you can also have an epic economic failure and alienate yourselves from the rest of the world.

And Wales! Feel free to come by for some free fresh water, food, oil and money. We have plenty here in Canada.

Love,

Winnipeg.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
I humbly apologize to all offended welsh escapists....cause i Lol'd at the punchline.

Also, isn't the Escapist Canadian? or atleast the LRR crew? Who else wants to see a welsh LRR short?

Dec 14, 2009
WingedFortress said:
I would urge England to keep identifying with the Americans at every corner. Mabye if you fight enough of their wars, and adopt enough of their bad habits, you can also have an epic economic failure and alienate yourselves from the rest of the world.

And Wales! Feel free to come by for some free fresh water, food, oil and money. We have plenty here in Canada.

Love,

Winnipeg.
Bah! We were hating on the rest of the world when America was still a twinkle in the eye!

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
Lord_Panzer said:
icyneesan said:
lolz Englande

Keith K said:
In Manitoba, maybe, where there's nothing else to do. The rest of us can occupy ourselves just fine.

Theres plenty to do in manitoba... if you like snow hockey and the cold(and the forks)
There is also a lot of welsh in manitoba...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The Canadian equivalent: "They are... Our Quebec!"
Or, if you're Quebecois, "They are... Our Alberta!"

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
She's one of them?!
*Gets the holy water, and shotgun with silver bullets*

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Danial said:
Oh and If your American and come here please don't do a God damn Dick Van Dyke accent when trying to insult us.. That doesn't even make sense in London anymore never mind Haverfordwest.
...Are people really that stupid?

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
mad825 said:
Wales "our Canada"? I would say it's Scotland.
Nahhh, Scotland's our 'The South'.

OT: Speaking as someone living in Wales, I loved it. Will definitely be checking back in future for what I hope will be more great strips.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
huh, your comment in the comments was actually funnier than the strip which wasn't bad. Wasn't expecting that.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
El Poncho said:
There was a welsh guy shouting at my friend over COD, my friend shut him up when he said Wales was just a DLC for England xD
That actually made me laugh aloud.

I don't suppose having a dragon on the Union-Jack would be too bad, as long as it somewhat resembles Godzilla.

CLEVERSLEAZOID

Mar 4, 2009
I'm surprised no-one picked up the very last bit of writing on the article, I think it maybe more obscure than the Clangers reference.

Cory Rydell and Grey Carter are all over the front page, they give you road rrrrage
A line from what I think [personally] are the best band to come out of Wales. [And thats coming from a self proclaimed metal head]

<youtube=PK8btpWltTk>

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Dragon passant Gules on field BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN WOOOOOO!

Er, yeah. Sorry.

While I like the Welsh flag just fine, you couldn't really just slap the dragon on the Union Flag. It'd be too busy, and just try finding a color that doesn't either blend too much or clash too badly.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
crotalidian said:

ummm we have that in the US too...its called purto rico....and a few other places really

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
HAHAHA this had me cracking up xD

apologies to Canada (my ex was Canadian so I *could* make it personal :p lol)

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
I'm Welsh, lived here all my life and I found this strip to be funny. Actually the first strip I've ever seen, just because I was curious of the Welsh title.

As for the Dragon on the Jack, it isn't needed. It's on our flag and identifies us pretty well and actually means something in terms of Welsh history and culture. So it wouldn't make sense to be on the flag itself. There's a bit of red on the Jack, that'll do. Even if it is just basically the English flag.

EDIT:

Didn't notice the Catatonia reference at the bottom of the article. That's brilliant.
I hate Catatonia

Sodoff

Oct 15, 2009
Swaki said:
i had to google union jack, i thought he was talking about the comic, which sounded awesome.

but i get it, it would be like someone putting the horrible colours of *sweden* into my beloved dannebrog.
Not really, Dannebrog getting the colours of Sweden would be like the Union Jack mixing with the French flag.

Dec 14, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Bah! We were hating on the rest of the world when America was still a twinkle in the eye!
Like father, like son, right?
Nah, we were doing it when the rest of Europe was doing it. That was the norm back then. Britian was just the best at being an arsehole :)

There's no excuse in this day and age.
[sub]I'm looking at you America...[/sub]

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I was going to rage, but Carter is from Canada.
*head explodes*

GahzlyGriffon

Feb 12, 2009
crotalidian said:

1)scotland is worse than wales (we atleast have our own language)
2)all out tax goes to where? downing street exactly your moaning about us when the fact is england is the biggest leech on the planet
3)the assembely government can barley decide jack beacause downing street has al the power+ why would you want to sit on our goverment?
4)its this sort of narowminded cach that the english come up with which reinforces the stereotype of ENGLISH
/counterrant

but yeah i found the strip a good laugh at the inside jokes
like when americans take the piss out of canada you wont get it unless you already do

love a good banter with some of my english freinds

Feb 13, 2008
Grey Carter said:

LMAO

Oh, Oliver, how we miss your little whistles.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
Sodoff said:
Swaki said:

Not really, Dannebrog getting the colours of Sweden would be like the Union Jack mixing with the French flag.
...so the exact same colour scheme?.

i know it wouldent be the exact same, but since sweden and norway are our only "rivals" (as much as we love each other in Scandinavia we still hate other Scandinavians, Swedes being drunks and Norwegians being mountain monkeys :p) and since we all have the same basic flag it was the best example i could think of.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
England's relationship with Wales, is less like the U.S. & Canada and more like the internal relationship of the Northern and Southern states. Even that doesn't seem a good comparison, since Wales and Scotland have been joined in the act of union for centuries and before that were subjugated for long largely unbroken periods of time.

No-one is seriously pushing for the dragon on the flag. Even those that are trying to carve out a national identity through small things like bringing back the Welsh language (practically a dead language at one point) don't usually go that far.

Also it should be pointed out Cornwall has been playing around with the idea of independence for centuries too...

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I'll raise your Welsh jokes and say "English cousin-shaggers" or something along those lines.
For all of the English are terribly inbred and bla-bla-bla.

esperanto

Apr 21, 2009
I live with some welsh people, and I once saw one of them eat a raw potato. That is all.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
But canada is fucking awesome! Bryan Lee O'Mally came from there, and he made Scott Pilgrim, which was awesome, so by the transitive property Canada is awesome.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Summary: English man is upset that the Welsh have it better off.

Abraham Lincoln was part Welsh.

EDIT: Also, dragons (European ones, not the retarded Asian ones) are awesome.

Grey Carter said:

Tiny Soup Dragon, need I say more?

kiwisushi

Sep 29, 2008
Hehe, first I heard of the ddraig being put on the UK flag ... ardderchog arfer gan Cymraeg!

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Dublin Solo said:

....Seriously? |: That's like saying North America, America, and the USA are the same thing.

OP: Bah, wasn't so good, to be fair, these days I don't feel A LOT of racial hate from all over the British isles. Though, to be fair, I don't get why Wales is a country...Must look that up.

At least it's better than a shit sandwich joke.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
esperanto said:
I live with some welsh people, and I once saw one of them eat a raw potato. That is all.
Im English and Ive eaten a raw potato ... I skinned it and put salt on it Im no animal.
my two nieces are ... half welsh NOOOOOO.

actually my mothers side came from Ireland through Wales and my dads side originates in Ireland aswell. its all pretty distant in the genes though.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
That did give me a good chuckle :'3, I have a few Welsh friends and even they like mocking the Welsh, our ability to not give a shit about making even ourselves look like dicks is one of my favourite things about being English.

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
HEY! Don't you guys be DISSIN' Canada.

They've got poutine. And they know how to use it.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
standokan said:
I never even heard about the welsh people before this strip but that doesn't make it less funny.
You've never heard of Wales? o_O

Sifter49

May 12, 2010
When first referred to as 'sheep molesters,' I was about to subtly walk away. I reward you 586/10 pts, however, with the ever so rich burn on Canada. The burn would have been epic, but all of the ice up there pretty much makes it pointless.

Tiny116

The Cheerful Pessimist
May 6, 2009
I'm living and working in Wales at the moment..I...shouldn't....find...this....so....funny!

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
crotalidian said:
So it's basically how Quebec wants to be? *badum-tish*

SideburnsPuppy

May 23, 2009
Best Union Jack ever:

http://www.epicwin.org/img/gurrenlagann/unionflagann.gif

Union Flagann! Spin on!

Who the hell do you think I am?

Rawker

Jun 24, 2009
CrashBang said:
crotalidian said:

How did you move to the US? Tell me your secrets! I'm English, currently going to university in Wales and I just can't stand the UK as a whole. I'm hoping to move to Canada after university. How did you make it happen?

OT: Great strip, loved it. Wales in never ever mentioned in anything American. I don't think most Americans know about Wales, actually... lucky them
That's because we Americans no almost nothing. hopefully this comic will illustrate. all else fails it'll be a link
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/034/c/9/World_View_by_humon.jpg

Embz

Pony Wrangler
Mar 17, 2010
I would never want our beautiful dragon on the union jack! I dont want anything to do with that flag

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Well, being half Welsh and half English, my Welshness was insulted by the comic, and then my Englishness was insulted by the post... and as always I found it utterly hilarious.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
the representation in the Lord of the Ring HAHAHA!! XD

O that is some seriously funny comic strip XD

Assuming the readers here have a sense of humor, otherwise you've just manage to troll the Welsh, the English, and the Canadians. XD GJ on all fronts.

SexMeat

Mar 10, 2010
crotalidian said:
"they are self governed with their own budget and funds but also get tax money from England (we dont see any of theirs)".
We don't have any income to speak of, our biggest source was shut down by Thatcher in the 80s.

crotalidian said:
and they have representatives on our parlaiment to help decide how we spend our money but English members cannot sit on the Welsh parliament (to decide how they spend our money).
We don't have a parliament, you're thinking of the Scottish

I'm Welsh and have lived in South Wales all my life. This article wasn't even partially offensive,neither am I offended by the fact that people in the comments don't like Wales.

What does offend me is that what's being said about Wales in the comments is ill informed or just plain false.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Cant we just have saint George killing their dragon on our flag. Everyone wins. As long as your English and maybe William Wallaces (Bravehearts) head on a pike in the background. Then top it all off with saint George killing the dragon while shiting on a Leprechaun. Genius if I dont say so myself.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Geez, Canadian English isn't that bad. I mean, it actually has vowels. (I've been told Welsh also has vowels but so far have not found proof.)

Dygen Entreri

Sep 23, 2010
The US is the blight on the continent, not Canada! Sheesh. I thought you were supposed to be writing about games, so go back to that please. The last few weeks with this off topic stuff is disapointing.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
So the author made a racist comic, and people applaud? Yeaaaaaaaahhh...

Edit: Just to point this out - Just because the author put a disclaimer, after another racist joke mind you, doesn't make it alright.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
Hey, don't go comparing Canada to Wales! They contribute all sorts of things to the international community (by community, I of course mean America)! What's Wales ever done for anybody?

Apr 28, 2008
Woodsey said:
standokan said:
In his defense, Wale's hasn't really done anything to qualify for world-wide recognition. Or if they did, I haven't heard about it.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
"Sheep molesting parasites"

....Sure he wasn't talking about New Zealand then? Ba-dum-tish *shot*

mesoforte

Jan 5, 2010
Wolfram01 said:
Hmm don't really get the anti Welsh, nor as a Canadian, the anti-Canadian in this strip. A bit offensive really. Why don't you go back to making strips about gaming?
Grey Carter said:
On a serious note; In case you didn't get it, the strip is actually making fun of the English (because God knows we don't do that enough) and their bizarre relationship with the rest of the island. As someone pointed out, every nation on the British Isles hates each other, hates England collectively (even England hates England) and only collaborates when we come across the French (whom we hate) or the Americans (whom we also hate)
Its on the first post of the forum, after a picture of a bunch of orcs.

The strip is being intentionally over the top about the insults against the Welsh. That makes it kind of obvious that it isn't being entirely serious. Its a sort of comedy style.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
I think the canada remark wasn't too fair. sure, we enjoying poking fun at those maplesyrup-drinking lumberjacks, but i'd never consider them to be a bad thing. if anything, Canada is like America's mature older brother

Edechew

Mar 8, 2010
Just to inform you all, a dragon will never be on the Union Jack because the Welsh are already represented on that flag. It's the diagonal red cross if you're wondering.

Eyelicker

Apr 8, 2010
WingedFortress said:

Love,

Winnipeg.
Chillout butthurt Canadian bro, it's just a funny funny joke

and we're all good for fresh water, food, oil and money too! In fact last time I checked The US and UK were way richer than you crazy Canucks with your milk in bags and fetching tartan jackets.

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
WingedFortress said:
Goverment certainly seems to be trying there damm hardest to out do the US on economic failure, or at the very least pulling the rug from under everyones feet.
If it keeps going the way it is I will be jumping ship soon as I have my degree, UK is looking less friendly to the working class by the day.

OT and more cheery: Fantastic to see a web comic poke fun at the english/welsh "special relationship".

Embz

Pony Wrangler
Mar 17, 2010
Edechew said:
Just to inform you all, a dragon will never be on the Union Jack because the Welsh are already represented on that flag. It's the diagonal red cross if you're wondering.
Actually the diagonal red cross represents Northern Ireland, Wales isnt represented at all.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
My only encounter with a Welshman was in Iraq. A group of UK soldiers was sitting around smoking and I asked to borrow their lighter. A light conversation erupted and things were going fine until the welshman started speaking.

I recognized that he was tying to speak but I couldn't for the life of me understand what he was trying to say. After several moments, the Scottish fellow at the table provided a translation (he had asked how I was doing). I responded and the Welshman again tried talking to me directly only to be foiled by my ignorant American ears. The scottish soldier once again provided a translation. This went on for a time and then we all decided to move our separate ways before an international incident erupted.

Still, the fact that I had to have a Scotsman, who aren't exactly known for their elocution, provide a translation for the Welshman who was presumably speaking English was quite funny to the gentleman from London. My experience is insufficient to determine if all Welshmen speak like a drunken Scotsman with a dirty sock balled up in their mouths or if I was just dealing with a special case.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
The Welsh doesn't have a strange language! It makes perfectly sense!

[http://img407.imageshack.us/i/gogogoe.jpg/]

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Seqgewehr said:
Hey, my father is Welsh! I would be offended if I could find the time.
You mean you'd be offended if you figured out the right Diphthong to express annoyance?

Ha, I kid, I kid.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Irridium said:
Woodsey said:
standokan said:
In his defense, Wale's hasn't really done anything to qualify for world-wide recognition. Or if they did, I haven't heard about it.
He's from the Netherlands though! Wales is only a few hundred miles away.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Irridium said:
Woodsey said:
standokan said:
Urmmmm... Sheep molesting?

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
I like the fact that we as a society have moved past old fashioned hate of actually killing one another into the very silly realm of humorous loathing.

My Wales or Canada? Delaware. The Delewese know what they did.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Falseprophet said:
crotalidian said:

Australia and Canada are completely autonomous federal bodies... even protectorate zones such as the Torres Strait in Northern Australia come under the jurisdiction of the State of Queensland, rather than being a distinct region of the Commonwealth of Australia.

Sure you have the 'Torres Strait Regional Authority' which is a collection of 20 representatives to administer civil services and make public specific needs and complaints that arise by having a population and local georgraphy & topography that differ strongly with the mainland.

Not only this but the necessity for differential civil governship and use of resources that arise by having living conditions far alien to the average Australian south of them.

But regardless, the organization still relies on the State of Queensland and is directly answerable to it.

It seems like the Welsh don't like being lumped together with everybody else in the UK, whereas analogous political constructs such as the Torre Strait *love* all things about being Australian because they would completely crumble as an autonomous economy and nation-state iuf they tried providing the same quality of life they get now by being a member of the CoA.

Yankeedoodles

Sep 10, 2010
I realize this is a comic meant for humor but is this really what Canadians think that Americans think of Canadians? Parasites? I can assure my Canadian brethren that that isn't the case. Americans by and large think kindly of Canada... when we remember to think of it at all. As a comedian once said: Canada is like America's attic. There's a lot of really cool stuff up there but it doesn't really come to mind much.

Personally I think Canadians ought to seriously consider joining the American Union. I think it would benefit everyone enormously and they'd undoubtedly be welcomed with open arms. But that's a topic better left for an entirely different thread.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The_Decoy said:
Hehehe, I enjoyed that, not sure my girlfriend will (her being welsh and all).

And is there actually any plans to put a dragon on the flag? I can see some committee deciding the welsh want this...

Also, can it just say "Fuck Yeah" without the England part? I'd actually quite like that :)
Why shouldn't they? the flag already represents all of Britain, its already got the Scottish flag incorporated into it.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
Eyelicker said:
WingedFortress said:

Love,

Winnipeg.

and we're all good for fresh water, food, oil and money too! In fact last time I checked The US and UK were way richer than you crazy Canucks with your milk in bags and fetching tartan jackets.
Haha! Your dollars always down, ours keeps going up. Did you hear we made 200,00+ jobs in the last two years? I also like that all your unemployed keep running up here to make money! Actually, that last part was wrong. I don't like that a bunch of deadbeat americans keep running into our cities. Never mind all the water we *give* you..yeesh.

But thats okay, because I wasn't being very serious in my first post anyway. I actually have yet to meet an Englander I don't like, and despite all the bad press I keep hearing about the States, most of them are fantastic people face to face. Mabye not you, but most of them!

So chill out dude! Don't let the internet get ya so riled up!

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
Hey! That living room is almost big enough to play kinect with 4 players!

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
Wolfram01 said:
I never realized Canadians got offended by anti-Canada jokes. I thought it was mutually agreed that nobody actually hates Canada because there isn't the slightest reason to. So acting like you do is funny. Kind of like wearing a shirt that says "I hate babies".

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
Six pages, and still no "canada on strike" references?

Internet, I am disappoint :|

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
tehbeard said:
WingedFortress said:
Goverment certainly seems to be trying there damm hardest to out do the US on economic failure, or at the very least pulling the rug from under everyones feet.
If it keeps going the way it is I will be jumping ship soon as I have my degree, UK is looking less friendly to the working class by the day.

OT and more cheery: Fantastic to see a web comic poke fun at the english/welsh "special relationship".
It does unfortunately seem to be the case. Things needn't be too late though - as long as your willing to cut alot of those bonds with America, and leave them to their own squabbles in the middle east. Hell - the Canadian government would be well advised to take the exact same advice. We just have the current advantage of a low population and an abundance of resources.

Also - good job on catching some of the tongue and cheek in my comment. Too many Americans can't take a tough bit of criticism, but nearly every Englander I met can. Its that dry sarcasm we adopted from you guys. It's what makes me hope you guy's will be alright.

That being said, if things seem too awful back in England, feel free to come over here for a beer and a big plate of bacon covered in maple syrup while things cool down.

Apr 28, 2008
Continuity said:
Irridium said:
Woodsey said:
standokan said:
Urmmmm... Sheep molesting?
Isn't that New Zealand's thing?

Randomologist

Aug 6, 2008
erbkaiser said:
Welsh is derived from the Saxon "Waelsc", meaning foreigners or strangers. Nothing to do with West English... Indeed the first concept of "Angle-und" or England came about in the late Ninth Century, I think, and realised in the early 900s.

Edited to snip quote.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:

Really? I google translated it, and "Cach" came out as "Small", and "Haliwr" came out as... Haliwr. And "Y Ddraig Cach" came out as "The Small Dragon".

Fucking google.

evilmrgerbik

Nov 13, 2010
Bah, Canada is nobody's "Our Canada". We are a strong, independent country in our own right that doesn't rely on anyone's charity. All Canadians, take a moment and sing our anthem with pride!

evilmrgerbik

Nov 13, 2010
Canadians are a little prickly on this issue, it depends how tongue in cheek the joke is. We don't mind South Park's "Blame Canada" because its ridiculous, but if you call us "the 51st state" you will see that all Canadians carry a little Wolverine-style berserker rage inside. A good equivalent would be how New Jersey can make fun of itself, but they won't take any crap from New Yorkers. Hey, it's tough to live next to a self-obsessed super-power and still feel independent.

evilmrgerbik

Nov 13, 2010
Canadians are a little prickly on this issue, it depends how tongue in cheek the joke is. We don't mind South Park's "Blame Canada" because its ridiculous, but if you call us "the 51st state" you will see that all Canadians carry a little Wolverine-style berserker rage inside. A good equivalent would be how New Jersey can make fun of itself, but they won't take any crap from New Yorkers. Hey, it's tough to live next to a self-obsessed super-power and still feel independent.

BeastofShadow

Jun 29, 2009
MelonGrenade said:
Hooray for casual racism
And the Republic of Ireland is our Canada.
Oi! We're no body's Canada. We have our own special place in the world as the feckin' eejits who nearly brought down the EU XD

Drayfas

Dec 30, 2010
I'm English first, British second, Europeon third and a part of this beautiful planet forth and bloody proud to be each and every one of them.

Sad Panda 46

Apr 6, 2010
How in the world are we the West English? We are a different country! But in all honesty, we are one of the least heard of countries in the world, because we are considered as part of England.

Xanian

Oct 19, 2009
Jim Grim said:
To be honest I never thought about Wales like that and wasn't aware that anyone did. Besides the sheep jokes, of course.
YAY! Frank Zappa!

OT: What's wrong with Canada? What's wrong with Wales? Damnit...there are too many subdivisions to hate for me to keep track! Can't I just hate everybody?

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Lord_Panzer said:
icyneesan said:
lolz Englande

Keith K said:

Heeeeey, we can occupy ourselves just fine here in Manitoba without humping sheep. There's watching paint dry, wheat grow, and staring at the horizon. The very flat horizon.

And if anything, we'd hump cattle not sheep. I've not seen a single sheep in Manitoba. Not even in petting zoos.

evilmrgerbik said:
So true. I've found that we can laugh at ourselves, heck even our comedians make jokes about Canada, but I haven't found a single Canadian who doesn't at least feel irritated if they get called an American. I know I would certainly be pissed off.

psycoking

Dec 30, 2009
So Wales is England's Canada?

So, almost a copy, but somethings not quite right. They speak a little funny, and you don't really have much respect for them. Is that about right? ^_^

Of course, Americans don't really hate Canada. They're kinda like out little brother.

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
So our dear Erin Stout is Canadian eh?
But that reminds me...
<youtube=-S7_UAs7dAE>

"Cory Rydell and Grey Carter run like Welshmen."

7moreDead_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2009
Well it's nice at least too get my beloved Wales some form of recognition - I had a happy moment (kinda) when I read the shit dragon on the front page ^^...At least our flag isn't boring.

England is Wales Mexico...o.0

To be born Welsh
is to be born privileged.
Not with a silver spoon in your mouth,
But music in your blood
And poetry in your soul
- Wilfred Wilson

Irridium said:
Woodsey said:
standokan said:
We were at the forefront and fuelling the industrial revolution!

We did have the longest railway station in the world and longest single span bridge for a while ...Yeah.

Ih8pkmn said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:

Really? I google translated it, and "Cach" came out as "Small", and "Haliwr" came out as... Haliwr. And "Y Ddraig Cach" came out as "The Small Dragon".

Fucking google.
That would be Y ddraig fach or bach or both really...My Welsh is slipping cursed S.Walian schooling.

Madcat75

May 7, 2010
CYMRU AM BYTH!!!
FI GODWN NI ETO!!!

Stirps like this is yet another reason why we need to end the opression of the Welsh people by the hated English, as a born and bred Welshman ( and very proud of it) i found this strip to be typical of the attitude of the English and found it very offensive.

Kill100577

Nov 25, 2009
Well of course the welsh hate the english, but we have respect for the Irish and the Scotish...except when it comes to rugby we hate them for 80 mins but then will always take them to the pub afterwards..as long as there not english.

Drazeric

Feb 24, 2010
I love how everyone makes fun of Canada...yet they always fail to mention that its an awesome place to live. Im sorry that we arnt the most hated country in the world like america, or that most of our people arnt obese. I love it when people make fun of us without knowing anything about us.

yakapoe

Nov 30, 2009
This is hilarious how many people are taking an issue with a webcomic playing on some nationalistic rivalry. Oh internets, you rage is without end.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
So I take it that the big reveal (I only read the first page of comments, and no one mentioned it) about our protagonist- who I am assuming to be Erin, given the theme and whatnot- is Canadian?

DUN DUN DUN!

As a Canadian, I... found her reaction humorous, probably as much so as any other reader from any other country.

Heh, oh us Canucks.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
Neferius said:
So our dear Erin Stout is Canadian eh?
Ah, someone else noticed that part, and possibly people back in pages 2-4. I wonder how this will change the way we look at Erin Stout?

My guess: not at all. That is where I'd find the most humour, actually.

ZydrateDealer

Nov 17, 2009
erbkaiser said:
Being Cymraeg I don't see a problem with any of the English just the racist ones and the ignorant ones, and while you mention it the language isn't incomprehensible at all my friend. Yes we put adjectives before nouns, but this happens in many other languages, and people from mainland europe find it a hell of a lot easier to learn welsh than english.

Still it is quite nice.

ZydrateDealer

Nov 17, 2009
psycoking said:
So Wales is England's Canada?

So, almost a copy, but somethings not quite right. They speak a little funny, and you don't really have much respect for them. Is that about right? ^_^
No. See the English invaded, conquered and subjugated us then nicked all our fossil fuel...are relationship with England is more like that of America and the Middle Eastern countries you've been stomping on recently...also we are not a malformed copy of England, if anything Scotland is because the Scottish are all from Ireland and they killed off the Picts (orginal occupants of Scotland), the English all came from mainland europe and tried killing off the original occupants but must have ran out of steam at some point because we (the welsh and the cornish) are still here on the west coast.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Hehe. Also, are they really putting the dragon the Union Flag? (Since it's actually only a Union Jack when it's on a ship but hey). That would be badass.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
If Wales is our Canada would that make Scotland our Mexico? Hmmmm we could use a fucking huge fence to keep them out of England. Actually I'm pretty sure that Scotland IS our Canada, its really cold, most of the land is covered in Pine Trees and there are more cows than people.

They do make really nice Steak Pies though.

ZydrateDealer

Nov 17, 2009
As a Welshman this upset me a lot more than the Comic. (Where you see words in brackets like these I have responded to the criticisms of my nation.)

crotalidian said:

(I should hope not it'd be very tacky to stick our dragon on a background of saintly crosses, a more appropriate choice would be using the flag of St. David and sticking a bit of yellow and black into the Union Jack.)

("I'm not Welsh but I lived there so I know everything about them, [which clearly you don't by the way] and not once have I seen a symbol that doesn't represent them in anyway proudly displayed anywhere." Very true indeed dipshit also every flag has a nationalist stigma attatched to it though not every flag is used by the English Defence League so maybe this is an issue you should take up with them not us.)

(Canada is also self governed and definately has it's own budget. Our funds & budget comes from the same big pile of money gather by the government from all Welsh, English, Scotish and N.Irish people and yes our representatives meet up in Cardiff and London but they aren't seperate and our spending is watched by the London parliment, we'll never see any of our own money either because all the taxes are gathered up and distributed where they need to go, building hospitals, researching the next military advance, a politician's hooker fund etcetera etcetera; but we do pay taxes just the same. Also an English MP can't sit in Welsh parliment because their constituency isn't in Wales retard! An Englishman could sit in Welsh parliment if he was an MP for a Welsh constituency.)

(I'm not the US has an image problem with the rest of the world and you aren't going to make them look better and yes democracy is an idiotic system when you think about it but then escaping a democratic country because you hate the system to wind up knowingly in another democratic system that has more problems...that isn't idiotic; because calling you an idiot would insult idiots the world over, you somewhere on the scale with George Bush and people who believe the Daily Star.)

EDIT: I'd like to point out that hearing all the worst things the English can say Wales stings but I still found the comic a little bit funny.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
As an American who has visited Canada, and has several Canadian friends, I find the last joke funny, but inaccurate. Canada is actually really cool, and I have yet to meet anyone who actually dislikes Canada. When Americans tell Canadian jokes, they're almost as a rule, in good nature.

Wales, on the other hand, I have no experience with. I've never encountered a Welshman, so I can't say.

Regardless, though, really funny strip. Definitely one of the best.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
ive noticed that they couldnt do this about scotland, we get too aggravated about that sort of thing

difference is scotland deserves to be in UK, we basically won crimea on our own and everyone knows the majority of the SAS are scottish

hilarion

Dec 18, 2007
shootthebandit said:
ive noticed that they couldnt do this about scotland, we get too aggravated about that sort of thing

difference is scotland deserves to be in UK, we basically won crimea on our own and everyone knows the majority of the SAS are scottish
Ah, but the SAS lives and trains in Wales......

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
As an Englishman all I need to know about the welsh is; Funny accent, Strange language and of course sheep jokes. You don't really ever learn anything about them...

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
shootthebandit said:
That and you have a truly astounding degree of knife crime.

MikeyJC

Apr 17, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Depends on whether you're in Glasgow or not. You're just as likely to be kissed by Glaswegian.
If you're in a car, you'll be given lovely gifts, like bricks.
Go Neds.

DeathWing007

Jan 10, 2011
LOL! Great comic.

I am Canadian and laughed at this but, I won't take offence to this. Cause I know we rock! Yay!

I've never met anyone from Wales though.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
Leftnt Sharpe said:
If Wales is our Canada would that make Scotland our Mexico? Hmmmm we could use a fucking huge fence to keep them out of England. Actually I'm pretty sure that Scotland IS our Canada, its really cold, most of the land is covered in Pine Trees and there are more cows than people.

They do make really nice Steak Pies though.
England's going to be Scotland's Mexico now, what with all our free University tuition n all

alliedlama

Nov 18, 2009
Aww...
some of these comments are just mean. I understand the angle that the comic is meant to be coming from what with the fact that every part of britain does hate their neighbors but these comments are just blatant xenophobia.
I'm welsh by the way and it really disappoints me to see people being so hateful towards us as a minority.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Scobie said:
Note to self: find excuse to use the phrase "limp-wristed dragon of mediocrity" in conversation.
I have to find excuse to use the term "Sheep molesting parasites" Soon. This comic was priceless XD

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
MikeyJC said:
Grey Carter said:
Depends on whether you're in Glasgow or not. You're just as likely to be kissed by Glaswegian.
If you're in a car, you'll be given lovely gifts, like bricks.
Go Neds.
And here I thought we Americans were overly violent....Ya'll just put Detroit to shame with that!

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I hope the Dragon thing isn't true, the Welsh dragon would just look weird on the Union Jack and I think it would just clutter it up.

sinestro1940

Nov 26, 2009
WAITWHOAAHOjajfkdjfska;jfkdsa;jWHOA... Hold up a sec... This comic is BritisH? *head explodes in disbelief, not to say that the Brits aren't funny, it's just that I didn't know. I'm American you know, we're pretty ignorant. Just ask anyone who hates America. ._.*

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
icyneesan said:
I think your thinking of New Zealand, at least the first part.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Wolfram01 said:
If you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at?

Buddywazzizname

Jan 11, 2011
Lads, it's a comic about a strange woman, her pet mouse and a great many jokes about dongs, feces and farts.

Simmer down a little.

Maddeth

Dec 7, 2010
Buddywazzizname said:
Lads, it's a comic about a strange woman, her pet mouse and a great many jokes about dongs, feces and farts.

Simmer down a little.
Indeed :) I'm Welsh, thought it was funny, always amazes me how serious people get, and how many people get sucked into the trolling.

Great comic :D

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I have a sudden urge to visit Wales...and Canada now that I think on it...curse my paradoxical inclination to move south despite my desire to visit places to the north and east!

Orinon

Jan 24, 2010
What do you mean about Canada? I'm Canadian And I do not approve of our great country being called: not a country, a cyst,a stigma, and a scourge.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Irridium said:
French Fries and gravy too!
The food of the gods!

standokan

May 28, 2009
Woodsey said:
standokan said:
Sure, but just as a name not like what Wales actually is, I'm dutch okay, I don't think that I'm even supposed to know those things.

Eyelicker

Apr 8, 2010
WingedFortress said:
Eyelicker said:
WingedFortress said:

Love,

Winnipeg.

Haha! Your dollars always down, ours keeps going up. Did you hear we made 200,00+ jobs in the last two years? I also like that all your unemployed keep running up here to make money! Actually, that last part was wrong. I don't like that a bunch of deadbeat americans keep running into our cities. Never mind all the water we *give* you..yeesh.

But thats okay, because I wasn't being very serious in my first post anyway. I actually have yet to meet an Englander I don't like, and despite all the bad press I keep hearing about the States, most of them are fantastic people face to face. Mabye not you, but most of them!

So chill out dude! Don't let the internet get ya so riled up!
Awww, thats hurt my feelings now, why do you think I wouldn't be fantastic face to face :(

Liam Riordan

Feb 25, 2010
I'm late to this comic, but by God I laughed at this strip, and I'm Welsh! I've never heard the comparison of Wales as England's Canada, bloody epic!

Fi'n hoffi hwn!

Luquent

Dec 3, 2009
As a Canadian, I find this strip offensive in the extreme. The US has more sheep-humpers per capita than we Canadians, and we are more like Norway or Denmark than Wales.

Now sit in the corner and think about what you've done.

ayuri

Sep 11, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Dublin Solo said:
And although I'm living in Canada, I found it funny as well.
and I'm the best of both worlds.. can't wait till they make fun of the Irish then they will have proven they hate everything about me. :)