Critical Miss: Y Ddraig Cach

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Canadians are polite........

Falseprophet said:
crotalidian said:
Wales is worse than Canada, they are self governed with their own budget and funds but also get tax money from England (we dont see any of theirs). and they have representatives on our parlaiment to help decide how we spend our money but English members cannot sit on the Welsh parliament (to decide how they spend our money).

I am so glad to have moved to the US. with all its problems at least we doint have to deal with this idiotic system. /rant
The US has had that system longer than anyone. It's called federalism. It's pretty much a necessity for large, continent-spanning nations, which is why we Canadians and the Australians, among others, also adopted it.

But from what you're implying, England is the only part of the UK without separate regional government. Sounds like that's the real issue.

Wales gets just under £1000 per person more form central government than England, Scotland gets nearly £1300 more. Ok there issues to do with the cost of providing public services in areas of Wales and Scotland that make it more expensive. However most of the money is wasted on stupid grandiose projects by regional governments that have less votes than the mayor of London. The welsh tv channel costs £100 million of tax payers money a year but only 20% of programmes got more than 10000 viewers.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
Do you smell wild fire cause Canada just got burrrrrrrrrrned (whales too, but I'm not sure if they got a enough trees to have a wild fire, Ive heard its very bare land)

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
There was a welsh guy shouting at my friend over COD, my friend shut him up when he said Wales was just a DLC for England xD

Dr_Pie

Aug 11, 2009
zombie711 said:
Do you smell wild fire cause Canada just got burrrrrrrrrrned (whales too, but I'm not sure if they got a enough trees to have a wild fire, Ive heard its very bare land)
No h in Wales. And we have a fucktonne of trees.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
Haha, Erin's Canadian.

I just watched Scott Pilgram vs the World, it was refreshing to see a Canuck kick a follow Yankee's cocky ass.

"The only thing Yankees hate more than anyone else are each other." -some joke I heard.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Aw, Canada ain't that bad. I mean sure we Americans will joke about them being "the 51st state", but they're nice neighbors. They don't go around causing trouble and they're very good friends. Plus they make up a huge percentage of trade with the US. So high five Canada!

As for the Welsh, that's what you get England for taking them over and controlling them for all those years. Same with Ireland and Scotland. You want a United Kingdom, you're gonna have to put up with the rest of the bunch.
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Nice use of getting crap past the censors. For those who don't know any welsh cach is shit and haliwr is wanker :p

edit: the title is In Dragon Shit
Ah, figured that some of those words were Welsh.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
The English guy that looks like regular English me has my agreement all the way up until "Our Canada" - I fucking love Canada.

SoldieroFortune

Apr 1, 2009
Wuvlycuddles said:
I was born in Wales and this strip receives my seal of approval.

Just a warning though, Batman and Hannibal Lecter were both born in Wales... (well the actors were :p) Do you really wanna piss those two off?

Although i'd be awesome to see them team up!
Not to mention Gimli ...

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Brilliant strip!! Thank ye gods for the River Dee, says I!! - (also the Mersey, but we're ragging on the Welsh today, not the scousers...!)

Scarim Coral said:
Although I'm living in Wales I found this stripe to be very funny!
Don't worry.... we don't think any less of you for admitting that...! ;O)

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Hopefully non-inflammatory opinions below.

Wales has a better anthem than England (sorry, Mae Hen Wlad fy Nhadau is just loads cooler than God Save the Queen). Much like Canada has a much better one than the US (or the rest of the whole world, come to that).

Wales also has a second language with heavy government subsidies which definitely sounds neater than English (pats the nearby "Teach Yourself Welsh" book), which partially corresponds to Canada (though whether English or French-Canadian sound better is definitely a matter of taste).

However, Welsh football definitely isn't as good as English (sorry, Ryan Giggs). While Canadian football blows away the American variety in every way imaginable.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
crotalidian said:
...Is this actually a real thing that is happening?

I lived in Wales for 3 years and from that experience it is clear that the Welsh have no interest in being part of the Union Jack (or even the UK) the flag is never seen. As English people we are forced to use the 'British' flag because our beloved cross of St George has a nationalist stigma attached to it.

Wales is worse than Canada, they are self governed with their own budget and funds but also get tax money from England (we dont see any of theirs). and they have representatives on our parlaiment to help decide how we spend our money but English members cannot sit on the Welsh parliament (to decide how they spend our money).

I am so glad to have moved to the US. with all its problems at least we doint have to deal with this idiotic system. /rant
I think you're getting Wales mixed up with Scotland. It's true that Wales has it's own Parliament, however, they have pretty much the same rules and laws as England and indeed seem to be nothing more than a few extra counties, united under the banner of 'Wales'. Fine, in North Wales they tend to be slightly Anglophobic and speak the native language more, and so on, but mostly Wales is pretty friendly towards England (that whole 'rivalry' thing is mainly stereotype, unless it's sports-related in which case it becomes deadly serious). And I should know, I live in England yet have spent a lot of time in Wales for various reasons.

And I have no idea where you get this idea that we see none of the taxes from Wales, because we do, it all gets paid to the same government. No, Scotland are the ones who really take advantage and effectively govern themselves. They have completely different systems for everything, especially education, and it's them who take money from us without giving us anything in return. Personally, I'd be happy for Scotland to either rejoin the UK proper and pay taxes to London, and disband their own Parliament, or just secede completely and become their own country (like Ireland) and have their own economy instead of sponging off us. Of course, that's hardly likely to happen though, is it...?

As for the comic, it was pretty good, and interesting to get even a tiny glimpse of Erin's backstory (Canadian, you say? Oh dear... :p). And anything with English characters is automatically made awesome, because England is the best country in the world!!!!!

SoldieroFortune

Apr 1, 2009
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Nice use of getting crap past the censors. For those who don't know any welsh cach is shit and haliwr is wanker :p

edit: the title is In Dragon Shit
Actually, I believe the title is "The Dragon Shit." It is a play on Y Ddraig Coch, which means "The Red Dragon" (i.e. the symbol on Wales's flag.)

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
It can't be our Canada, I like Canada.

Wales, on the other hand, is second only to London on the list of places I... wouldn't miss if they were to stop existing.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
crotalidian said:
Lukeje said:
crotalidian said:

I think you're thinking of the Scottish.
Not in this case but the situation is the same with the Scottish... They already have their colours on the Union Jack though so no real argument there
You can have your tax money back, we'll just keep our oil k?

I kid I kid, I don't really care about all this stuff. Good strip, why did Erin say hey at the end? 2 parter?