Critical Miss: Y Ddraig Cach

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
My only encounter with a Welshman was in Iraq. A group of UK soldiers was sitting around smoking and I asked to borrow their lighter. A light conversation erupted and things were going fine until the welshman started speaking.

I recognized that he was tying to speak but I couldn't for the life of me understand what he was trying to say. After several moments, the Scottish fellow at the table provided a translation (he had asked how I was doing). I responded and the Welshman again tried talking to me directly only to be foiled by my ignorant American ears. The scottish soldier once again provided a translation. This went on for a time and then we all decided to move our separate ways before an international incident erupted.

Still, the fact that I had to have a Scotsman, who aren't exactly known for their elocution, provide a translation for the Welshman who was presumably speaking English was quite funny to the gentleman from London. My experience is insufficient to determine if all Welshmen speak like a drunken Scotsman with a dirty sock balled up in their mouths or if I was just dealing with a special case.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
The Welsh doesn't have a strange language! It makes perfectly sense!

[http://img407.imageshack.us/i/gogogoe.jpg/]

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Seqgewehr said:
Hey, my father is Welsh! I would be offended if I could find the time.
You mean you'd be offended if you figured out the right Diphthong to express annoyance?

Ha, I kid, I kid.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Irridium said:
Woodsey said:
standokan said:
I never even heard about the welsh people before this strip but that doesn't make it less funny.
You've never heard of Wales? o_O
In his defense, Wale's hasn't really done anything to qualify for world-wide recognition. Or if they did, I haven't heard about it.
He's from the Netherlands though! Wales is only a few hundred miles away.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Irridium said:
Woodsey said:
standokan said:
I never even heard about the welsh people before this strip but that doesn't make it less funny.
You've never heard of Wales? o_O
In his defense, Wale's hasn't really done anything to qualify for world-wide recognition. Or if they did, I haven't heard about it.
Urmmmm... Sheep molesting?

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
I like the fact that we as a society have moved past old fashioned hate of actually killing one another into the very silly realm of humorous loathing.

My Wales or Canada? Delaware. The Delewese know what they did.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Falseprophet said:
crotalidian said:
Wales is worse than Canada, they are self governed with their own budget and funds but also get tax money from England (we dont see any of theirs). and they have representatives on our parlaiment to help decide how we spend our money but English members cannot sit on the Welsh parliament (to decide how they spend our money).

I am so glad to have moved to the US. with all its problems at least we doint have to deal with this idiotic system. /rant
The US has had that system longer than anyone. It's called federalism. It's pretty much a necessity for large, continent-spanning nations, which is why we Canadians and the Australians, among others, also adopted it.

But from what you're implying, England is the only part of the UK without separate regional government. Sounds like that's the real issue.
Australia and Canada are completely autonomous federal bodies... even protectorate zones such as the Torres Strait in Northern Australia come under the jurisdiction of the State of Queensland, rather than being a distinct region of the Commonwealth of Australia.

Sure you have the 'Torres Strait Regional Authority' which is a collection of 20 representatives to administer civil services and make public specific needs and complaints that arise by having a population and local georgraphy & topography that differ strongly with the mainland.

Not only this but the necessity for differential civil governship and use of resources that arise by having living conditions far alien to the average Australian south of them.

But regardless, the organization still relies on the State of Queensland and is directly answerable to it.

It seems like the Welsh don't like being lumped together with everybody else in the UK, whereas analogous political constructs such as the Torre Strait *love* all things about being Australian because they would completely crumble as an autonomous economy and nation-state iuf they tried providing the same quality of life they get now by being a member of the CoA.

Yankeedoodles

Sep 10, 2010
I realize this is a comic meant for humor but is this really what Canadians think that Americans think of Canadians? Parasites? I can assure my Canadian brethren that that isn't the case. Americans by and large think kindly of Canada... when we remember to think of it at all. As a comedian once said: Canada is like America's attic. There's a lot of really cool stuff up there but it doesn't really come to mind much.

Personally I think Canadians ought to seriously consider joining the American Union. I think it would benefit everyone enormously and they'd undoubtedly be welcomed with open arms. But that's a topic better left for an entirely different thread.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
Eyelicker said:
WingedFortress said:
I would urge England to keep identifying with the Americans at every corner. Mabye if you fight enough of their wars, and adopt enough of their bad habits, you can also have an epic economic failure and alienate yourselves from the rest of the world.

And Wales! Feel free to come by for some free fresh water, food, oil and money. We have plenty here in Canada.

Love,

Winnipeg.
Chillout butthurt Canadian bro, it's just a funny funny joke

and we're all good for fresh water, food, oil and money too! In fact last time I checked The US and UK were way richer than you crazy Canucks with your milk in bags and fetching tartan jackets.
Haha! Your dollars always down, ours keeps going up. Did you hear we made 200,00+ jobs in the last two years? I also like that all your unemployed keep running up here to make money! Actually, that last part was wrong. I don't like that a bunch of deadbeat americans keep running into our cities. Never mind all the water we *give* you..yeesh.

But thats okay, because I wasn't being very serious in my first post anyway. I actually have yet to meet an Englander I don't like, and despite all the bad press I keep hearing about the States, most of them are fantastic people face to face. Mabye not you, but most of them!

So chill out dude! Don't let the internet get ya so riled up!

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
Wolfram01 said:
Hmm don't really get the anti Welsh, nor as a Canadian, the anti-Canadian in this strip. A bit offensive really. Why don't you go back to making strips about gaming?
I never realized Canadians got offended by anti-Canada jokes. I thought it was mutually agreed that nobody actually hates Canada because there isn't the slightest reason to. So acting like you do is funny. Kind of like wearing a shirt that says "I hate babies".