Critical Miss: Y Ddraig Cach

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
Six pages, and still no "canada on strike" references?

Internet, I am disappoint :|

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
tehbeard said:
WingedFortress said:
I would urge England to keep identifying with the Americans at every corner. Mabye if you fight enough of their wars, and adopt enough of their bad habits, you can also have an epic economic failure and alienate yourselves from the rest of the world.
Goverment certainly seems to be trying there damm hardest to out do the US on economic failure, or at the very least pulling the rug from under everyones feet.
If it keeps going the way it is I will be jumping ship soon as I have my degree, UK is looking less friendly to the working class by the day.

OT and more cheery: Fantastic to see a web comic poke fun at the english/welsh "special relationship".
It does unfortunately seem to be the case. Things needn't be too late though - as long as your willing to cut alot of those bonds with America, and leave them to their own squabbles in the middle east. Hell - the Canadian government would be well advised to take the exact same advice. We just have the current advantage of a low population and an abundance of resources.

Also - good job on catching some of the tongue and cheek in my comment. Too many Americans can't take a tough bit of criticism, but nearly every Englander I met can. Its that dry sarcasm we adopted from you guys. It's what makes me hope you guy's will be alright.

That being said, if things seem too awful back in England, feel free to come over here for a beer and a big plate of bacon covered in maple syrup while things cool down.

Apr 28, 2008
Continuity said:
Irridium said:
Woodsey said:
standokan said:
I never even heard about the welsh people before this strip but that doesn't make it less funny.
You've never heard of Wales? o_O
In his defense, Wale's hasn't really done anything to qualify for world-wide recognition. Or if they did, I haven't heard about it.
Urmmmm... Sheep molesting?
Isn't that New Zealand's thing?

Randomologist

Aug 6, 2008
erbkaiser said:
I don't see the problem with the [font color="blue"]We[/font]st Eng[font color="blue"]l[/font]i[font color="blue"]sh[/font]. Sure their language is incomprehensible, but it's a nice little country.
Welsh is derived from the Saxon "Waelsc", meaning foreigners or strangers. Nothing to do with West English... Indeed the first concept of "Angle-und" or England came about in the late Ninth Century, I think, and realised in the early 900s.

Edited to snip quote.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Nice use of getting crap past the censors. For those who don't know any welsh cach is shit and haliwr is wanker :p

edit: the title is In Dragon Shit
Really? I google translated it, and "Cach" came out as "Small", and "Haliwr" came out as... Haliwr. And "Y Ddraig Cach" came out as "The Small Dragon".

Fucking google.

evilmrgerbik

Nov 13, 2010
Bah, Canada is nobody's "Our Canada". We are a strong, independent country in our own right that doesn't rely on anyone's charity. All Canadians, take a moment and sing our anthem with pride!

evilmrgerbik

Nov 13, 2010
Canadians are a little prickly on this issue, it depends how tongue in cheek the joke is. We don't mind South Park's "Blame Canada" because its ridiculous, but if you call us "the 51st state" you will see that all Canadians carry a little Wolverine-style berserker rage inside. A good equivalent would be how New Jersey can make fun of itself, but they won't take any crap from New Yorkers. Hey, it's tough to live next to a self-obsessed super-power and still feel independent.

evilmrgerbik

Nov 13, 2010
Canadians are a little prickly on this issue, it depends how tongue in cheek the joke is. We don't mind South Park's "Blame Canada" because its ridiculous, but if you call us "the 51st state" you will see that all Canadians carry a little Wolverine-style berserker rage inside. A good equivalent would be how New Jersey can make fun of itself, but they won't take any crap from New Yorkers. Hey, it's tough to live next to a self-obsessed super-power and still feel independent.

BeastofShadow

Jun 29, 2009
MelonGrenade said:
Hooray for casual racism
And the Republic of Ireland is our Canada.
Oi! We're no body's Canada. We have our own special place in the world as the feckin' eejits who nearly brought down the EU XD

Drayfas

Dec 30, 2010
I'm English first, British second, Europeon third and a part of this beautiful planet forth and bloody proud to be each and every one of them.

Sad Panda 46

Apr 6, 2010
How in the world are we the West English? We are a different country! But in all honesty, we are one of the least heard of countries in the world, because we are considered as part of England.

Xanian

Oct 19, 2009
Jim Grim said:
To be honest I never thought about Wales like that and wasn't aware that anyone did. Besides the sheep jokes, of course.
YAY! Frank Zappa!

OT: What's wrong with Canada? What's wrong with Wales? Damnit...there are too many subdivisions to hate for me to keep track! Can't I just hate everybody?

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Lord_Panzer said:
icyneesan said:
lolz Englande

Keith K said:
I fail to see how Wales and Canada are comparable.
We've got sheep humper problems, local law enforcement does what it can, but its not looking so good for farmers.
In Manitoba, maybe, where there's nothing else to do. The rest of us can occupy ourselves just fine.

Strip was kinda funny and kinda "...enhhh?"
Heeeeey, we can occupy ourselves just fine here in Manitoba without humping sheep. There's watching paint dry, wheat grow, and staring at the horizon. The very flat horizon.

And if anything, we'd hump cattle not sheep. I've not seen a single sheep in Manitoba. Not even in petting zoos.

evilmrgerbik said:
So true. I've found that we can laugh at ourselves, heck even our comedians make jokes about Canada, but I haven't found a single Canadian who doesn't at least feel irritated if they get called an American. I know I would certainly be pissed off.

psycoking

Dec 30, 2009
So Wales is England's Canada?

So, almost a copy, but somethings not quite right. They speak a little funny, and you don't really have much respect for them. Is that about right? ^_^

Of course, Americans don't really hate Canada. They're kinda like out little brother.

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
So our dear Erin Stout is Canadian eh?
But that reminds me...
<youtube=-S7_UAs7dAE>

"Cory Rydell and Grey Carter run like Welshmen."

7moreDead_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2009
Well it's nice at least too get my beloved Wales some form of recognition - I had a happy moment (kinda) when I read the shit dragon on the front page ^^...At least our flag isn't boring.

England is Wales Mexico...o.0

To be born Welsh
is to be born privileged.
Not with a silver spoon in your mouth,
But music in your blood
And poetry in your soul
- Wilfred Wilson

Irridium said:
Woodsey said:
standokan said:
I never even heard about the welsh people before this strip but that doesn't make it less funny.
You've never heard of Wales? o_O
In his defense, Wale's hasn't really done anything to qualify for world-wide recognition. Or if they did, I haven't heard about it.
We were at the forefront and fuelling the industrial revolution!

We did have the longest railway station in the world and longest single span bridge for a while ...Yeah.

Ih8pkmn said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Nice use of getting crap past the censors. For those who don't know any welsh cach is shit and haliwr is wanker :p

edit: the title is In Dragon Shit
Really? I google translated it, and "Cach" came out as "Small", and "Haliwr" came out as... Haliwr. And "Y Ddraig Cach" came out as "The Small Dragon".

Fucking google.
That would be Y ddraig fach or bach or both really...My Welsh is slipping cursed S.Walian schooling.

Madcat75

May 7, 2010
CYMRU AM BYTH!!!
FI GODWN NI ETO!!!

Stirps like this is yet another reason why we need to end the opression of the Welsh people by the hated English, as a born and bred Welshman ( and very proud of it) i found this strip to be typical of the attitude of the English and found it very offensive.

Kill100577

Nov 25, 2009
Well of course the welsh hate the english, but we have respect for the Irish and the Scotish...except when it comes to rugby we hate them for 80 mins but then will always take them to the pub afterwards..as long as there not english.