Cronenberg Considering a Remake of The Fly

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Cronenberg Considering a Remake of The Fly

The Fly [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000343/].

Starring Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis, The Fly was a "huge hit," according to the remaking everything in sight [http://www.riskybusinessblog.com/2009/09/david-cronenberg-doing-reboot-of-the-fly.html], Cronenberg has reversed his past stance against having another go at the film and is now negotiating a deal with Fox to write and possibly direct a reboot.

I hate the word "reboot." You know why? Because in film-making terms it's essentially the same as a "re-imagining," and we've already been down that road; it's nothing more than a five-syllable excuse for the creatively barren wasteland the Hollywood movie system has become. You can't turn around these days without being pasted in the face by a remake of some not-all-that-old movie, chewed up and puked out onto audiences like a $12 breakfast in bed delivered by a well-financed but remarkably untalented mama bird.

Of course, nobody's going to accuse David Cronenberg of not having talent and that's the one upside to all this: I can't think of anyone I'd rather see directing a remake of one of his best-known films than Cronenberg himself. It's also a bit disingenuous to rail against a remake when the 1986 release was itself an update of the 1958 Vincent Price vehicle [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051622/] of the same name. Fair is fair, I suppose.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
CGI would ruin this.

I really hope they don't go down the "special effects movie" route for this re-make.

MrMisfit

Apr 8, 2008
That version was already a remake and it was awesome. This new remake will most likely suck.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So he's remaking the his own remake?

The Fly was probably the best remake ever and now they have to pull ol' Brundlefly's carcas out of the closet for another one?

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
this could be interesting, he's always had a bit of an odd twist to all his movies

like to see what they try with this one

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
sturryz said:
Remaking a Remake? wha...
Sadly not the first time. Invasion of the Body Snatchers has been remade a few times now. And it looks like The Blob will be remade for a third as well. And this is not counting the kinda remakes (same movie different title).

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
What again? This is getting ridiculous. We're on to remakes of remakes now are we? It won't be long before someone starts remaking Harry frigging Potter. Hollywood really needs to get its act together. But of course if a series makes money, then it'll keep going. I refer you of course to Transformers 2

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
Dumb dumb dumb. I have no problems with remakes, or even remakes of remakes. It's just that the remake doesn't need to be remade because it is such a good remake...get it?

I did like then end of the original though, and it wasn't in the 80's remake.

"Heeelp me"
"Heeeeeeelp me"

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
squid5580 said:
sturryz said:
Sadly not the first time. Invasion of the Body Snatchers has been remade a few times now. And it looks like The Blob will be remade for a third as well. And this is not counting the kinda remakes (same movie different title).
Yeah but this is Cronenberg remaking his own remake. Things are hitting some sort of ridiculous level of meta at this point.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Well, if anyone can pull this new one off, it's Cronenberg (y'know, considering he's already done it before...).

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
AceDiamond said:
squid5580 said:
sturryz said:
Yeah but this is Cronenberg remaking his own remake. Things are hitting some sort of ridiculous level of meta at this point.
Oh you meant that. Well that is just a pre emptive strike. He woke up one morning seen how every other horror flick that didn't need a remake is getting butchered while they make boatloads of cash and figured if anyone was going to do it why not him. No sense someone else getting rich from the sweat of his brow.

QuirkyTambourine

Jul 26, 2009
There can only be one....wait that's a different awful remake idea.

They're cheap cash ins, and they almost always turn a profit without doing anything special.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Read that and just kept thinking: Why?

The 1986 version is just fine as it is and I'm not sure how CGI or a bigger budget is really going to improve it.