Crucible and Gordon Freeman Saved My Life

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Crucible and Gordon Freeman Saved My Life

Gavin gives you a peek into "Crucible" and "Gordon Freeman Saved My Life".

Read Full Article

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
It is really nice to know that a person is enjoying his work.
I wish you many years of prosperity, Mr. Dunne.
May your music reach as many grateful listeners as possible.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
And here's the thing: I only recently started listening to Miracle of Sound, but you can bet Garrus' calibrations that I'm sticking around :)

(Started listening roundabout Joker's song, but I've checked out the earlier tracks and like them. If I had to pick a fave... damn. It'd be between Crucible and Joker's song... I think... But then there's Nord Mead...)

Ferrious

Made From Corpses
Jan 6, 2010
The worst part about listening to your music is being unable to decide if I prefer the silly stuff or the serious stuff. Some days I'm thinking we need more Necromorph Soup / Commander Shepard, then you go and release something like Crucible / Normandy.

Why must you make life so hard?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Getting your sarcasm on there, eh?

I approve.

Congrats on the year. Good on ya.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
The ending broke my heart and I can understand the upset about it. My other half walked into the room just as I finished it and she described the look on my face as "a little boy who just got told Santa doesn't exist".

Awwww.:(

I need to hug someone now.

This makes no sense. Gordon doesn't talk so he certainly doesn't sing.

Nor does he think in third person narrative.

Next time I play an FPS I have to do that: A running in-character but third-person narration. Full name every time.

"Gordon Freeman was walking down a hall. Gordon Freeman shot yet another weird alien thing. Gordon Freeman began questioning the life decisions that brought him to this point. Gordon Freeman was feeling uncomfortable in this damned suit."

Gordon Freeman Raped My Wife!

I'm going to presume you mean he beat her by a large margin in an online videogame.

So many possibilities. Gordon Freeman Causes Strife? Gordon Freeman Has a Knife? Gordon Freeman Plays the Fife? Or better yet, Gordon Freeman Plays Half-Life?

The ("Crucible") ending was a bit ... abrupt.

Artistic integrity.

I gotta admit, that got me. I was like "Wow, that was a lousy endin- oh! Well played!"

mrgbgonzalez

Un-Charismatic Donkey
Feb 20, 2011
VMK said:
It is really nice to know that a person is enjoying his work.
I wish you many years of prosperity, Mr. Dunne.
May your music reach as many grateful listeners as possible.
Couldn't have put it better myself.
I've been listening to The Miracle of Sound since its debut here at the Escapist and even when the songs are inspired by games I haven't played or just don't really like, they are prime gold... And have actually gotten me to spread the word and repost a few of them (talking a little but about the games that inspired them) on my guilds blog (shireforce.com. its all in portuguese, so... well, its there).

Its inpiring to see the passion you have for your work and the heart you put on all your songs. Wanna keep listening to many, many, MANY more in the years to come, for sure!

btw: My personal favourite is "Age of the Dragon". Power, melody, heart, emotion. This song rules a great big huge one!

LonelyWizzard

Mar 14, 2011
I get that you don't want to spoil things so you can't talk about specifics, but I'd be interested to know what you disliked so much about the ending. Speaking as a HUGE Mass Effect fan myself, I still just can't make sense of how an ending that I found so satisfying, if imperfect, has upset people so much. The vitriol and and anger is baffling, and to hear of how it affected you so much you "couldn't even play any other games or watch any movies for a whole week" is something I really just can't understand. I cried when Mordin died in my game, but I really just don't get how anyone could find the game's ending that repulsive and distressing.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
"This kind of "epic" 2 Steps To Hell Stuff is way over-used."

I completely disagree. I love "epic" instrumental songs and I personally would class them as one of my favourite types of music. That's probably why I love Crucible so much. I hope you attempt it again in the future :)

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
"a little boy who just got told Santa doesn't exist."

I know that expression. I think it took me the whole weekend (finished the game on a Friday) to stop wearing that expression.

Well anyway, congratulations Gavin. Your music is a breath of fresh air, and does more to prove that it isn't silly to care about games or any of that nonsense than almost everything else I've been introduced to. You deserve all the success you're getting and more. :)

Question: Are there any more collaborations on the horizon?

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
LonelyWizzard said:
I get that you don't want to spoil things so you can't talk about specifics, but I'd be interested to know what you disliked so much about the ending. Speaking as a HUGE Mass Effect fan myself, I still just can't make sense of how an ending that I found so satisfying, if imperfect, has upset people so much. The vitriol and and anger is baffling, and to hear of how it affected you so much you "couldn't even play any other games or watch any movies for a whole week" is something I really just can't understand. I cried when Mordin died in my game, but I really just don't get how anyone could find the game's ending that repulsive and distressing.
If you haven't already, go and watch the Tasteful, Understated Nerd Rage video on YouTube about it. If you can stomach a 40 minute long video from a man who does not have the most charismatic voice in the world, he says pretty much everything that needs to be said.

Garfy

Nov 6, 2009
LonelyWizzard said:
Speaking as a HUGE Mass Effect fan myself, I still just can't make sense of how an ending that I found so satisfying, if imperfect, has upset people so much. The vitriol and and anger is baffling, and to hear of how it affected you so much you "couldn't even play any other games or watch any movies for a whole week" is something I really just can't understand.
Absolutely, it was the RESPONSE to the ending that affected me far more than some mild disappointment over the ending itself.

NinjaDeathSlap said:
If you haven't already, go and watch the Tasteful, Understated Nerd Rage video on YouTube about it. If you can stomach a 40 minute long video from a man who does not have the most charismatic voice in the world, he says pretty much everything that needs to be said.
This is what I'm talking about, not content with disliking the ending you have to try and persuade others that their opinion is wrong.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
LonelyWizzard said:
Alternatively, go read Shamus Young's blog entry [http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=15395] about it.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
I didn't think Gordon Freeman Saved My Life was too repetitive. I liked the repeating chorus; it's empowering and awesome.

Your rock songs kick so much ass.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
TimeLord said:
"This kind of "epic" 2 Steps To Hell Stuff is way over-used."

I completely disagree. I love "epic" instrumental songs and I personally would class them as one of my favourite types of music. That's probably why I love Crucible so much. I hope you attempt it again in the future :)
Brofist. I can't stress to people how much stuff like Crucible, X-Ray Dog, and Two Steps From Hell gets me either pumped up and ready to take on the world or makes me nearly break down and cry. That genre, if you can call it that, reveals some of my strongest emotions. Gav, if you're reading this, we want you to do more stuff like Crucible at some point!

purifico

Oct 29, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Artistic integrity.

This was wonderful but I'd love to hear it with lyrics. Would you ever consider a version with lyrics?

Entitled whining.
I see what you did there...

Anyway, great work. Can't wait for more instrumentals from you and for more Mass Effect songs - those are your best imo, with Commander Shepard still being my all-time favourite Miracle of Sound song. Because 'you'll never be better than Commander Shepard'.

Can you write about Back In Time next?

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Nice read, and the comments section always gives me a smile. I wish I could make it to the Escapist Expo, but sadly I'm a broke bastard from the plains.

mightybozz

Aug 20, 2009
Always a pleasure to listen to and always a pleasure to read. It's kind of inspiring to hear a tale of someone genuinely enjoying and making money from their work. Congratulations to you sir, and may Miracle of Sound continue for many years :)

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
This makes no sense. Gordon doesn't talk so he certainly doesn't sing.

Nor does he think in third person narrative.
Well...

Anyway, I had no problem with 'Gordon Freeman Saved My Life'. Didn't find it repetitive at all. Then again, this is someone who'll infinite loop this:

And on my final note (for now anyway), I think guessing what I find to be the best MoS song is a no brainer. (here's a hint in case you need one [http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/574613_416594258352872_100000069047061_1629236_519737164_n.jpg])