Crucible and Gordon Freeman Saved My Life

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Really loved this song, and so many others of yours, would love to hear some longer ones though, even if it meant you released them less often.

You are pumping them out at a spectacular rate -winkwinknudgenudge-

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Perhaps it's my ears, but I don't think my headsets or cheap speakers are up to the task of playing Crucible. I get the feeling it's a deep rich piece, but I'm having trouble getting high quality sound out of my ear-buds.

Formica Archonis said:
So many possibilities. Gordon Freeman Causes Strife? Gordon Freeman Has a Knife? Gordon Freeman Plays the Fife? Or better yet, Gordon Freeman Plays Half-Life?
But he doesn't play Half-Life three apparently.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Congrat's, I take it you're finally settled in your new place (and final have a stable internet connection!)

Here's to many more years of classy music choices (raises beer!)

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
And it's all thanks to you guys - the Escapist community. So thank you from the bottom of my heart. You have made me a very happy little nerd.
D'aaaaw. We love you, Gav :D Hope there are many more years to come.
[Glad we know your stance on ME3's ending. Well said.] Loved page 3.

And here's to hoping I can make the show in September!

TLS14 said:
Gav, if you're reading this, we want you to do more stuff like Crucible at some point!
I second this!

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
BioWare is obviously evil, Gav. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
Seriously though, you are 99% of the reason why I joined the Escapist. May there be many more years of Miracle of Sound!

By the way, will you be making more gaming videos any time soon? I thought they were great fun.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Bah, knew that I'd come back here to say something else (never do really finish typing. Me and my big mouth [twitchy fingers?]).

All in all, I think this can sum up what I and others think of your work in general:

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Garfy said:
LonelyWizzard said:
Speaking as a HUGE Mass Effect fan myself, I still just can't make sense of how an ending that I found so satisfying, if imperfect, has upset people so much. The vitriol and and anger is baffling, and to hear of how it affected you so much you "couldn't even play any other games or watch any movies for a whole week" is something I really just can't understand.
Absolutely, it was the RESPONSE to the ending that affected me far more than some mild disappointment over the ending itself.

NinjaDeathSlap said:
If you haven't already, go and watch the Tasteful, Understated Nerd Rage video on YouTube about it. If you can stomach a 40 minute long video from a man who does not have the most charismatic voice in the world, he says pretty much everything that needs to be said.
This is what I'm talking about, not content with disliking the ending you have to try and persuade others that their opinion is wrong.
That's not what I'm doing. He asked why people hate the ending so much so I'm giving him an answer. I could have spent half an hour writing out all the things I hate about the ending, but when the video I mentioned says it all better than I could anyway it's easier just to direct him towards it. I never, nor have ever said that people who like the ending are 'wrong'. Maybe they interpret things differently to me? Maybe some of the stuff that bothers me so much just doesn't matter to them? And that's perfectly ok. All I did was provide an answer to his genuine inquiry, and if we can't even do that anymore without being accused of trying to force our opinions on people, then... urgh.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Nice to see both your loves finally came into one form. One form that happens to pay the bills! :D

Keep being awesome man.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
For some reason I missed 'Crucible' when it came out, but after hearing it just now, I have to say, you really nailed it. The fact that there were no lyrics, the subtle percussion, the ups and downs, magnificent.

LonelyWizzard

Mar 14, 2011
NinjaDeathSlap said:
LonelyWizzard said:
I get that you don't want to spoil things so you can't talk about specifics, but I'd be interested to know what you disliked so much about the ending. Speaking as a HUGE Mass Effect fan myself, I still just can't make sense of how an ending that I found so satisfying, if imperfect, has upset people so much. The vitriol and and anger is baffling, and to hear of how it affected you so much you "couldn't even play any other games or watch any movies for a whole week" is something I really just can't understand. I cried when Mordin died in my game, but I really just don't get how anyone could find the game's ending that repulsive and distressing.
If you haven't already, go and watch the Tasteful, Understated Nerd Rage video on YouTube about it. If you can stomach a 40 minute long video from a man who does not have the most charismatic voice in the world, he says pretty much everything that needs to be said.
Unfortunately, I can't really watch a 40 minute video (I have a crazy slow internet connection) but I have read several articles about what people found so objectionable. Some points I can see were genuine problems with the ending, but some stuff I just disagree with. One point that is too often inaccurately described as a plot hole is the case of the
{exploding relays destroying solar systems. Its never actually said that the relays will explode, they are simply rendered inactive.}

I'm sorry, I don't want to start some big fight in an innapropriate comments thread. I just find it interesting that people with a comparable emotional investment in the game have had such wildly different responses to one part of it. I also want to try an show people that while the "Retake Mass Effect" crowd are certainly vocal, they do not represent every hardcore Mass Effect fan.

Also, because I haven't said it yet, Miracle of Sound is awesome!!!!

Jul 9, 2008
LonelyWizzard said:
I don't want to turn this into a giant discussion about the ending, but I will say this: I hated the ending, but the point you brought up never especially bothered me, go figure. I guess that fell under suspension of disbelief for me.

Anyway, Gav, I remember when you were simply one of the more notable members of the community. It's so great to see all the good that's come your way.
Your music is good and you should feel good!

(btw, I had to reword that whole thing like 5 times so I didn't come off as a hipster, I-liked-it-before-it-was-cool type)

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Fun fact: should we decide to get hitched, my girlfriend and I have already decided one of our dances will be to "Joker's Song". Of course, we already sing it alongside each other (badly, we're neither of us musically inclined) during car trips but I figure the dance song is more important. Keep it up, man. We love it.

duck-man

Mar 17, 2009
Huh, for all the worry about your songs being repetitive I think it works for GFSML! Doesn't bug me at all, perhaps because I've listened to it so many times?
At any rate, no need for it to be Far less repetitive.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
TimeLord said:
"This kind of "epic" 2 Steps To Hell Stuff is way over-used."

I completely disagree. I love "epic" instrumental songs and I personally would class them as one of my favourite types of music. That's probably why I love Crucible so much. I hope you attempt it again in the future :)
This be true. I'm into that kind of stuff, and as far as I'm concerned, there can't be enough grand sweeping soundtrack-ish pieces in the world.

On a different note, Gav, you've been teasing a new Mass Effect song with Malukah in that one interview piece. Now that you did "Crucible" and Malu went on an made "Reignite" on her own, is that outta the window or will there be more?

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Glad to hear all this is working out for you and I'm hoping many more years of Miracles to come. Hopefully in 2029 when Episode 3 comes out we'll be able to hear how you do a song like "Gordon Freeman Saved My Life" about Half Life with the benefit of experience.

Oh and great as Crucible is to properly capture the feel of Mass Effect you really should have put a rap remix of the last verse of New Black Gold on the end :)

Edit: I'm being facetious here of course, but in all seriousness the more I think about the more I think it would have absolutely made the song for me if there was a slightly jarring musical influence from New Black Gold at the end.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
I've had countless messages from wonderful, interesting everyday people who the songs touched in some way.
...Didn't i tell you it will be like this ? ;]
Somehow i'm glad you're doing what you like and you're happy with that.