Crunch Magic Predicts Your Next Favorite Game

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Crunch Magic Predicts Your Next Favorite Game

Play this game about your old games to find new games.

There's an old saying: "You never truly know someone until you dangle their video games over a raging fire." Well, something like that, anyway; that's the version that a small team from Norman, Oklahoma must have had in mind when they created Crunch Magic. Waylon Flinn, founder of the website, describes it as "Pandora for games," though I don't remember Pandora ever threatening to destroy my favorite songs as a test of my devotion.

Here's how it works: visitors to the site log in with their Steam accounts, allowing Crunch Magic to peek at their game library. Users earn Zelda-style hearts for answering a handful of basic questions about their personality. Then, with an ominous warning of "This is going to hurt!" the site pulls a few games from your personal Steam library and slowly lowers them into an inferno - unless you save them by sacrificing your newly earned hearts. It's a simple system, but it can create some gut-wrenching choices. At one point, I died (yes, you can die in this personality quiz) because I couldn't stand to see Deus Ex go up in flames.

Completing each of the meta-game's three levels earns you a larger heart meter and a handful of recommended games (with links to their page on the Steam store, if you want to investigate further). The first two batches of games represent the most popular games from all users, while the final payoff is a set of games chosen specifically to fit your personality. For those curious, this list is compiled by using established psychology practices to find games that were saved by other players with similar personality profiles to your own.

The site was created on the principle that great games are great because they resonate with us on a personal level. "Most games are made to appeal to everyone," says the site description. "Because of that they feel like they were made for no one in particular. We're tired of the same old trash. We want to find games made just for us."

If you feel like putting your taste in games to a trial by fire, you can head over to the beta version of the site [http://www.crunchmagic.com/] to give it a go. Just remember to use those hearts sparingly - you'll need them.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.crunchmagic.com/]

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
I don't suppose that, without a Steam library, I can't just tell them my collection of video games and go from there? Because, well, I don't have a Steam library. Or Steam, for that matter.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
It called me amoral and serious. :( Also, it didn't sem to work on IE, at least for me. Worked on Firefox alright.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
The_Darkness said:
I don't suppose that, without a Steam library, I can't just tell them my collection of video games and go from there? Because, well, I don't have a Steam library. Or Steam, for that matter.
Nope, you can only sign in through steam. And it's in beta for a reason, I got a bunch of games that I wouldn't think I would enjoy.
On more on topic, it seemed pretty interesting, went through it and the personality I got was 'amoral and serious' which is true, I guess. Games seem to be slightly inaccurate though, possible it didn't give me enough direction why I was saving it. Was I saving it cause it was good, or was I saving it cause I will play it again(or is playing)

Post script:
It also didn't use all 86 games, and more it seems cause it was including mods. So I can't say it was accurate, cause it was consistently selecting the games I didn't play

Full

Sep 3, 2012
It says I am untried and amoral. I'd like to think that.

It also recommended me 3 JRPGS. I've barely ever played a JRPG. Maybe it's telling me to discover new things? Clever, you sadistic browser game you.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
"You cared too much. Try again."

I guess it's time to close my Steam account. Gaming is not for me.

EDIT: Oh, I get it. I 'saved' too many games. It seems that I am too much an old dog nowadays. I had no idea what was going on, which sums up my experience half the time in any modern 'Google GUI' or many of the 'indy' games I have tried.

But, yeah, I get what I did wrong now. Not going back into the fray though.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
It said I was anxious and vulnerable. I can't disagree with that at all. As for recommended games, it recommended a game that I already own, two that look interesting, and one that just looks dumb.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
Apparently i'm Stoic and moderate

The game suggestions, looked interesting... some of which i had seen before but decided against

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Oh wow the game told me there was a Call of Cthulhu game for the PC...this I did not know, really looking forward to trying it out. Though the rest of the recommendations are pretty abysmal...basically games I would never play.
Also I'm apparently "unpretentious and reserved".

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
Feisty and amoral...

I would like to think that just because I didn't save most of the games I'm not "amoral". I mean, I didn't answer questions in a way that, at least to me, seemed amoral.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
When I have 700+ games on my Steam library, just what in the hell could this recommend to me?

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
No wonder it's in beta. A retarded chimp throwning ninja stars off the moon could hit better choices at the local gamestop as my "next favourite game" than this piece of shit software. It came up with games I detest. Keep trying though, clever idea.

The Last Melon

Mar 19, 2012
Anybody else having a problem where they couldn't save anything on the second round? I was clicking like mad on Bioshock and it got burnt anyway...