Crush Bungie at Halo and Win Some Meat

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

The steaks are high in this competition.

Last year, Bungie gracefully bid adieu to its wildly successful Halo series with the 343 Industries [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8101-Review-Halo-Reach]. However, the developer still maintains a very close relationship with the Halo community - and is holding a 24-hour Halo: Reach play-with-the-devs-marathon this July 7th ("Bungie Day.")

Here's the real meat of the deal, though: Bungie has put something savory on the line in a community challenge. If any team of players can defeat Bungie's four-man teams in a round of Slayer by a margin of 20 kills or more (that is, hitting 50 kills when Bungie has 30 kills or fewer), the Halo studio will physically mail you not one but two Omaha steaks [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha_Steaks].

This is a pretty delicious little challenge. Not only do players get the incredibly rare opportunity to try and flank the folks who made the game in the first place, but if they win, they get a nifty meal out of it, too! Still, I'm sure that Bungie's teams won't just lay down and let players filet them, so you'll have to work for your reward. Any steaks remaining at the end will be grilled and eaten on webcam by the Bungie victors - such is the agony of defeat.

Unfortunately, the steak offer only applies to US residents only. Anyone outside of the States who completes the challenge will be getting a gift card instead. Don't worry, guys - it isn't that Bungie has a particular beef with you, it's that it's one of those "really boring, but seriously necessary legal affairs."

Bungie is doing more than a few community events for its final Halo-focused Bungie Day, but the "Steaktacular" event is really the prime cut of the lot.

If you can manage to really grill a Bungie team and win a steak of your own, then I have just one thing to say to you, sir: Well done.

(Bungie vs. the World [http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=steaktakular])

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
So I'm pretty sure you just stole every possible pun people could have made in the comments. Nice. :p

John Funk said:
Unfortunately, the steak offer only applies to US residents only. Anyone outside of the States who completes the challenge will be getting a gift card instead. Don't worry, guys - it isn't that Bungie has a particular beef with you, it's that it's one of those "really boring, but seriously necessary legal affairs."
Won't stop people from whining about how Bungie hates other countries. That's what people always do when something is one country only.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Round 2 baby and we're getting payback this year. Gettin' my team together and prowling matchmaking that day.

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
Aw man...Not only am I not good at Halo but I live in Canada.
That is definitely one of the manliest challenge/rewards I've ever heard of. I'm excited just to know about this! XD

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
John Funk said:

Last year, Bungie gracefully bid adieu to its wildly successful Halo series with the 343 Industries [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8101-Review-Halo-Reach]. However, the developer still maintains a very close relationship with the Halo community - and is holding a 24-hour Halo: Reach play-with-the-devs-marathon this July 7th ("Bungie Day.")

Here's the real meat of the deal, though: Bungie has put something savory on the line in a community challenge. If any team of players can defeat Bungie's four-man teams in a round of Slayer by a margin of 20 kills or more (that is, hitting 50 kills when Bungie has 30 kills or fewer), the Halo studio will physically mail you not one but two Omaha steaks [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha_Steaks].

This is a pretty delicious little challenge. Not only do players get the incredibly rare opportunity to try and flank the folks who made the game in the first place, but if they win, they get a nifty meal out of it, too! Still, I'm sure that Bungie's teams won't just lay down and let players filet them, so you'll have to work for your reward. Any steaks remaining at the end will be grilled and eaten on webcam by the Bungie victors - such is the agony of defeat.

Bungie is doing more than a few community events for its final Halo-focused Bungie Day, but the "Steaktacular" event is really the prime cut of the lot.

If you can manage to really grill a Bungie team and win a steak of your own, then I have just one thing to say to you, sir: Well done.

(Bungie vs. the World [http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=steaktakular])

So... Many... Puns.
OT: This is hilarious. Kinda wish I owned the Halo games now, it would be a lot of fun. Bungie seem like cool developers, pity I don't really like their games.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
Aw man I'd love to go for this, but I don't play with anyone that near my skill level - and while I usually go positive they don't.

And even if I can't have the meat, I wouldn't mind a gift card.

I'm also really impressed by the amount Bungie cared for their community - and this shows it. Hats off to bungie.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
scifidownbeat said:
So many knee-slapping meat puns...

They can't really mail a steak to someone, can they? Perhaps simply a t-shirt with a picture of a steak on it.
Of COURSE you can actually mail steak to someone.

That why Dry Ice come with it.

Enrathi

Aug 10, 2009
brunothepig said:
John Funk said:

So... Many... Puns.
OT: This is hilarious. Kinda wish I owned the Halo games now, it would be a lot of fun. Bungie seem like cool developers, pity I don't really like their games.
You missed flank in the third paragraph.

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
Mr. Funk, you are truly a man after my own heart, must say, this article truly mooved me.

NightlyNews

Mar 25, 2011
scifidownbeat said:
So many knee-slapping meat puns...

They can't really mail a steak to someone, can they? Perhaps simply a t-shirt with a picture of a steak on it.
I'm guessing they went with omaha steaks because most of their business is already shipping steaks.

My mom gets a box from them every month with tons of steaks in it. It's like the milkman only better.

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
This article was puntastic.

Anyway, this would be really cool, but I don't really play on LIVE, and I'd probably get burnt anyway.