Crush Your Enemies, Even When They're Not Online, in War of Legends

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Crush Your Enemies, Even When They're Not Online, in War of Legends

The makers of RuneScape try to muster a more mature audience by publishing a free Eastern-themed MMORTS called War of Legends playable in your browser.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Certainly an intresting concept but it seems to remind me or another, certain game where you do the exact same thing but in a medievil setting (The name escapes me at the moment, but, I know it looks similar)

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
That sounds a lot like Tribal Wars. Actually, that sounds exactly like Tribal Wars. Except Chinese.

Oh, one small mistake I noticed: "Just like RuneScape, War of Legends is a completely free, Flash game"
Runescape is a Java game, not flash.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Hrm... if we could make an Escapist alliance made up of all escapist members then we could make an unstoppable army of mega-dooooooooom!

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
So it is pretty much exactly like every other free to play MMORTS out there, just set in a different period of history? I'll pass

Psychemaster

Everything in Moderation
Aug 18, 2008
There're a number of such games already out there on the market, yes...

...but I have faith. As a latent Runescape addict, I know what Jagex can do :)

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
sound to hardcore for my taste, i do enjoy those types of games, im in the top 100 in Nile online, but while that games focuses more on trading and establishing contacts this game seems more focused on war, and that what have turned me off other similar games, that my city and all my work can be destroyed completely if i choose to take a weekend in the country, we have a lovely huge house on this little island that my family share with 4 other families, I probably wont be playing this game.

sniperworm

Apr 16, 2009
I'd be willing to give it a go if the site wasn't insisting I put in my parents e-mail address, I'm pretty sure I don't need their permission at the age of 22 :/

DM master

Feb 21, 2009
Ill give it a try.

Hopefully they wont change out all the good things like they did in runescape..

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
While it doesn't look all bad, if I wanted to spend hours on a small game online I'd just go back to Kingdom of Loathing...

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
There's already a bunch of similar games out there, and Jagex didn't even make it themselves?
Think I'll just let this one pass.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
While Jagex does fit in with news, I'm more concerned with a review. I'd like to know if the game is good or not. Anyone played it yet? Even better if the Escapist would do an official review, or at least let a guest submit one.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
I played Evony religiously for about 3 weeks (think 8-10 hours a day) and it was a fun experience until it became obvious that late game combat and tactics were completely broken. Even then it was hella fun and a much deeper experience than it seems on the surface. It will be interesting to see Jagex's take on the genre.

Lol, my alliance got tired of our leader telling us not to farm or start wars with weaker alliances (we were rank 2 of several hundred and had a very friendly relationship with the #1 alliance). So a bunch of us got together and said, "F(*^ THAT", and in the course of a couple hours held an insurrection, overthrew our leader, and created and even stronger alliance and proceeded to ruin everyone else's experience!

So yeah, if Jagex can improve upon the formula I would definitely check it out.

-edit-

LMAO! Looking at the overworld screen shots, the overworld layout and resource/hero system look almost exactly the same as Evony's!

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
I don't have much experience with MMORTS, so can someone explain how they make their money? Do they use adds in game or do they charge for extras?