Cryptic Pisses Off Star Trek Online Early Adopters With Sale

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Cryptic Pisses Off Star Trek Online Early Adopters With Sale

This Friday, Atari began a promotion which gave $10 off the purchase price of Star Trek Online [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Online-Pc/dp/B002673XJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279053546&sr=1-1] and offered more free time in game than those who bought it at launch.

By all accounts, Star Trek Online had a pretty decent launch. Cryptic announced over a million accounts [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98116-Star-Trek-Online-Reaches-One-Million-Accounts] were created, although it was later revealed that number included both STO and Champions Online. Still, the Star Trek MMOG was original and I can heartily report that the game is fun and populated a month after launch. But how do you know that your game is popular and has reached the big time? One indicator might be a scandal on your forums.

Granted, there might be a legitimate complaint here. On Friday, Atari.com started a promotion which offered Star Trek Online for $10 cheaper than it cost at launch and offering an additional 60 free days playtime with that purchase. Many players who shelled out the full price for standard and collectors editions have complained on Cryptic's forums that they feel gypped, especially since the game had only been out for 4 weeks.

"Giving new clients a longer free period, within a month of the game opening, than the clients who bought the game at launch, is bad customer service," said user branix on Cryptic's official forums [http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=2263366&postcount=111]. "Giving new clients a longer free period to adjust to the changes, improvements and bug fixes than the people who have been living through them since the start is bad customer service."

On Monday, the promotion removed the 60 free days, but kept the $10 discount. Then Cryptic said that 60 free days were never a part of the promotion and wouldn't be honored, which was later rescinded by Phoxe. Said community rep Phoxe [http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=2262860&postcount=1], "I've heard many voicing concerns that we will not be honoring this sale for anyone who took advantage of it this weekend. This is not the case at all, and anyone who decided to take advantage of the offer will receive what they purchased, as advertised." So if you bought STO before the promotion was changed, then you're fine but now you can only get the game ten dollars cheaper.

Through it all, vocal complainers have been banned from the forums with their threads closed, which has contributed to the community backlash. Cryptic has stated that they are aware of their customer's complaints, and asked its community to consolidate discussion in one thread. That one thread [http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=130549] contained 2255 comments on 226 pages before it was closed by Phoxe yesterday.

You'd think by the 24th century we'd be able to solve problems like this.

Source: VG247 [http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=2293507&postcount=2078]

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
A bit of a jerk move, but hey, shit happens. Cry me a river.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
The early adopters got perks for pre-ordering that new customers didn't

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
$10 off the game now? Might actually take a look at that now seeing as the long cried for "patch" is coming soon

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
Nurb said:
The early adopters got perks for pre-ordering that new customers didn't
Pre-ordering only allowed us to play during the head-start time (less than a week before the official launch), all the other perks are still available depending on which vendor you buy them from. That head-start wasn't worth $10.

Nonetheless, the money is spent, the game is fun, and Cryptic is not going to refund $10 to everyone that purchased the game beforehand, so there's no use in me complaining.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Game stuff aside, banning users for complaining (or disagreeing/attempting to contradict the corporate line) seems like a good way to kill off your community.

Locking their threads fine, but banning large numbers of people and pretending they were never there gets noticed.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Kind of a dick thing to do, but not new. A lot of things go down in price as time goes on, but usually they wait a bit longer to lower the price.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Game stuff aside, banning users for complaining (or disagreeing/attempting to contradict the corporate line) seems like a good way to kill off your community.

Locking their threads fine, but banning large numbers of people and pretending they were never there gets noticed.
Yeah, ironic, isn't it? Censorship on internet forums tends to backlash preeeety quickly, heh.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
Almost anything you buy will be cheaper sometime after you bought it. Some sooner than others. C'est la vie.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
As if you needed MORE reason to piss people off beyond the fact the game didn't measure up to your hype. (Not that THAT part was a surprise.) Although ONLY getting the game for $10 less with no extras isn't much to complain about in and of itself.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Just give them 60 days, too. And some kinda of in-game stuff to make up for the $10.

hansari

May 31, 2009
The 60 days is a big deal, but now thats off the table, $10 is nothing.

Least not in context of people getting ripped off. The iPhone getting significantly cheaper and better than version 1.0 after a few months is what comes to my mind...

Warstratigier

Mar 28, 2009
erm wait a minute ain't these bans referring to those "I quit" posts in which the unhappy bunch think they have the right to force a "my way or I will troll the #$^$ outta you and anyone that enjoys it highway" type complaint, or flaming for short. That's not what i call a backlash, that's what I call Internet Negativity 101. They will continue to do it, banned or not.

Would you honestly keep people here that would willingly bash anyone on the spot to make you feel like they feel, even though there may not be a justification for that, again and again? Reserve it for the devs only, don't make everyone hear it.

Edit: .....ok touched a little of topic, not the "i quit" stuff, but regarding what i said bout Internet Negativity 101, I still stand on that.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
theownerer said:
that sucks i got pretty pissed when l4d2 went 25% off the week after it came out.
This is what I was going to say. I bought L4D2 like 5 or 6 days after release, it went on sale 2 days later for 25% off. Needless to say, I was PISSED. I would have waited had I known. Who puts a brand new game on sale for 25% off a week after it comes out?

deathyepl

May 9, 2008
Yup... banning your already upset users from your forums, THAT'S really going to help settle things down.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
obisean said:
theownerer said:
that sucks i got pretty pissed when l4d2 went 25% off the week after it came out.
This is what I was going to say. I bought L4D2 like 5 or 6 days after release, it went on sale 2 days later for 25% off. Needless to say, I was PISSED. I would have waited had I known. Who puts a brand new game on sale for 25% off a week after it comes out?
Well Valve, for one.