Cryptic Unveils Second Star Trek Online Timeline Video

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Cryptic Unveils Second Star Trek Online Timeline Video

[gametrailers=58558]​
Star Trek Online [http://crypticstudios.com/] timeline video, exploring the events that lead up to the current conflict between the Federation and the Klingons in the upcoming spaceborne MMOG.

A brief recap: As we discovered last month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95499-Cryptic-Releases-Star-Trek-Online-Timeline-Video], all is not well in the Alpha Quadrant. The Romulan Empire has been riven by a civil war, leaving it open to Klingon attack; a border dispute between the Klingons and the Gorn has erupted into all-out war as well. Trying to restore peace, the Federation leaders talked and talked and talked; but nothing could stem the avalanche. It was a pretty intense build-up and certainly piqued my interest in the game.

The second video doesn't have quite the same zing to it but it does employ an appropriately Star Trek-ish plot contrivance (which I will leave unspoiled) to draw the Klingon-Gorn war to a close, bringing the two races along with the Nausicaans and Orion under the banner of the "Greater Klingon Faction." With the Gorn situation finally wrapped up and their warrior blood still burning, the Klingons decide to try their luck with the Federation, ultimately sparking the conflict that awaits players when they sign up for the game.

I'm not entirely sure how all this fits with Star Trek [http://www.startrek.com/] canon, nor what my less nerdy friends will think of me for actually saying "Star Trek canon" without a hint of irony; questions about the other major galactic players, like the Borg, the Cardassians and whatever remains of the Romulan Empire, also hang in the air. But the Klingons and the Federation are finally throwing down and at the end of the day, isn't that what really matters? Star Trek Online is currently scheduled for release in early 2010.

Source: GameTrailers.com [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/the-future-star-trek/58558]

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
There was a good comment on the gametrailers page, about how with the whole Greater Klingon Alliance, the galaxy has basically just been split into WoW style Alliance vs. Horde. Real disappointment there, I'd kind of just like to go rogue and do whatever I want but that seems really unlikely.
If you were playing as the "real" Federation you'd get the thrill of asking permission before you did anything, just like in the TV shows.
I won't buy it, but it does sound okay.

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
Dunno if this would be a good idea or not, though I will admit that there are enough Trekkies out there that it could fill a 2nd world country (me not really included, since I don't have enough love for the show to be a fan), that the game itself should provide enough fun for all.

Still, it's disappointing because this is a series where there should be more than one force out there, so a three-four-fiveway battle could indeed happen.

Still, my only disinterest to it is if you're not a Klingon, you for sure want to be a Federation Captain, screaming out "KHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN" all the time, or sit there stoically because that's what you do.

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
Um, a single Klingon was able to defend himself against THREE Species 8472 creatures? Not only that, actually KILL two of them and CAPTURE the third?

I call bullshit.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Kuliani said:
Um, a single Klingon was able to defend himself against THREE Species 8472 creatures? Not only that, actually KILL two of them and CAPTURE the third?

I call bullshit.
It's the Worf effect. A single Klingon is massively more effect than multiple ones, ESPECIALLY when he is integral to the plot.

Not to mention it didn't say they were 8472: it just said something generic about shape-shifters. If this took place after the Voyager returned, everyone would already know about the 8472, so I don't really see how they would be unrecognizable.

Besides, 8472 looks like this:

Which is noticeably different from the picture from the game, even if they're both tripedal. Maybe tri-pedal-ness is a common characteristic of shape-shifters in general?

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
[/quote]
Kuliani said:

I call bullshit.
It could happen. Also, considering he's a house leader, I'm only guessing he must be pretty handy with a bat'leth (or a mek'leth if that's more your thing). Still, there is nothing said of the physical prowess of these alien creatures in this video. They could be the scrawny nerds of the Star Trek universe for all we know....

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
scotth266 said:
Kuliani said:

I call bullshit.
It's the Worf effect. A single Klingon is massively more effect than multiple ones, ESPECIALLY when he is integral to the plot.

Not to mention it didn't say they were 8472: it just said something generic about shape-shifters. If this took place after the Voyager returned, everyone would already know about the 8472, so I don't really see how they would be unrecognizable.

Besides, 8472 looks like this:

Which is noticeably different from the picture from the game, even if they're both tripedal. Maybe tri-pedal-ness is a common characteristic of shape-shifters in general?
True, they should have been able to mention it, but if you look at the video closely, it REALLY looks like Species 8472. Here's a YouTube copy since GameTrailers is taking forever to load for me:

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
For how close the Klingons are to the Feds throughout TNG and the TNG TMP era I really find it hard to swallow the Klingons brazenly attacking or making such demands of the Federation, particularly with how they supported each other through the Dominion War.

TimeLord75

Sep 3, 2009
SilverHammerMan said:
If you were playing as the "real" Federation you'd get the thrill of asking permission before you did anything, just like in the TV shows.
I won't buy it, but it does sound okay.
Oh, c'mon--it's Feds vs Klingons, old school! This isn't Jean-Luc's Starfleet, it's Jim Kirk's. Call Starfleet for permission/advice, sure...but while you're waiting for a reply, DAMN THE TORPEDOES!!! (Oh, and make sure to grab the Hot Chick of the Week while you're at it.)

2/10 cannot come fast enough.