Crysis 2 Dev Urges Fans Not to Pirate the Game

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
Woem said:
endnuen said:
Pirates have actually done some good for pc gaming, they forced the prices to drop. That is not the case with PS3 games for instance.. Is there any reasonable explanation for the steep prices console games have? No.
Perhaps the price of console games don't drop because the publishers are making less money on the PC games.
Following that, then they should drop console game prices in order to make more sales.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Whintek: "please please please don't take 60 seconds to discover that we are trying to sell you garbage"

dead_but_smiling

Apr 14, 2009
I used to download big name games when I was young and poor, in order to get my necessary fix of gaming while avoiding selling internal organs to finance the hobby. The pirated versions were buggy, sometimes dangerous and almost always made me fear for the state of my computer after installing/deinstalling

Nowadays, I actually have money to spend on games I like, showing my support for the devs. I still get bugs, glitches and the occasional system crash once in a while, since games are not always able to handle all possible OS/hardware setups, but hey - at least I can _hope_ someone is going to fix the issues, right?

As for Crysis 2, I believe Crysis fans are going to buy the full game when it's out, especially if the leaked version makes them hungry for the real thing. Maybe Crytek will up the stakes by adding some last-minute coolness to the game before it gets released?

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
When they start begging people not to pirate you know it's desperate times. Total last resort stance. I've seen promotional pre-release CDs come to my radio station with similar statements on them. Predict job losses at Crytek soon.

Numb1lp

Jan 21, 2009
I think they took a good approach in trying to just reason with gamers. Remember, we do have some sense. (At least some of us do)

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
I have a few buddies who pirated the game and they all still plan to buy it as the pirated version is very obviously an old build, for one the character speech is broken, and for the other it looks like a PS2 game. EA should not worry, those who are interested in the game will not swap the pirated version for the final product.

GasparNolasco

Dec 13, 2010
I don't get it. Halo Reach final version also leaked a month before it's release and nobody said anything... Just last week MvC3 was already on the torrent site lists. People just tend to go batshit over PC pirates, there's a lot of piracy on the console market too.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Gee, maybe they should stop advertising the pirated copy?

What a joke... Are they serious? I didn't even know there was a pirated copy of Crysis 2 so early, but I do now, through legitimate news channels. Imagine that. They have the balls to keep the DRM in too, even though they freely advertise to the world that a pirated copy is available for download.

Dimwits.

Grimrider6

Aug 27, 2008
A smart company knows that they can't stop piracy, and also that treating it like war (with DRM being the weapon) is only going to alienate paying customers, without significantly stopping the problem.

I see here a company that does it right. Talk to your customers. Appear human to them. Relate to them. Explain that you all worked very hard to make a game you're passionate about, and that you'd really appreciate people buying the product once its released. Don't get indignant, don't rant and rave, don't rage, and don't start slinging accusations. Just make an honest appeal to the people of the Interwebs to give you their support.

I'm not interested in Crysis 2 personally, but if I was a customer, this reaction by the company honestly makes me want to avoid pirating. Or at the very least, ensure that I buy a copy from the store once it comes out. If Crytek keeps this message in circulation until release day, I'm willing to bet their release sales will turn out just fine.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
First mistake: Telling everyone about it. I didn't even know until now. Good work Crytek!

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Crytek's stance would look much better if they would just release that PC demo they promised us. As it is, it's hard to feel all that sorry for them. People need to know if the game is going to work for them. Besides, a buggy beta should never be a decent substitute for the finished product.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Judging by the videos on youtube, the singleplayer is looking awesome. Much more detailed and intriguing than the first one. If anything, it'll convince the "Crysis is just a tech-demo" naysayers into preordering.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
It's not really going to affect the sales negatively, the beta leak isn't close to what the real release will be, SWIM has had to work around a lot of the issues from the game being incomplete. SWIM also feels that the game's good enough to purchase, having played the incomplete copy. I did intend to buy it, and I still will, SWIM has just confirmed that it's great. Multiplayer's also a saving grace for these games, games such as Black Ops get the singleplayer pirated the shit out of, but then they tend to buy the full game so they can play legitimate multiplayer. If the multi's good on Crysis, there's no problem.

throumbas

Sep 6, 2009
Maybe instead of crying about piracy they should have prevented the leak like 99% of other companies. Its not mine or anyone else's fault that they have zero security in there.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Now... I don't want to sound like "That guy".
But there might be a chance that this is, in fact, a glorified, heavy-pr demo.

How far fetched is it to "leak" a playable, but not complete game, urge people NOT to download it.
But in the mean time the playable "beta" is awesome enough to hype the game.

Not saying this is the case, but it would sure beat the hell of a "edgy" EA type of advertising campaign.

CAPTCHA: schoolmate ticum

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Indeed, thanks to pirates our game prices have been lowered, so I will go and buy Crysis 2 for X360. That said, its mainly due to the previously published on XBL demo of the game though. I deem its great MP fun.