Crysis 2 Dev Urges Fans Not to Pirate the Game

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
endnuen said:
Pirates have actually done some good for pc gaming, they forced the prices to drop. That is not the case with PS3 games for instance.. Is there any reasonable explanation for the steep prices console games have? No.
Yes.

Console manufacturers typically lose money on the actual systems they sell, and that cost is recovered when a game is put on their platform.

PCs have don't have that worry since no one's in charge, so the prices are lower.

OT: I'm not even going to watch leaked gameplay footage.

It's fucking disgraceful.

Freemon

Nov 18, 2009
I collapsed to the temptation of trying it and I downloaded it.
I tried it for 15 minutes and then I stopped. I couldn't wait any longer, I had to pre-order the thing. I haven't had so much fun with a game in many years like I had for 15 minutes this morning. The first sequence got me hooked instantly. I'm not gonna play more because I don't want to spoil the experience and yes, I fell ashamed for downloading it. However, I probably wouldn't have cared bout it otherwise.

Crytek deserves my money and I recommend the game to all of my friends. I wish Crytek sell very well on the PC market because they do deserve it. Crysis 2 will be a blast! I can't wait to get my hands on it!

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
Why so serious? If you're making such a great game, then what's there to worry about...

Arec Balrin

Feb 26, 2010
I think most people who pirated the first game did so in order to get information which Crytek was not freely giving: they were repeatedly dishonest about how the game would perform and the supposed benefits of DirectX 10 versus DirectX 9, even going so far as to lock-out features for DX9 which were little-different from their DX10 counterparts in the improvement they gave but with a much less performance hit. All Crytek had to do was be honest.

If when Crysis 2 is released and PC players raise concerns about performance again(or console players who may realise they don't actually have the supposed fidelity that the '360' pictures we've seen so far have been showing), I expect piracy will bloon again. EA and Crytek will continue to not find themselves at all culpable in the mess.

theownerer

Aug 9, 2009
kind of feel like this isnt really helpful. People who were going to download it probly still will and they're just spreading the news that you can pirate it already.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
I don't get why a leaked early version is any bigger news than a pirate version on the launch day (which will be available). Those who wanna buy the game will buy it, even if they pirate it now to play it sooner (the few that would trade off playing a complete game for playing a game a month earlier).

Unless it's shit of course.

In which case the developers don't deserve to get paid for it anyway imo, if they complain about that, they're just complaining that they lost the money from the people who hated the game and shouldn't have had to pay for that crap in the first place. Unreturnability of games is not something I'll cheer for.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Fair enough, it actually doesn't seem to be a big boom in torrent sites, being buggy and unfinished probably puts people off.
And since it does rely heavily on multiplayer people who want the full experience will buy it anyway.

But I am dieing to know how they even lost a copy to the internets.

Sud0_x

Dec 16, 2009
http://www.destructoid.com/and-you-wonder-why-developers-hate-pc-gamers--193957.phtml
I wanted to slap this guy in the face so hard upon reading this article.
Yeah it's downloaders fault for clamouring and clawing over an early developer build..
Ohnowait not everyone on the internet is downloading this game all at once, in fact I just checked and *JAW DROP* HUNDREDS of people have completed torrents of the game.

Never mind that somebody from inside Crytek stole the fucking game, probably by the astronomically stupid idea of sharing it with someone they weren't supposed to (which is what piracy is, people).

And oh yes, he thinks that because of this developers should drop the PC platform entirely. If people thought legitimate customers were being punished before fucking watch out if this genius' ideas start catching on!

Honestly, it was going to happen sooner or later, I know one of Crytek's reasons for going multi-platform with this release was piracy and I feel bad for them, I really do. But let's face it, we've all come to expect this kind of thing. Buy the game, don't be lame, whatever.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
endnuen said:
Pirates have actually done some good for pc gaming, they forced the prices to drop. That is not the case with PS3 games for instance.. Is there any reasonable explanation for the steep prices console games have? No.
Console games have to pay licensing fees to Sony/Microsoft. Since the consoles themselves are sold for less than the hardware is worth, Sony/Microsoft have to regain that money through licensing fees for all games distributed to their consoles.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
NLS said:
endnuen said:
Console games have to pay licensing fees to Sony/Microsoft. Since the consoles themselves are sold for less than the hardware is worth, Sony/Microsoft have to regain that money through licensing fees for all games distributed to their consoles.
How come games cost the same via PSN as they do retail? Sometimes even more.
That argument of license is bollocks.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I have my paranoid thoughts about this, but at the same time, I don't care much... I won't be surprised if Crytek leaves the PC and goes to the 360, giving us shit console ports...

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Brilliant move from Crytek. The PR department really earned their wings with this stunt.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
I cannot wait to play this, when it is officially released. I want the demo first to make sure my computer can handle it first. I'm usually pretty blas'e when it comes to people stuff, but I really hope that people who do download it will go out and purchase the game, as Crytek have been pretty good to us PC gamers. It would be a shame to lose another of our ranks.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
Pirating in DRM protest can sometimes be good. (Assassins Creed II)

This, on the other hand, is just ridiculous.
Pirates, were is your dignity?

loadingdread

Oct 8, 2010
I think they should stop crying. I know about 5 or 6 people now who had no interest in buying the game, got the leaked bata and now have it pre ordered.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
A leak two month before release, so one of your very own employees put it on there, or left a suitcase with the cds on the bus, because no one else has the game yet. And you're blaming pirates?

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Just out of curiosity few days ago I visited couple of torrent sites and Crysis 2 wasn't even downloaded that much. Either people haven't heard about it or they just aren't that interested (maybe because it's very hardware intense). Anyway constantly talking about leaked version sure won't help them.