Crysis 2 Dev Urges Fans Not to Pirate the Game

Vendayn

Aug 18, 2003
I played the beta.

Was not going to buy it, wasn't really even interested

Now I'm buying at release

Elemental

Apr 4, 2009
Matter of a fact... I actually bought it BECUASE of the leaked beta.
And it's not actually when one of thier employees leaks it :S

Mogule

Mar 17, 2009
I'm very VERY confused. Did they expect this not to happen? If it didn't, in two months when it was released and then pirated, would I have seen a freaking article about it? How about a message on their (developers) front page? Something tells me I wouldn't have. *sigh* This seems ridiculous. Most (if not all) of the people pirating it knew it would be available on the release day. Since this is an incomplete build, I assume the full game will be uploaded then too. However, I strongly believe the pirates wouldn't have bought this game anyhow for whatever their justification. This is playing the victim Crytek! and I, for one, will not fall for it.

To put it bluntly (very bluntly): Take your knocks and shut your mouth.

Piracy isn't right. But it's practically unavoidable. If someone can tell me of one unpirated game due to it's amazing programing, then this argument is null and I apologize. However, it's a FORSEEABLE unfortunate problem. Whether it's two months before release day, or the day of, I can assure you it will happen.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Well at the least they asked nicely. It unfortunate that i have absolutely no interest in the franchise or the company now that they have so transparently shown their allegiance to the pad players.

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
leaked version is DX9 only.
why bother to pirate crappy version of games who's series claim to fame is largely graphics?
i mean, really!

FinalFrog

Jun 1, 2009
I wasn't planning on buying the game before this, Dragon Age 2 was going to bleed me mostly dry in March already, but after this I'm sorely tempted to pick it up if only to show that Piracy doesn't always ruin the sales of a game.

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
I am gutted for Crytek

I wont pirate the game, i hope people have the same respect as I do

GJ Crytek, thanks for showing the world just how far gaming visuals have come over the years, I will buy the game for this reason alone :D

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
bit_crusherrr said:
Not being funny but whos going to play a buggy beta and think "I'll cancel my pre-order now cos there's no point in buying it". I'm still buying the game, and those who wouldn't of bought the game will still not buy the game. And as for Crysis being pirated a lot, that didn't stop the game from selling 3 million copies did it?
I'm with you. I was totally on board with Crytek's response, which seems to be reasonable compared to most game companies response to piracy these days, but when I found out it's a beta version that's been released, why are they expecting the game not to be bought by people? It's like Hollywood arguing that I'm not going to buy their movies because I can watch a crappy quality video on Youtube by waiting several hours for each individual part to finish streaming on my crappy computer. WTF man? WTF?

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
odBilal said:
How is it possible that it gets leaked that early? It has to be someone from Crytek who put it on the internet. I mean did it went gold already? Is it being pressed on CD's? How can someone from the outside get access to the game?
I heard a while ago that usually games that leaked are from review copies. There is also the possibility that someone didnt like their boss very much. Could be a copy that was shipped out to a retail store got yanked.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
with some people getting the idea into their heads that Crytek was blaming PC gamers for the leak.
To be fair, with lines like
Piracy continues to damage the PC packaged goods market and the PC development community.
it's difficult not to jump to that conclusion.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Delusibeta said:
Logan Westbrook said:
with some people getting the idea into their heads that Crytek was blaming PC gamers for the leak.
To be fair, with lines like
Piracy continues to damage the PC packaged goods market and the PC development community.
it's difficult not to jump to that conclusion.
Really? I don't see it at all.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
wow. if the PC version doesn't make a profit, expect to see Crysis 3 as a console game next time around.
Pirates? don't be stupid

Faky

Oct 15, 2009
As i see it, it is already a console game. Probable simplified so that it is possible to play on controller. And i guess i can expect a 3m wide corridor so that tards wont get lost and whine how bad the game is.

But yea, i won't pirate it now. I will wait for complete game and then try it out. If the game turns out awesome (which i doubt) i may just buy it. I am just done buying console ports, but i will support them if i don't find it that way - i promise.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
I say in response crytek should release a single player demo. I am not fully interested in the multiplayer. Sure crysis wars was fun, but after a bit it became futuristic call of duty and I stopped. I am just interested to see how the single player plays out, and hope that they do some flashbacks to the first, and the surviving team makes an appearance. Psycho was too awesome to leave out of something like this.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
I would rip out all the DRM if I was them. At least then they would have a slightly superior product. It isn't going to do anything anyway now.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
endnuen said:
ProfessorLayton said:
endnuen said:
Pirates have actually done some good for pc gaming, they forced the prices to drop. That is not the case with PS3 games for instance.. Is there any reasonable explanation for the steep prices console games have? No.
Sure, that's good for the consumers, but not so much for the devs themselves. And how is stealing someone's game helping prices go down? Now, if they want to make any money, they'd have to price their games higher.

Like I've said before, I'm going to support these guys and actually buy the game. Not that I wasn't planning on that to begin with...
Supply and demand actually. If high is supply and low in demand, prices drop in order to sell more. If high demand and low supply, they can set prices at will, due to demand.
When a game gets pirated the demand declines, as the consumer doesn't need to pay. I would buy a lot more games if the price weren't so ridiculously high.
And no, I don't pirate, I play games on my PS3.
That's like saying that the market would be helped by someone robbing LG's warehouses and selling the wares for cheap in order to drive down TV prices. It's supply and demand, yes, but it's still illegal and pretty much a "dick move".

OT: Poor Devs. People really have no shame, do they?

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
endnuen said:
Pirates have actually done some good for pc gaming, they forced the prices to drop. That is not the case with PS3 games for instance.. Is there any reasonable explanation for the steep prices console games have? No.
I'm sure you expected some backlash when you made this comment, so here's my bit.

You equate lower prices to some universal good. This is not the case at all. Lower prices mean a better deal for the consumer, but they can often drive a developer out of business if they're forced upon them.

And yes, there is a reasonable explanation for the steep prices console games have. The developers valued their work at that price, and the company manufacturing the console decided on the extra premium it would bring in by allowing their console to host a developer's game. If you make something, and you decide on a price for it, that is the price. It's not some consumer's fantasy about what they wish the game cost.

I'm sure you've heard this before, but it's simple. If you think the price is too high, don't buy it. "Don't buy it", however, does NOT mean steal/pirate it. If you take the latter approach, then you've just robbed an innocent developer of their money, all in the name of an arrogant, selfish cause.

(Note that I don't use "you" here to mean you specifically; I'm referring to a pirate in general; obviously, I have no evidence that you've pirated anything, so I have no reason to target this at you directly.)

Moeez

May 28, 2009
I just had to check out how it looks, and all my fears of Crysis 2 feeling consolised were thrown out the window. It has everything the first game has, better narrative drive, and epic setpiece moments to go along with the focus on human civilians and alien invasion.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
endnuen said:
Anton P. Nym said:
Exactly how many middle-of-the-road, generic, broadest-possible-appeal, no-risks-taken games are you willing to buy to support this business model?
None. Which is why I am against the steep prices. Had the majority of the games been gems it would be justifiable. But they aren't, so it isn't.
I'll grant that you are entirely within your rights to have that opinion. I should, however, point out the consequences.

Games cost money to make, and big games cost a lot of money in the days of HD/60fps graphics with 7.1-channel sound. Developers are either going to aim for a small market and charge a high enough price to make back the costs on a few sales, or are going to aim for a big market and hope to make back the costs over a lot of sales... they're not going to aim for a niche and charge low, unless they go the indie route and use minimal graphics and as little code as possible.

That's why you see so many games with huge graphics targeting the broadest market possible, and so many developers repeating the same, proven formulas over and over again. And that's why you see so few developers taking chances on leading-edge stuff, because failure is so expensive one can kill an entire studio.

Developers won't look at your post and say, "My goodness, we really have to work to gain the support of this gamer demographic! Let's get cracking!" Instead, they'll look at it and say, "My goodness, there's no way we can gain the support this gamer demographic and afford 3 meals a day! We'll just have to write 'em off." The result? Even fewer titles you're looking for.

So, yes, you are within your rights to demand more... but I think you might want to consider the consequences of doing so.

-- Steve